New Horizons

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Mike Smith, Jul 19, 2003.

  1. Mike Smith

    Mike Smith Guest

    Well, what a week. I just completed a five day "cram" course on A+
    Certification at New Horizons. The instructor tried to teach us everything
    there is to know about computers in five days. Needless to say, he failed
    miserably. I'm not sorry I attended this course, especially since my
    employer paid for it, but there was simply no way for this guy to adequately
    go over everything in the time allotted to him. The best he could do was
    give us a very broad overview of what we needed to know.

    At least he was honest with us about the course. He told us that it was
    originally a five week course, but that they found people didn't want to
    attend such a long course. They originally offered this five day cram
    course for people who were already experienced technicians, who just needed
    a little brush up before taking the test. However, they found that novices
    began taking the course because it was shorter, and therefore, less
    expensive. Attendance at the five week course dropped to almost nothing, so
    much so that they ended up dropping it altogether and concentrating all
    their efforts on the five day cram course.

    I did learn a few things, and I got to experiment with someone else's
    computer for a while. The instructor was very experienced. It was obvious
    he knew what he was talking about. He had dozens of certifications, but he
    told us he really loved working with databases most of all. I could tell he
    was frustrated at times by the way he had to gloss over large portions of
    the provided text books.

    Anyway, I plan on studying hard for the Core Hardware part of the test next
    week, and take it around the end of the month. Assuming I pass, I'll
    immediately start studying for the OS part and take it a week or so later.
    Hopefully, by the middle of next month, I'll be A+ Certified. At least
    that's my plan right now. Wish me luck.

    Mike

    Mike Smith, Jul 19, 2003

  2. Mike Smith wrote:

    > Well, what a week. I just completed a five day "cram" course on A+
    > Certification at New Horizons. The instructor tried to teach us everything

    [Snip]

    Mike,

    I used to run 5 day "cram" courses for some well known UK-based training
    companies and despite clear briefings to the sales teams, I often found
    that many of the students on the course weren't 'up to' the pace and so
    many course evaluation forms would complain that the 'accelerated
    course' was 'too fast'. It's a difficult call because as you say, the
    reason why many attend is because the course can be cheaper than longer
    ones and they get you back to work quicker. For some there's also the
    'ego' issue of thinking they know enough to 'only need' a crammer.

    NK

    Nigel Kendrick, Jul 19, 2003

  3. Mike Smith

    Geoff Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:
    > Well, what a week. I just completed a five day "cram" course on A+
    > Certification at New Horizons. The instructor tried to teach us
    > everything there is to know about computers in five days. Needless
    > to say, he failed miserably. I'm not sorry I attended this course,
    > especially since my employer paid for it, but there was simply no way
    > for this guy to adequately go over everything in the time allotted to
    > him. The best he could do was give us a very broad overview of what
    > we needed to know.

    those 5 day things are for poeple who know most of the subject already, they
    just need to brush up in certain area's

    i went on a course that lasted err 2 months, but that was aimed at total
    newbies anyway, they had a job fitting it all in

    Geoff, Jul 19, 2003