    IE.
    TIA
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003

  2. bassbag

    °Mike° Guest

    In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
    the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
    it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
    <>
    bassbag scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003

  3. bassbag

    CB Guest

    bassbag wrote:
    || How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    || making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
    || it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    || shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    || on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    || "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
    || file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
    || internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
    || TIA
    || me

    Don't use http:\

    Only use www.argos.co.uk
    This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send to
    desktop as a shortcut;-)

    CB
    --
    Craven Bird News

    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds
    CB, Dec 22, 2003
  4. bassbag

    CB Guest

    bassbag wrote:
    || How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    || making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
    || it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    || shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    || on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    || "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
    || file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
    || internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
    || TIA
    || me

    http:\\ ( 2 back-slashes work) ;-)

    CB

    CB, Dec 22, 2003
  5. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
    > the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
    > it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
    >

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
    > <>
    > bassbag scrawled:
    >
    > >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
    > >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    > >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
    > >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
    > >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
    > >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
    > >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
    > >IE.
    > >TIA
    > >me

    Thanks .Tried that and there seems to be a file association problem as
    the shortcut didnt have IE associated with it and always use this
    programme to open this type of file is greyed out..mmm
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  6. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <bs7h9n$afrlt$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > bassbag wrote:
    > || How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    > || making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
    > || it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    > || shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    > || on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    > || "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
    > || file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
    > || internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
    > || TIA
    > || me
    >
    > Don't use http:\
    >
    > Only use www.argos.co.uk
    > This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send to
    > desktop as a shortcut;-)
    >
    > CB

    Had the same result , however on further examination there seems to be
    some file association problems , any ideas how to set default file
    assocaitions?
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  7. bassbag

    Rob Guest

    bassbag wrote:
    | How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    | making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    | automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    | shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    | on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    | "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the file
    | "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet
    | url.Hes using XP home and IE.
    | TIA
    | me

    What you describe should work, however there are easier ways.

    1. Make the open browser page less than maximised, grab the title bar
    and move it down so you can see the desktop. Click the icon at the
    beginning of the address line and move it to the desktop.

    or

    2. Have the favourites pane open then you can add as many as you like to
    the desktop using the same method.

    or

    3. On the menu bar of the open web page, go to FILE > SEND > Shortcut to
    desktop.

    --
    Rob
    Rob, Dec 22, 2003
  8. bassbag

    CB Guest

    bassbag wrote:
    || In article <bs7h9n$afrlt$-berlin.de>,
    || says...
    ||| Don't use http:\
    ||| Only use www.argos.co.uk
    ||| This works, also why not just use right click on webpage and send
    ||| to desktop as a shortcut;-)
    ||| CB
    || Had the same result , however on further examination there seems to
    || be some file association problems , any ideas how to set default file
    || assocaitions?
    || me

    Help it has all info there;-)

    CB

    CB, Dec 22, 2003
  9. bassbag

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 19:59:29 -0000, in
    <>
    bassbag scrawled:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
    >> the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
    >> it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> bassbag scrawled:
    >>
    >> >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
    >> >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    >> >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
    >> >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
    >> >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
    >> >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
    >> >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
    >> >IE.
    >> >TIA
    >> >me

    >Thanks .Tried that and there seems to be a file association problem as
    >the shortcut didnt have IE associated with it and always use this
    >programme to open this type of file is greyed out..mmm
    >me

    Repair Internet Explorer.

    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP

    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  10. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
    > the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
    > it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
    >

    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
    > <>
    > bassbag scrawled:
    >
    > >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
    > >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    > >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
    > >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
    > >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
    > >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
    > >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
    > >IE.
    > >TIA
    > >me

    Thanks for assistance..it seems a system restore has fixed the file
    corruption and it (new internet shortcut) now works as you said it
    should.
    Thanks again
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  11. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <bs7hn8$ah3hs$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > bassbag wrote:
    > || How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    > || making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk)
    > || it automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    > || shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    > || on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    > || "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the
    > || file "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.It says this for any
    > || internet url.Hes using XP home and IE.
    > || TIA
    > || me
    >
    > http:\\ ( 2 back-slashes work) ;-)
    >
    > CB

    Thanks for assistance..have done a system restore and its now working as
    it should.I dont have xp and my friends new to it so we assumed that
    maybe the new internet shortcut didnt work in xp , but it seems that the
    file associations were coruppted.
    Thanks again
    me
    bassbag, Dec 22, 2003
  12. bassbag

    Senti Guest

    bassbag did mumble with his mouth full...

    > How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    > making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    > automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    > shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    > on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    > "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the file
    > "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.

    ^^^^^^
    That should read http://www.argos.co.uk
    (Not the // after the :)

    Not sure if it's a typo that you copied over from the shortcut or not...

    --
    ~SF~
    Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus
    Senti, Dec 22, 2003
  13. bassbag

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:21:10 -0000, in
    <>
    bassbag scrawled:

    >In article <>,
    > says...
    >> In your browser -- assuming IE -- press ALT+A+ENTER, to bookmark
    >> the page, then drag the bookmark to the desktop. I don't know why
    >> it wouldn't work the way you mentioned.
    >>

    >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:49:42 -0000, in
    >> <>
    >> bassbag scrawled:
    >>
    >> >How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when making
    >> >a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    >> >automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet shortcut
    >> >and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However on a friends
    >> >XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut "type the location
    >> >of the item" box and press next , it says the file "http:www.argos.co.uk
    >> >cannot be found"?.It says this for any internet url.Hes using XP home and
    >> >IE.
    >> >TIA
    >> >me

    >Thanks for assistance..it seems a system restore has fixed the file
    >corruption and it (new internet shortcut) now works as you said it
    >should.
    >Thanks again
    >me

    You only had to repair IE.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  14. bassbag

    CB Guest

    Maybe not at all! http:\www.argos.co.uk a forward or backslash missing;-)

    CB, Dec 22, 2003
  15. bassbag

    °Mike° Guest

    On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:38:20 -0000, in
    <bs7rov$ae52h$-berlin.de>
    CB scrawled:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >|| On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:21:10 -0000, in
    >|| <>
    >|| bassbag scrawled:
    >|| You only had to repair IE.
    >|| --
    >|| Basic computer maintenance
    >|| http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    >
    >Maybe not at all! http:\www.argos.co.uk a forward or backslash missing;-)

    That was obviously a typo, as h/s said that everything works after
    a system restore.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Dec 22, 2003
  16. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <bs7n0j$algco$-berlin.de>,
    says...
    > bassbag did mumble with his mouth full...
    >
    > > How do you make a new internet shortcut using XP?.With 98/se when
    > > making a new shortcut with a url(for example http:\www.argos.co.uk) it
    > > automatically recognizes it as a url and labels it new internet
    > > shortcut and makes it on the desktop or wherever you make it,However
    > > on a friends XP system when the url is pasted in the new shortcut
    > > "type the location of the item" box and press next , it says the file
    > > "http:www.argos.co.uk cannot be found"?.

    > ^^^^^^
    > That should read http://www.argos.co.uk
    > (Not the // after the :)
    >
    > Not sure if it's a typo that you copied over from the shortcut or not...

    Yes it was a typing error.it read what you just typed
    http://www.argos.co.uk
    me
    bassbag, Dec 23, 2003
  17. bassbag

    bassbag Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:38:20 -0000, in
    > <bs7rov$ae52h$-berlin.de>
    > CB scrawled:

    > >Maybe not at all! http:\www.argos.co.uk a forward or backslash missing;-)

    > That was obviously a typo, as h/s said that everything works after
    > a system restore.

    Correct about the typo :)
    me
    bassbag, Dec 23, 2003
  18. bassbag

    CB Guest

    °Mike° wrote:
    || On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 22:38:20 -0000, in
    || <bs7rov$ae52h$-berlin.de>
    || CB scrawled:
    ||| Maybe not at all! http:\www.argos.co.uk a forward or backslash
    ||| missing;-)
    || That was obviously a typo, as h/s said that everything works after
    || a system restore.
    || --
    || Basic computer maintenance
    || http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

    HeHe! Was it? Well, all well and good :-0 Waste of time then replying!

    CB

    CB, Dec 23, 2003