    gig Hd's /Nec dvdrw-Sony cdrw /Ag neovo 17"monito
    dragonbeat's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=90
    View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551
    dragonbeat, Jul 23, 2005

  2. AOL seems to be the only one having TCP/IP network issues with x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    "dragonbeat" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005

  3. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    Most ISP's don't have programs with drivers. Most allow you to just sign up
    and run the New Connection Wizard to enter your information.

    You might start here http://www.freedomlist.com/

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  4. I think he must refering to like those online services that use to come
    bundled with Windows 98 in the Online Services folder.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  5. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    Why do you think that? There are thousands of good ISP's around the various
    countries that have all kinds of plans.

    John Barnes, Jul 23, 2005
  6. dragonbeat

    E.B. Farnum Guest

    Net Zero, Verizon, Bellsouth, AT&T, MSN, People PC just to name a few.
    Whether or not they work on X64 is anybody's guess.

    I use Bellsouth DSL and it works fine.
    Are you planning on a DSL type of service?
    If so, plan on using a modem that uses an Ethernet connection...NOT USB.

    If you really wanted to, you could also use AOL Explorer which works fine on
    the X64 platform.

    E.B. Farnum Mayor
    Deadwood
    Dakota Territory

    Git er Done

    Post On Mi Amigo

    E.B. Farnum, Jul 23, 2005
  7. Nostalgia I guess.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 23, 2005
  8. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    Most of those are gone; reorganised, bought out or planted. :)

    John Barnes, Jul 24, 2005
  9. Earthlink is still around, btw, I just remembered them, Earthlink, AOL,
    Compuserv, AT&T and MSN

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 24, 2005
  10. dragonbeat

    J. Bush Guest

    Well, here in Florida, I see local advertisements every day of the week for
    People PC, Netzero, Verizon and many others.

    They must be doing business in other places as well.

    J.Bush Governor
    Hallatassee, Florida

    Its Good To Have a Brother In High Places!

    J. Bush, Jul 24, 2005
  11. dragonbeat wrote:
    > yes i do use aol at the moment ,but for the coming installation of
    > windows x64 i'll be looking for a new isp.the reason im asking is to
    > find out which one will work with x64 ( drivers etc ).so im hoping to
    > receive my copy of x64 before august 6 ( the date i can migrate to
    > another isp )and be to set myself up ready with another isp.

    A true ISP requires no "drivers" or other software be installed on the
    local computer, so there's no compatibility issue. All one need do is
    configure one's networking features (whether dial-up or broadband) to
    connect to the ISP's servers. The ISP will be able to provide precise
    instructions. Simply look in your local telephone directory, or ask a
    few of your neighbors which ISP(s) they use.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jul 24, 2005
  12. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    I am pretty sure CompuServe is gone, and Earthlink has really gone downhill
    since they merged with Mindspring. I tried them last year and they were
    putting banner ads on websites I pay not to have them.

    John Barnes, Jul 24, 2005
  13. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    PeoplePC, Netzero and Juno have overhead programs like AOL I don't want.
    Just give me and ISP where I can set up a new connection in windows and have
    a blank start page.

    John Barnes, Jul 24, 2005
  14. Virtually every other ISP except AOL will be fine. You don't need a driver to
    have an ISP. The ISP will provide precise instructions -- just tell them you
    have "Windows XP", and worry about it. If it's DSL, you'll probably need to
    set up PPoE, if it's cable, probably just DHCP.

    1.) do NOT choose any DSL/Cable modem that is plugged in to your computer
    directly.
    2.) do NOT connect to it via USB
    3.) DO use ethernet to connect
    4.) DO use a standalone DSL/Cable Modem.
    5.) Consider getting an "internet gateway" (ie, router) to connect to your
    ISP. This will allow you to have multiple computers connected to a single IP
    address.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 24, 2005
  15. Thank goodness none of them don't work in the Caribbean, I wish MSN did
    though.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 24, 2005
  16. dragonbeat

    John Barnes Guest

    Funny, it doesn't even work here in eastern Washington. Anyway I hate that
    program they try to get you to install, but you can pay three times what
    others charge and set it up manually.

    John Barnes, Jul 24, 2005
  17. dragonbeat

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Dragonbeat.

    Must you use a Big-Boy ISP? I've been using a hometown ISP ever since a
    local college boy was the first to bring the Internet to San Marcos in 1995.
    The little ISP's have been bought out by bigger ones, and I now use the
    (current) survivor, which is a large local ISP (Grande Communications, based
    here in San Marcos, but serviing an expanding territory with both cable and
    ADSL - which is what I use). I did have to re-enter my connecton info (IP#,
    DNS addresses, etc.) after installing WinXP x64, just as I did after each
    installation and reinstallation of 32-bit Windows, but my DSL modem "just
    works" with x64; I guess whatever drivers it needs are in x64. My EPoX mobo
    has built-in 1GB Ethernet and the modem is from Westell.

    Your ISP does not have to be world-wide or even nationwide, or someone that
    anybody else has ever heard of. Unless you want all that "added content"
    that I never look at anyhow. I do have MSN, but I reach it through my
    always-on Grande connection. AOL, CompuServe - and probably others - can
    also be reached this way if you really want to see what they offer.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 25, 2005
  18. dragonbeat

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    I'm using Comcast High Speed Internet (4 Mbps Download, 384 Kbps Upload),
    and I love it 100%!

    Kevin Panzke, Jul 26, 2005