    Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

    --
    John B

    John B, Sep 24, 2004

  2. John B

    Evil Bastard Guest

    John B wrote:
    > Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

    Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.

    Question is, which year?

    --
    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Sep 25, 2004

  3. John B

    John B Guest

    Evil Bastard wrote:
    > John B wrote:
    >> Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct
    >> 24th?

    > Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.
    >
    > Question is, which year?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > EB

    Yeah but...what are the plans?

    --
    John B

    John B, Sep 25, 2004
  4. John B

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:46:15 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    >> Anyone got the buzz on the new Jetstream plans to be implemented Oct 24th?

    > Confirmed for rollout on Oct 24.
    >
    > Question is, which year?

    While the new plans look OK (still pretty expensive), I hope the commerce
    commission bites Telecom hard for dragging it's heels over UBS and makes
    them introduce faster speeds to it in line with better overseas examples.
    Telecom is obviously 'punishing' ISP's and consumers for backing UBS by
    playing silly games with wholesale contracts that are delayed, and
    rewarding those who stay with Telecom's plans.

    Telecom needs to be shown who runs this country and shown penalties for
    artificially restricting the progress of it.

    --

    .... Brendan

    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 1:17:12 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 25, 2004
  5. John B

    traviscn Guest

  6. John B

    John B Guest

    John B, Sep 25, 2004
  7. John B

    PseUDO Guest

    traviscn wrote:
    > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3096&page=index

    Still looks pretty confusing, jetstream surf plan which most people are
    on, will become "jetstream explorer" 256k down 128k up 3GB limit but if
    you go over tht amount instead of paying more money you get dropped down
    to a 64k speed for the remaining time left on your plan for that month.

    New "jetstream plus" 2Mbps down 192k up, 10GB $59.95 + isp fee.
    I guess that should work out at a download speed of 248Kbps or their
    abouts ??

    This bit is good-
    "All existing Surf customers will automatically receive the benefits of
    flat-rate internet on their current plan during November and do not need
    to do anything to make this change."

    All jetstream customers will be advised of new plans over the next
    month, and be able to upgrade to a new plan if they wish.

    With most of us on the 3GB surf plan, their is really only the new
    explorer plan , to upgrade to, for an extra $20 p/month or $240 p/year
    to have 248K download speeds (or their abouts) instead of 32K ??, is it
    worth an extra $240 a year?

    Still good to see the new plans coming in- we have come a long way in
    the last 2 years!

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Sep 25, 2004
  8. John B

    Mutley Guest

    PseUDO <> wrote:

    >traviscn wrote:
    >> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3096&page=index
    >>

    >Still looks pretty confusing, jetstream surf plan which most people are
    >on, will become "jetstream explorer" 256k down 128k up 3GB limit but if
    >you go over tht amount instead of paying more money you get dropped down
    >to a 64k speed for the remaining time left on your plan for that month.
    >
    >New "jetstream plus" 2Mbps down 192k up, 10GB $59.95 + isp fee.
    >I guess that should work out at a download speed of 248Kbps or their
    >abouts ??
    >
    >This bit is good-
    >"All existing Surf customers will automatically receive the benefits of
    >flat-rate internet on their current plan during November and do not need
    >to do anything to make this change."
    >
    >All jetstream customers will be advised of new plans over the next
    >month, and be able to upgrade to a new plan if they wish.
    >
    >With most of us on the 3GB surf plan, their is really only the new
    >explorer plan , to upgrade to, for an extra $20 p/month or $240 p/year
    >to have 248K download speeds (or their abouts) instead of 32K ??, is it
    >worth an extra $240 a year?
    >
    >Still good to see the new plans coming in- we have come a long way in
    >the last 2 years!
    >
    >PseUDO

    Wonder how this will effect the ISPs like Orcon and their new all you
    can eat 256K plans or will they be locked out of this 2Meg plan??

    Mutley, Sep 25, 2004
  9. John B

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 16:45:50 +1200, traviscn wrote:

    > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3096&page=index

    Broadband will still be capped, and still rate-limited.

    It is *STILL* not full speed, uncapped, and flat-rate broadband.

    It *still* costs more than twice that of dialup for Telecom subscribers,
    and costs nearly three times dialup for non-Telecom subscribers.

    If Telecom really wants people to move to broadband, then it should
    provide true full-speed broadband both up and down, and should permit home
    users to run their own servers.

    Anything else is not a mature broadband service.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 25, 2004
  10. John B

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:24:35 +1200, Brendan wrote:

    > Telecom needs to be shown who runs this country and shown penalties for
    > artificially restricting the progress of it.

    History would suggest it was/is the Labour Government.

    Gordon, Sep 25, 2004
  11. John B

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:19:21 +1200, wrote:

    > If Telecom really wants people to move to broadband, then it should
    > provide true full-speed broadband both up and down, and should permit home
    > users to run their own servers.

    And what makes you think this? Telecom is after $$$. The lack of the LEVEL
    PLAYING FEILD, was that an echo from the past?, ensures this is possible
    is large amounts.

    Gordon, Sep 25, 2004
  12. John B

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:57:56 +1200, John B wrote:

    > Yeah but...what are the plans?

    Only one, to make money, as much as possible.

    Gordon, Sep 25, 2004
  13. John B

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:45:42 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    >> Telecom needs to be shown who runs this country and shown penalties for
    >> artificially restricting the progress of it.

    > History would suggest it was/is the Labour Government.

    I think it's safe to assume that the shit OUT of Telecom since it was sold
    by Labour, IS the fault of TELECOM.

    --

    .... Brendan

    Sleep is for wimps. Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps nonetheless.

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 10:47:42 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 25, 2004
  14. John B

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:47:57 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    >> If Telecom really wants people to move to broadband, then it should
    >> provide true full-speed broadband both up and down, and should permit home
    >> users to run their own servers.

    > And what makes you think this? Telecom is after $$$. The lack of the LEVEL
    > PLAYING FEILD, was that an echo from the past?, ensures this is possible
    > is large amounts.

    And this is why Telecom should be forced to provide true uncapped
    unrestricted broadband (ie full speed DSL) access and should permit people
    to run their own servers - and should do so at a price that is affordable
    to ordinary people - and NOT at an inflated price-gouging rate.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 26, 2004
  15. John B

    samg Guest

    samg, Sep 26, 2004
  16. Suddenly, samg sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > 10 gig is still a piddly amount. Most game demos are around 400 meg these
    > days, let alone streaming any video.

    Although, to their credit, the Jetstream Games domain does provide most
    of the popular demos
    e.g.

    http://beyondunreal.jetstreamgames.co.nz/

    and that is full rate, unlimited downloads. I usually get around
    600kB/sec, and two connections at once.

    If it wasn't such a hassle to change my modem over I would use it more.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Sep 26, 2004
  17. Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>10 gig is still a piddly amount. Most game demos are around 400 meg these
    >>days, let alone streaming any video.

    > Although, to their credit, the Jetstream Games domain does provide most
    > of the popular demos

    but that'll be gone once the bit-stream access comes in.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 26, 2004
  18. John B

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <Xns957022F9FFC86samg@203.97.37.6>, samg <>
    wrote:

    > "traviscn" <> wrote in news:NK65d.6366$JQ4.518365
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    > > http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3096&page=index
    > >

    > 10 gig is still a piddly amount. Most game demos are around 400 meg these
    > days, let alone streaming any video.

    well me and my boys use adsl all the time and I barely make 2G, so 10G
    will be excellent and I have swapped over to get the new plan, it will
    also allow me to run a server (dyndns.org based dns) and still keep
    within the cap.

    whoisthis, Sep 26, 2004
  19. John B

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <pan.2004.09.26.02.16.54.547303@TRACKER>,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 19:47:57 +1200, Gordon wrote:
    >
    > >> If Telecom really wants people to move to broadband, then it should
    > >> provide true full-speed broadband both up and down, and should permit home
    > >> users to run their own servers.

    > > And what makes you think this? Telecom is after $$$. The lack of the LEVEL
    > > PLAYING FEILD, was that an echo from the past?, ensures this is possible
    > > is large amounts.

    > And this is why Telecom should be forced to provide true uncapped
    > unrestricted broadband (ie full speed DSL) access and should permit people
    > to run their own servers - and should do so at a price that is affordable
    > to ordinary people - and NOT at an inflated price-gouging rate.
    >

    > Divine

    yet if it was so profitable then why do we not see clear/telstra/saturn
    putting in their own cable ?

    whoisthis, Sep 26, 2004
  20. John B

    samg Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in

    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>>10 gig is still a piddly amount. Most game demos are around 400 meg
    >>>these days, let alone streaming any video.

    >> Although, to their credit, the Jetstream Games domain does provide most
    >> of the popular demos

    > but that'll be gone once the bit-stream access comes in.

    exactly

    samg, Sep 26, 2004