    goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device in
    one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one. What
    gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?
    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Sep 22, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
    > motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
    > Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
    > memory.
    > Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
    > motherboard.
    > Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
    > goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
    > in
    > one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
    > What
    > gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

    You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
    FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation of
    EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no Direct
    Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things that will
    allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2, PCI-E SLI,
    etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the Pentium 4 32 bit
    form factor...

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 22, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    Glenn Smith Guest

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >>I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
    >> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
    >> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
    >> memory.
    >> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
    >> motherboard.
    >> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
    >> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
    >> in
    >> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
    >> What
    >> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

    > You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
    > FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation
    > of EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no
    > Direct Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things
    > that will allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2,
    > PCI-E SLI, etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the
    > Pentium 4 32 bit form factor...
    >
    > Bobby

    Um, please don't take this the wrong way. AMD's are great for games, video,
    etc, but
    many folks code, code some more, and then continue coding. I just built a
    machine
    with Intel 945GTP, P4 640, works fine.
    I am not editing video, or playing games, so SATA2 and SLI can wait. I
    realize Intel has been
    behind the curve for a while, but you might want to drop your prejudice.
    This thing hums along,
    drivers all good, installs all good, and as a result, I have abandoned all
    32 bit applications, compilers, etc.
    Working with .NET 2.0 beta, SDK 2.0 beta, deep in the learning curve!

    Although, I'm sure microsoft will throw me a few hoops during compiling and
    testing.

    Glenn E. Smith
    Anode PC
    PC based Automation (robots, machines, not Office products!)

    San Diego, Ca, ...home of the tank boy
    Glenn Smith, Sep 22, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Glenn Smith" <> wrote in message

    > "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
    >>> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
    >>> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
    >>> memory.
    >>> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
    >>> motherboard.
    >>> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the
    >>> screen
    >>> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
    >>> in
    >>> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
    >>> What
    >>> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

    >> You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
    >> FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation
    >> of EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no
    >> Direct Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things
    >> that will allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2,
    >> PCI-E SLI, etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the
    >> Pentium 4 32 bit form factor...
    >>
    >> Bobby
    >>

    > Um, please don't take this the wrong way. AMD's are great for games,
    > video, etc, but
    > many folks code, code some more, and then continue coding. I just built a
    > machine
    > with Intel 945GTP, P4 640, works fine.
    > I am not editing video, or playing games, so SATA2 and SLI can wait. I
    > realize Intel has been
    > behind the curve for a while, but you might want to drop your prejudice.
    > This thing hums along,
    > drivers all good, installs all good, and as a result, I have abandoned all
    > 32 bit applications, compilers, etc.
    > Working with .NET 2.0 beta, SDK 2.0 beta, deep in the learning curve!
    >
    > Although, I'm sure microsoft will throw me a few hoops during compiling
    > and testing.
    >
    > Glenn E. Smith
    > Anode PC
    > PC based Automation (robots, machines, not Office products!)
    >
    > San Diego, Ca, ...home of the tank boy

    Glenn;

    I was for a very long time an Intel devotee, but no more. My post only
    begins to scratch the surface when it comes to how far behind they are in
    the modern CPU market. I hate to see them stagnate the way they have...it's
    really very sad.

    Anyone who take the time to check the facts (without listening to any of the
    hype), will soon realize that the only real choice is AMD. Intel is still
    stuck making chips on the P4 architecture and mating them to all the old
    bottlenecks (Northbridge chipset, not DCA, and the far over-hyped
    hyperthreading).

    Maybe when Intel finally gets it's act together and starts producing chips
    that are not hopelessly mired in yesterdays technology, I'll give them
    another look. Until then, it's AMD only for this household...currently have
    4 that replace top-of-the line P4 machines.

    I am happy that you are satisfied with the performance of your machine. I
    would just ask you to imagine how much faster it would be if it weren't in a
    motherboard that is stuck with a kludgey NB, no on die memory controller, no
    DCA, no Hypertransport, etc.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Sep 22, 2005
  5. Which splash screen, the Motherboard one, or the Windows one?

    If it started after the USB drive was added, remove the USB drive. Let's get
    this back to working and then we can figure out where the problem might be.

    Also, disable ANY overclocking you may have done.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  6. Yes, Bobby, but that doesn't help Steve get his machine running. We all know
    well by now how you feel about AMD v. Intel. Personally, I can see virtues
    in both technologies, and AMD is _way_ behind the curve in HyperThreading.
    Which _does_ help for may day to day tasks when you run as I do. OTOH, I
    love my two Athlon64 machines and my Turion64 Ferrari.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 22, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

    Rick Guest

    It may actually be the particular brand and/or model of USB device
    causing the problem. I have a "SMSC USB FDC USB Device" floppy drive
    that I had no problems with in XP Pro or Home, but when I tried to use
    it with Win x64, the appropriate PnP drive had been left out of the Win
    x64 distribution.

    Exactly what is the USB portable device you're having problems with?
    Did it previously work with 32-bit XP?

    Yes, Windows XP Professional x64 is ready for "Prime Time." But, there
    is a lot of 3rd party support, hardware and software, that is not ready
    for "Prime Time" and that is not Microsoft's fault.

    Rick, Sep 22, 2005
  8. The windows one

    Steve

    =?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Ah. The problem is that the USB drive is being seen as the first hard drive,
    and this is messing up your boot sequence. Remove the USB drive until after
    the system is booted.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64