New, Hoping for Newsgroup Focused on Scanning and Editing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Don Kirkman, Feb 16, 2008.

  1. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    (Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    I or the material is lost forever.

    Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    circumstances never used it).

    I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    tell me where to go. :)

    Don Kirkman, Feb 16, 2008

  2. Don Kirkman

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:42 -0800, Don Kirkman wrote:

    > I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    > format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    > that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    > (Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    > reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    > preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    > I or the material is lost forever.
    >
    > Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    > than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    > beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    > zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    > black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    > circumstances never used it).
    >
    > I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    > group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    > my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    > need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    > tell me where to go. :)

    Are you having particular issues? I've found scanning film, negatives,
    prints to be fairly simple, albeit rather slow.

    ray, Feb 16, 2008

  3. Don Kirkman

    tony cooper Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    >format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    >that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    >(Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    >reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    >preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    >I or the material is lost forever.
    >
    >Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    >than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    >beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    >zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    >black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    >circumstances never used it).
    >
    >I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    >group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    >my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    >need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    >tell me where to go. :)

    Is there a specific question in your post?

    I'm just about finished with my project of scanning about 1,100 slides
    from 1964 to 1979 with a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite. That number has
    been pared down to 557 (currently) that will be kept as images. The
    number will be below 500 before I'm done. There were, maybe, 150 that
    I never even scanned after looking at them with a slide viewer.

    I scanned them into Photoshop, cropped, and adjusted for color. Then
    I deleted the ones that were almost-duplicates and the ones that were
    just not that interesting.

    The final lot will be burned to disk and given to my kids as a
    chronicle of their growing-up years. They already have disks of the
    scans of prints from that period.

    So...what is it you want to know?

    --

    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Feb 17, 2008
  4. Don Kirkman

    Steve Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    >format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    >that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    >(Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    >reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    >preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    >I or the material is lost forever.

    I've got boxes of negatives that I've just started scanning with a
    Nikon Coolscan V ED. Around 200 in, maybe 2000 to go. What fun. But
    I just go slow, maybe a few rolls per week, and it's not so bad.

    And since I'm not generating anymore negatives, when I'm finished with
    mine I'll lend the scanner to my uncle and brother. Each has probably
    5 times an many as I do. This scanner is gonna get a workout.

    It does a very good job but I'm kind of dissapointed at myself for not
    taking better care of some of my old negatives... Just leaving them in
    the package from the developer and not putting them in negative
    holders.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 17, 2008
  5. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that ray wrote in article
    <>:

    >On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:42 -0800, Don Kirkman wrote:

    >> Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    >> than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    >> beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    >> zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    >> black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    >> circumstances never used it).

    >> I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    >> group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    >> my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    >> need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    >> tell me where to go. :)

    >Are you having particular issues? I've found scanning film, negatives,
    >prints to be fairly simple, albeit rather slow.

    No, just cautious about starting to scan and possibly finding later I
    haven't used the optimum settings and formats, thus maybe needing to
    redo a lot. Mechanically, the sample scans I did went smoothly but I'd
    like to know more about the generally used configuration for good
    quality output. Thanks for asking.

    Don Kirkman, Feb 17, 2008
  6. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Steve wrote in article
    <>:

    >On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:42 -0800, Don Kirkman
    ><> wrote:

    >>I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    >>format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    >>that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    >>(Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    >>reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    >>preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    >>I or the material is lost forever.

    >I've got boxes of negatives that I've just started scanning with a
    >Nikon Coolscan V ED. Around 200 in, maybe 2000 to go. What fun. But
    >I just go slow, maybe a few rolls per week, and it's not so bad.

    >And since I'm not generating anymore negatives, when I'm finished with
    >mine I'll lend the scanner to my uncle and brother. Each has probably
    >5 times an many as I do. This scanner is gonna get a workout.

    >It does a very good job but I'm kind of dissapointed at myself for not
    >taking better care of some of my old negatives... Just leaving them in
    >the package from the developer and not putting them in negative
    >holders.

    Most of mine are in a large metal can which, while we were living
    overseas in a very humid climate, had silica gel inside and tape around
    edge of the lid. Old roll film had degraded seriously even while we
    were living in that climate, but what remains looks like it may be
    reasonably well preserved.

    Don Kirkman, Feb 17, 2008
  7. Don Kirkman

    F. D. Lewis Guest

    On Feb 17, 6:03 am, Don Kirkman <> wrote:
    > I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives . . . I've just acquired a
    > reasonable scanner for my needs . . .
    > Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    > than this one seems to be?

    here is a website that has tutorial material on scanning:

    http://www.scantips.com/

    also recall that google is your friend!

    F. D. Lewis, Feb 17, 2008
  8. Don Kirkman

    Steve Guest

    On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 00:28:10 -0800, Don Kirkman
    <> wrote:

    >It seems to me I heard somewhere that Steve wrote in article
    ><>:
    >
    >>On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:42 -0800, Don Kirkman
    >><> wrote:

    >>>I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    >>>format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    >>>that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    >>>(Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    >>>reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    >>>preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    >>>I or the material is lost forever.

    >>I've got boxes of negatives that I've just started scanning with a
    >>Nikon Coolscan V ED. Around 200 in, maybe 2000 to go. What fun. But
    >>I just go slow, maybe a few rolls per week, and it's not so bad.

    >>And since I'm not generating anymore negatives, when I'm finished with
    >>mine I'll lend the scanner to my uncle and brother. Each has probably
    >>5 times an many as I do. This scanner is gonna get a workout.

    >>It does a very good job but I'm kind of dissapointed at myself for not
    >>taking better care of some of my old negatives... Just leaving them in
    >>the package from the developer and not putting them in negative
    >>holders.

    >Most of mine are in a large metal can which, while we were living
    >overseas in a very humid climate, had silica gel inside and tape around
    >edge of the lid. Old roll film had degraded seriously even while we
    >were living in that climate, but what remains looks like it may be
    >reasonably well preserved.

    Just a reminder about silica gel packs, they don't last forever. After
    a while, they fill up with moisture and won't absorb anymore. But you
    can recharge them. Just set your oven to low, very low, like 160 if
    it hopefully goes that low, and put the silica gel packs in there for
    24 hours. I do once a year for the large packs I keep in my safe and
    firebox.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 17, 2008
  9. Don Kirkman

    Jim Guest

    "Don Kirkman" <> wrote in message
    >I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives (mostly small
    > format like 35mm) and color positives that have sat neglected most of
    > that time. I've just acquired a reasonable scanner for my needs
    > (Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample scans suggest that at least a
    > reasonable amount of the material is still usable, and I want to
    > preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and their families before either
    > I or the material is lost forever.
    >
    > Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    > than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    > beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    > zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    > black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    > circumstances never used it).
    >
    > I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    > group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    > my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    > need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    > tell me where to go. :)

    I have scanned quite a few negatives and slides. My suggestions are:
    1) Scan at the highest resolution that the scanner supplies.
    2) Save in a format that allows the least amount of compression.
    3) Do every thing else with the software in your computer.

    If, like me, you have very many E2 or E4 Ektachrome or almost any of the
    Kodak color negative
    films of the70s (except Ektar 100/125), you will need a scanner with Digital
    Restoration of Color
    because these films have significant loss of color information. Most of the
    old E2 slides have been
    quite red for a long time now. At least one of my Kodacolor II negatives
    now has a purple mask
    instead of the orange that it was in the beginning. You can correct to a
    certain extent these problems
    with careful use of levels and curves, but the effort required is quite
    large.

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 17, 2008
  10. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that F. D. Lewis wrote in article
    <>:

    >On Feb 17, 6:03 am, Don Kirkman <> wrote:
    >> I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives . . . I've just acquired a
    >> reasonable scanner for my needs . . .
    >> Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    >> than this one seems to be?

    >here is a website that has tutorial material on scanning:

    >http://www.scantips.com/

    Thanks; I have it bookmarked and will study it in depth!

    >also recall that google is your friend!

    Indeed. I couldn't survive on the internet with Google.

    Don Kirkman, Feb 17, 2008
  11. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Jim wrote in article
    <9MZtj.688$>:

    >"Don Kirkman" <> wrote in message

    >> Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    >> than this one seems to be? I need to start pretty much at the
    >> beginning; most of my photo experience was in the days of film cameras,
    >> zone schemes, pushing exposures, and do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    >> black and white--I bought a color enlarger and supplies, but due to
    >> circumstances never used it).

    >> I've been lurking here for a few days since a new newsfeed made the
    >> group available; the discussions and the topics are at the upper end of
    >> my ability to follow what's going on, and so little is on the area I
    >> need help with that I feel I should move on--if someone will **kindly**
    >> tell me where to go. :)

    >I have scanned quite a few negatives and slides. My suggestions are:
    >1) Scan at the highest resolution that the scanner supplies.
    >2) Save in a format that allows the least amount of compression.
    >3) Do every thing else with the software in your computer.

    >If, like me, you have very many E2 or E4 Ektachrome or almost any of the
    >Kodak color negative
    >films of the70s (except Ektar 100/125), you will need a scanner with Digital
    >Restoration of Color
    >because these films have significant loss of color information. Most of the
    >old E2 slides have been
    >quite red for a long time now. At least one of my Kodacolor II negatives
    >now has a purple mask
    >instead of the orange that it was in the beginning. You can correct to a
    >certain extent these problems
    >with careful use of levels and curves, but the effort required is quite
    >large.

    Thanks for the practical insights, Jim.

    Don Kirkman, Feb 17, 2008
  12. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Don Kirkman wrote in article
    <>:

    >It seems to me I heard somewhere that F. D. Lewis wrote in article
    ><>:
    >
    >>On Feb 17, 6:03 am, Don Kirkman <> wrote:
    >>> I have over fifty years worth of slides, color negatives . . . I've just acquired a
    >>> reasonable scanner for my needs . . .
    >>> Can someone please point me to a newsgroup more specialized in that area
    >>> than this one seems to be?

    >>here is a website that has tutorial material on scanning:

    >>http://www.scantips.com/

    >Thanks; I have it bookmarked and will study it in depth!
    >
    >>also recall that google is your friend!

    >Indeed. I couldn't survive on the internet with Google.

    Obviously, should be "**without** Google"

    Don Kirkman, Feb 18, 2008
  13. Don Kirkman

    Toby Guest

    alt.comp.periphs. scanner, alt.comp.periphs.scanners

    Toby

    Toby, Feb 19, 2008
  14. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that Toby wrote in article
    <47ba48b7$0$220$>:

    >alt.comp.periphs. scanner, alt.comp.periphs.scanners

    >Toby

    Many thanks, Toby. I'll subscribe to both and see how it goes. I infer
    that this is another case of a newsgroup created because of a typo, but
    some of those turn out to be very interesting and/or helpful. :)

    Apparently my newsfeeds prefer the "non-s" version, so I've signed up
    for that one.

    [Later]

    This looks very much like what I was hoping for--quite a lot of
    messages, and subjects seem relevant to what I wanted.

    Don Kirkman, Feb 20, 2008
  15. Don Kirkman

    Peter Jason Guest

    "tony cooper" <>
    wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:42 -0800, Don
    > Kirkman
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have over fifty years worth of slides,
    >>color negatives (mostly small
    >>format like 35mm) and color positives that
    >>have sat neglected most of
    >>that time. I've just acquired a reasonable
    >>scanner for my needs
    >>(Minolta Dimage Scan Dual IV) Some sample
    >>scans suggest that at least a
    >>reasonable amount of the material is still
    >>usable, and I want to
    >>preserve it so I can pass it to my kids and
    >>their families before either
    >>I or the material is lost forever.
    >>
    >>Can someone please point me to a newsgroup
    >>more specialized in that area
    >>than this one seems to be? I need to start
    >>pretty much at the
    >>beginning; most of my photo experience was
    >>in the days of film cameras,
    >>zone schemes, pushing exposures, and
    >>do-it-yourself darkroom work (all
    >>black and white--I bought a color enlarger
    >>and supplies, but due to
    >>circumstances never used it).
    >>
    >>I've been lurking here for a few days since
    >>a new newsfeed made the
    >>group available; the discussions and the
    >>topics are at the upper end of
    >>my ability to follow what's going on, and
    >>so little is on the area I
    >>need help with that I feel I should move
    >>on--if someone will **kindly**
    >>tell me where to go. :)

    > Is there a specific question in your post?
    >
    > I'm just about finished with my project of
    > scanning about 1,100 slides
    > from 1964 to 1979 with a Minolta Dimage
    > Scan Elite. That number has
    > been pared down to 557 (currently) that
    > will be kept as images. The
    > number will be below 500 before I'm done.
    > There were, maybe, 150 that
    > I never even scanned after looking at them
    > with a slide viewer.
    >
    > I scanned them into Photoshop, cropped, and
    > adjusted for color. Then
    > I deleted the ones that were
    > almost-duplicates and the ones that were
    > just not that interesting.
    >
    > The final lot will be burned to disk and
    > given to my kids as a
    > chronicle of their growing-up years. They
    > already have disks of the
    > scans of prints from that period.
    >
    > So...what is it you want to know?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    I did the same thing with my collection of
    slides and negatives. The slides had to be
    cleaned carefully, especially since the slide
    cardboard surrounds were becoming flaky and
    a brush/blower were essential.

    I used the Minolta scanner, which does a good
    job.

    Some of the older 35mm negatives benefited
    from a good press between the pages of a
    phone book before scanning.

    Peter Jason, May 16, 2008