    can I try? Thanks

    Also, I have 2 HD's...Can I have Windows 98 on 1 and XP on the other?
    Thanks...
    T. McRae, Jul 2, 2004

  2. T. McRae

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    >Also, I have 2 HD's...Can I have Windows 98 on 1 and XP on the other?
    >Thanks...

    You can have them both on the same Hard Drive (If your HD is big enough) , I
    use Partition Magic, you can get a free demo version from here:

    http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/8/13-8-2.shtml

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 2, 2004

  3. T. McRae

    Kenny Guest

    Create a start up disc from a working PC with Win98 on it, boot from it and
    format it using that. This boot disc contains DOS. Could also try:
    www.bootdisk.com
    You can install Win98 and XP if they're on separate partitions or drives but
    you must install Win98 first.
    Win XP doesn't use DOS, you set BIOS to boot from XP CD and go from there.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Jul 2, 2004
  4. T. McRae

    Wizard Guest

    Sounds to me like you have the virus function "On" in your BIOS. Turn it
    off as it will give you a warning whenever you try to load an OS.

    Wizard, Jul 2, 2004
  5. T. McRae

    ady Guest

    "T. McRae" <> wrote in message
    > Somehow my new HD has a virus. I'm not a wiz, so I tried to format it
    > again thinking it would get rid of it but that didn't work. It's been
    > sitting for a while but if I remember correctly I got a prompt saying
    > to use format from MS DOS but I don't have a copy of that...What else
    > can I try? Thanks

    How do you know it has a virus? Are you relying on the BIOS virus warning?
    If so it'll do that on a new setup as soon as it writes the master boot
    record.

    > Also, I have 2 HD's...Can I have Windows 98 on 1 and XP on the other?
    > Thanks...

    Yes
    I think you have to install 98 first tho'

    hth
    Ady
    ady, Jul 2, 2004
  6. T. McRae

    Trent© Guest

    On 2 Jul 2004 11:41:26 -0700, (T. McRae)
    wrote:

    >Somehow my new HD has a virus. I'm not a wiz, so I tried to format it
    >again thinking it would get rid of it but that didn't work.

    Try doing a repartition. Formatting doesn't really delete anything.

    If yer usin' a floppy disk, make sure you have write protection
    enabled on it.

    >It's been
    >sitting for a while but if I remember correctly I got a prompt saying
    >to use format from MS DOS but I don't have a copy of that...What else
    >can I try? Thanks

    You need MSFT's FDISK...or some other program that can partition the
    drive for you. You'll then need to format it again, of course.

    >Also, I have 2 HD's...Can I have Windows 98 on 1 and XP on the other?

    Sure. I'd install 98 first...then go to the Trend Micro site and run
    Housecalls.

    Good luck.

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004