New items for Sony NEX and Alpha

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bruce, Aug 3, 2011.

  1. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    I would normally hesitate to describe anything from Sony as 'exciting'
    but the new products due to be announced at the end of this month are
    exactly that.

    For NEX there is the new NEX-7 body with 24 MP EXMOR sensor and a
    'prosumer' interface that will delight photography enthusiasts. The
    NEX-5 also gets a new sensor to become NEX-5N. There is a new
    55-210mm f/4-6.3 zoom lens.

    Alpha enthusiasts get the new A77 SLT camera body with 24 MP EXMOR
    sensor. There is also a new A65 using the same 24 MP sensor but more
    limited features at a lower price. There is a new 16-50mm f/2.8 lens
    aimed at buyers of the A77 and a rather nice Carl Zeiss 24mm f/1.8.

    Both the A77 and the 16-50mm f/2.8 lens have weather sealing.

    There is also a Sony NEX-VG20 NEX camcorder to replace the VG10.

    Verdict:
    NEX is already a huge success and, with these new additions, looks
    likely to overtake Panasonic at the top of the CSC (compact system
    camera) sales statistics before long IMHO. The NEX-7 will be the only
    genuine prosumer CSC body yet offered - the Panasonic GH2 may suit
    some videographers but, for stills, the NEX-7 is way ahead.

    Alpha sales are still falling here. The A77 will energise some A700
    owners who have been patiently awaiting a replacement, but it may not
    attract the new customers Sony desperately needs.

    The fact the A77 is an SLT will deter some A700 owners from trading
    up. The Nikon D300 replacement will use the same 24 MP EXMOR sensor
    so that is likely to be the DSLR of choice for those wanting such a
    high pixel count on DX/APS-C.

    The A65 will offer 24 MP at a lower price. However, it still may not
    attract new customers, especially when the NEX-7 is so attractive.

    I predict NEX sales will be stronger than ever, but Alpha sales will
    remain weak. Sony's reliance on SLT technology for new Alpha models
    is, in my humble opinion, a grave error.
    Bruce, Aug 3, 2011

  2. Bruce

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: New items for Sony NEX and Alpha (spam)

    Bruce <> wrote:
    >I would normally hesitate to describe anything from Sony as 'exciting'
    >but the new products due to be announced at the end of this month are
    >exactly that.

    I don't normally aszsume that people are being paid to promote company
    products, but your blather sounds just like it came from the marketing
    weenies at Sony.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 7, 2011

  3. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:51:27 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : I would normally hesitate to describe anything from Sony as 'exciting'
    : but ...
    : [Description of predicted new Sony products omitted]
    :
[...]

    You never seem to be picking up any significant rumors from Canon. Are they
    just unusually successful at keeping their secrets, or are they actually
    determined to sit this round out? A D300 with a 24MP sensor would seem to be
    not only a shot across the 7D's bow but a potential threat to the aging 5D2,
    which was underwhelming to some (including you, IIRC) the day it was
    introduced. And that's even without the putative D700x.

    I wasn't impressed by Canon's offerings last time either. The T3i is at best a
    minor improvement on the T2i, and the 60D is inferior in significant ways to
    the 50D. You get the feeling that there's another shoe for them to drop, but
    are they going to be ready to act?

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 7, 2011
  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >You never seem to be picking up any significant rumors from Canon. Are they
    >just unusually successful at keeping their secrets, or are they actually
    >determined to sit this round out? A D300 with a 24MP sensor would seem to be
    >not only a shot across the 7D's bow but a potential threat to the aging 5D2,
    >which was underwhelming to some (including you, IIRC) the day it was
    >introduced. And that's even without the putative D700x.
    >
    >I wasn't impressed by Canon's offerings last time either. The T3i is at best a
    >minor improvement on the T2i, and the 60D is inferior in significant ways to
    >the 50D. You get the feeling that there's another shoe for them to drop, but
    >are they going to be ready to act?

    I'm sorry if you feel I am leaving Canon out. It's true that Canon
    have been better at keeping secrets, but Nikon has caught up - to the
    point that not even Thom Hogan (a highly respected Nikon expert) knows
    what's happening. Thom is now forced to recycle other people's
    rumours rather than just interpret what he got from Nikon.

    However, I do have some news on the Canon 1D front. The 1D Mark V is
    ready for release and will probably be announced in late August/early
    September 2011 with deliveries following immediately. The full frame
    sensor will have more than 32 MP but it will also offer APS-H and
    APS-C shooting options with reduced pixel count.

    There will be a 5D Mark III announced early in 2012. There has been
    no mention of a 1Ds Mark IV which leads me to conclude that the Mark
    III could well be the last 1Ds that Canon makes.

    There will be a 7D Mark II later in 2012.

    I get the impression that Canon's investment in DSLRs will not be as
    high in the next 5 years as in the last 5 years. Canon has appeared
    not to care too much about Nikon and some CSCs (compact system
    cameras) stealing DSLR market share. Of course it is fair to say that
    Nikon is more dependent on the success of its camera division than
    Canon is.

    Some more Nikon news (or at least the hottest of rumours!): the
    mirrorless system is likely to be announced within the next two
    months. It has a sensor that is smaller than Four Thirds - rumoured
    to be a 1" rather than 4/3" format, with a 3:2 aspect ratio giving a
    focal length multiplier of 2.7 from full frame. There will be three
    lenses; a wide angle prime, a standard zoom and a telephoto zoom. It
    appears designed so as not to harm sales of APS-C DSLRs.

    The Sony NEX is already (IMHO) the king of the CSCs. Sony will have
    nothing to fear from Nikon's CSC. The Nikon product might take sales
    from Four Thirds. It might well demolish the Pentax Q System; the
    camera/lenses will be equally small but should give better results
    because of the larger sensor.

    It doesn't interest me personally. I will probably buy an NEX-7.
    Bruce, Aug 7, 2011
  5. Bruce

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:00:01 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    : Robert Coe <> wrote:
    : >You never seem to be picking up any significant rumors from Canon. Are they
    : >just unusually successful at keeping their secrets, or are they actually
    : >determined to sit this round out? A D300 with a 24MP sensor would seem to be
    : >not only a shot across the 7D's bow but a potential threat to the aging 5D2,
    : >which was underwhelming to some (including you, IIRC) the day it was
    : >introduced. And that's even without the putative D700x.
    : >
    : >I wasn't impressed by Canon's offerings last time either. The T3i is at best a
    : >minor improvement on the T2i, and the 60D is inferior in significant ways to
    : >the 50D. You get the feeling that there's another shoe for them to drop, but
    : >are they going to be ready to act?
    :
    :
    : I'm sorry if you feel I am leaving Canon out.

    Not at all. I assumed that if you heard anything you could tell us without
    compromising your sources, you would. ;^)

    : It's true that Canon have been better at keeping secrets, but Nikon has
    : caught up - to the point that not even Thom Hogan (a highly respected
    : Nikon expert) knows what's happening. Thom is now forced to recycle
    : other people's rumours rather than just interpret what he got from Nikon.

    Remember that incident a few years ago when some wardriver claimed he had
    filched a top secret Canon or Nikon memo (I forget which) from an unprotected
    wifi access point? Everybody knew that was hoax from Day 1.

    : However, I do have some news on the Canon 1D front. The 1D Mark V is
    : ready for release and will probably be announced in late August/early
    : September 2011 with deliveries following immediately. The full frame
    : sensor will have more than 32 MP but it will also offer APS-H and
    : APS-C shooting options with reduced pixel count.

    To allow the use of lenses in those formats? But if you're able to pay for
    (and willing to lug around) a 1D, why would you care?

    : There will be a 5D Mark III announced early in 2012.

    With better dynamic range, a less archaic AF system, and possibly more
    megapixels, one supposes. Any other predicted improvements (i.e., something
    that could make me salivate for FF even though I still couldn't afford it)?

    : There has been no mention of a 1Ds Mark IV which leads me to conclude
    : that the Mark III could well be the last 1Ds that Canon makes.

    What would be the point of a 1Ds4 if the 1D5 is FF with 32MP?

    : There will be a 7D Mark II later in 2012.

    It's a little less obvious what they'd do to the 7D. That 24MP sensor off the
    Sony, perhaps?

    : I get the impression that Canon's investment in DSLRs will not be as
    : high in the next 5 years as in the last 5 years. Canon has appeared
    : not to care too much about Nikon and some CSCs (compact system
    : cameras) stealing DSLR market share.

    Of all things you could have said, that scares me the most. We all (not just
    we Canonians) need both Canon and Nikon to stay in the game.

    : Of course it is fair to say that Nikon is more dependent on the success
    : of its camera division than Canon is.

    Well let me say this to Canon: Our latest multifunction printer/copier at work
    is a Ricoh, and I like it a lot. And I'm not even a great fan of multifunction
    devices. Stick to your roots and keep making better cameras.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 8, 2011
  6. Bruce

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:00:01 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:

    >: However, I do have some news on the Canon 1D front. The 1D Mark V is
    >: ready for release and will probably be announced in late August/early
    >: September 2011 with deliveries following immediately. The full frame
    >: sensor will have more than 32 MP but it will also offer APS-H and
    >: APS-C shooting options with reduced pixel count.
    >
    >To allow the use of lenses in those formats? But if you're able to pay for
    >(and willing to lug around) a 1D, why would you care?

    32MP is a lot of data. If you can shoot faster at an APC-C size then
    that would be a plus.

    >: There will be a 5D Mark III announced early in 2012.
    >
    >With better dynamic range, a less archaic AF system, and possibly more
    >megapixels, one supposes.

    Probably to match the sensor technology used in the 7D.

    > Any other predicted improvements (i.e., something
    >that could make me salivate for FF even though I still couldn't afford it)?

    Fast contrast-detect autofocus would be high on my list.

    >: There will be a 7D Mark II later in 2012.
    >
    >It's a little less obvious what they'd do to the 7D. That 24MP sensor off the
    >Sony, perhaps?

    I don't see a lot of effort going into increasing pixel counts.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 8, 2011
  7. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:00:01 +0100, Bruce <> wrote:
    >: I'm sorry if you feel I am leaving Canon out.
    >
    >Not at all. I assumed that if you heard anything you could tell us without
    >compromising your sources, you would. ;^)

    That's about right, but there is an added layer of restrictions in the
    form of non-disclosure agreements. :-(

    >: However, I do have some news on the Canon 1D front. The 1D Mark V is
    >: ready for release and will probably be announced in late August/early
    >: September 2011 with deliveries following immediately. The full frame
    >: sensor will have more than 32 MP but it will also offer APS-H and
    >: APS-C shooting options with reduced pixel count.
    >
    >To allow the use of lenses in those formats? But if you're able to pay for
    >(and willing to lug around) a 1D, why would you care?

    I suppose that backward compatibility with the previous 1D is a
    selling point for that feature. Anyone who is firmly wedded to the
    use of particular focal lengths on an APS-H sensor may well like that
    feature. ;-)

    >: There will be a 5D Mark III announced early in 2012.
    >
    >With better dynamic range, a less archaic AF system, and possibly more
    >megapixels, one supposes. Any other predicted improvements (i.e., something
    >that could make me salivate for FF even though I still couldn't afford it)?

    More pixels, lower noise ...? Salivate at will. ;-)

    >: There has been no mention of a 1Ds Mark IV which leads me to conclude
    >: that the Mark III could well be the last 1Ds that Canon makes.
    >
    >What would be the point of a 1Ds4 if the 1D5 is FF with 32MP?

    Exactly.

    >: There will be a 7D Mark II later in 2012.
    >
    >It's a little less obvious what they'd do to the 7D. That 24MP sensor off the
    >Sony, perhaps?

    I was going to say that Canon won't ever use a Sony sensor, but
    several Canon P&S digicams have used Sony sensors.

    >: I get the impression that Canon's investment in DSLRs will not be as
    >: high in the next 5 years as in the last 5 years. Canon has appeared
    >: not to care too much about Nikon and some CSCs (compact system
    >: cameras) stealing DSLR market share.
    >
    >Of all things you could have said, that scares me the most. We all (not just
    >we Canonians) need both Canon and Nikon to stay in the game.

    True, the competition between them has driven some major improvements
    in features and image quality.

    >: Of course it is fair to say that Nikon is more dependent on the success
    >: of its camera division than Canon is.
    >
    >Well let me say this to Canon: Our latest multifunction printer/copier at work
    >is a Ricoh, and I like it a lot. And I'm not even a great fan of multifunction
    >devices. Stick to your roots and keep making better cameras.

    I'm not suggesting that Canon is cutting back on investment in digital
    photography. My point was that the fortunes of Nikon Corporation are
    more critically dependent on the success of the imaging division,
    whereas Canon is a more diverse group.
    Bruce, Aug 10, 2011