New Intel HD display technology

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. From IMDB today:

    > Intel is expected to disclose next month that it has developed a new
    > type of semiconductor that could make it possible for relatively
    > thin, 50-inch, high-definition TV sets costing less than $1,000 to be
    > available to consumers by the holiday season next year, the New York
    > Times reported today (Wednesday), citing executives close to the
    > company. The new technology, which Intel President and COO Paul
    > Otellini is expected to unveil at the Consumer Electronics Show in
    > Las Vegas, opening Jan. 8, employs a system of tiny electronic
    > shutters that can reflect light onto a low-cost flat panel to produce
    > a high-definition picture that equals or exceeds the quality of
    > current plasma and LCD displays, the Times reported.

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Grand Inquisitor, says...

    > > Intel is expected to disclose next month that it has developed a new
    > > type of semiconductor that could make it possible for relatively
    > > thin, 50-inch, high-definition TV sets costing less than $1,000

    I read that, too. Very interesting article. But since I already have an
    HD display, I'd prefer if Intel would come up with a way to make cheap
    HD-DVDs, and cheap HD DirectTivos (like in the $300 range, not the $699
    ones comming to market soon). Ah well, can't have everything.

    Mark Spatny, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    John Savard Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:06:19 GMT, Grand Inquisitor
    <> quoted, in part:

    > From IMDB today:
    >
    >> The new technology,
    >> employs a system of tiny electronic
    >> shutters that can reflect light onto a low-cost flat panel to produce
    >> a high-definition picture

    Didn't Texas Instruments already invent something like this? But
    theirs little involved moving mirrors: if Intel's method doesn't use
    moving parts, but instead an electronic effect changing the opacity or
    reflectivity of areas on a chip, it may well be lower in cost.

    Particularly as such a method might allow color from a single chip...

    John Savard

    John Savard, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Grand Inquisitor

    3W Guest

    "John Savard" <> wrote in message
    > Didn't Texas Instruments already invent something like this?

    DLP.

    3W, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor

    Ollie T Guest

    "DLP"

    But DLP is not cheaper than the others. Most I have seen are still in the
    $3000 range.

    HDTV games lists and discussion
    http://www.hdtvarcade.com

    Ollie T, Dec 18, 2003