    the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help with
    that problem. Does this sound correct?

    Thanks for any help you can provide.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=, Nov 21, 2005

  2. I took a course with them 2 or 3 years ago in Wisconsin. The instructor was
    good, typical MS course that flowed like the rest. However, they were
    closing their facility that week so it wasn't a great experience (noisy,
    items kept leaving each day, etc). There were just two of us in the class,
    and the other guy was a former real estate agent looking to change careers -
    so no real knowledge of what we were doing. I recommend buying VMWare
    Workstation, a powerful pc or laptop, and the MS Press books, then taking
    one or two classes in areas you could use the extra classroom attention in.
    As for problems getting your foot in the door, it may be an experience
    issue. What kind of job are you looking for and what experience do you
    have? One thing that impressed my current employer was my side work
    rebuilding computers or helping people out with simple stuff. These were
    mostly grandparents or other non-tech literate folks, and my boss was
    impressed that I could work with a variety of users. I don't know what the
    job prospects in CO are, but don't get discouraged. Consider even temp work
    to help learn new environments and get a variety of experience.

    Congratulations, you get my serious post of the week.

    --
    Famous last words "I wonder what this does..."

    "Jed Baxter" <Jed > wrote in message
    > I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location in
    > CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training center.

    They
    > are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good program.
    >
    > Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot

    in

    Bill McPherson, Nov 21, 2005

  3. Thanks for the reply Bill,

    I do have the experience, I have been in the networking field for about 6
    years and am currently doing IT project management for a small company.
    However when any sys admin jobs are posted it seems like they are requiring
    the certs. The program that new horizons is offering is a self paced, they
    call it Mentored learning where you read the book, watch a prerecorded
    overview by an MCT, and you also have an MCT in the class room for any
    questions or problems. They are providing all of the tests and transcenders
    for the tests. I have been looking for a way to get the certs, but reading
    out of a book does not seem to help me very much. I have taught myself some
    SQL and have the MS outlook book but it is hard to read and move forward and
    I also cannot guage my performance. So I guess the question is are the certs
    worth it?

    Thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=, Nov 21, 2005
  4. I'm an MCT for a New Horizons (not that one) and I would say it depends on
    your style of learning.

    ILT (Instructor Led training) isn't for everyone, but then again neither is
    self paced learning. I am personally a hands-on learning type of person,
    however I tend to learn better in an Instructor led environment with
    hands-on labs rather then completely by myself. The reason in my case is
    because if I'm home I'm easily distracted by my life. In a classroom you're,
    to a point, disconnected from the world and more able to focus. It's all up
    to your personality type learning style and drive to learn.

    In any case I wish you luck....

    --
    ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Nov 21, 2005
  5. Thanks for the information,

    Have you had any experience with the Menored learning, that is what I have
    enrolled in.

    Jed Baxter

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Yes, I've covered the Mentored learning class a few times. It's really a
    cross between ILT and self study. I find a large number of candidates like
    it, because they are able to go at their own pace and not the pace of the
    class.

    --
    ..rev - mct.mcngp.44
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Nov 21, 2005
  7. That was the appeal to me also, and the fact that you can recieve a little
    more attention with the Mentored learning than ILT. Thank you for the
    information.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

    Bill McPherson, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Thank you for all of the information

    =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=, Nov 21, 2005
  10. Stay in IT Project Management and pay to get the PMI PMP certification...

    --
    Bob Christian II
    MVP - LCS

    Bob Christian, Nov 21, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

    MitchS Guest

    "Bob Christian" <> wrote in message
    > Stay in IT Project Management and pay to get the PMI PMP certification...

    I don't know what you heard about me
    But a biztch can't get a dollar out of me
    No Cadillac, no perms, you can't see
    That I'm a motherf#$%ing P-I-M-P

    Finally, didn't know when I was going to get to use that one.

    --
    Mitch "yer such a Jameshole" S.
    Winnner plays, loser stays. Everyone's a winne - well, not everyone." - F.

    MitchS, Nov 21, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?SmVkIEJheHRlcg==?=

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Nov 21, 2005 at 11:42am "Jed Baxter" blathered:

    > I am getting ready to start the MCSE program at a New Horizons location
    > in CO. I was wondering if anyone had expreience wth this training
    > center. They are Microsoft gold partners and seem to have a good
    > program.
    >
    > Also I have my BS in informations systems but cannot seem to get my foot
    > in the door. I am hoping that the MCSE and a few other certs will help
    > with that problem. Does this sound correct?
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provide.

    Of all of them, New Horizons is probably the best. I still think they're all
    a waste of money. Have I ever mentioned that self-study is the best?

    --
    TGP MCNGP #100100
    http://www.mcngp.com

    TechGeekPro, Nov 22, 2005