New HD not recognised in Windows

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jim, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I've just installed a new 120GB Deskstar drive in my
    Dimension T600r. I set the jumpers on the back of the drive
    to what appeared to be 16head Drive 1 (Slave). I have
    installed the latest BIOS.

    On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
    though a device driver search is initiated and completed.

    Opening "My Computer" shows drive C and the DVD and CDROM
    drives as D and E.

    A search for new hardware shows none recognised.

    Looking in System Devices for disk drives shows a floppy and
    TWO generic IDE drives, both working correctly, but with no
    letter assigned to the second drive.

    Checking the BIOS shows the new drive is recognised
    correctly as a 120GB Primary IDE Slave device.

    What next please?

    Thanks!

    Jim, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Jim wrote:

    > On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
    > though a device driver search is initiated and completed.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

    3-4-Oxy-2-Aminocarbonyl-Tetrahydropyrido-Ethyltetr, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Oops.. forgot new drives needed to be partitioned befor
    formatting... all well now.

    Jim, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Jim

    Stace Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message
    > I've just installed a new 120GB Deskstar drive in my
    > Dimension T600r. I set the jumpers on the back of the drive
    > to what appeared to be 16head Drive 1 (Slave). I have
    > installed the latest BIOS.
    >
    > On booting, there is no drive recognised by Plug and Play
    > though a device driver search is initiated and completed.
    >
    > Opening "My Computer" shows drive C and the DVD and CDROM
    > drives as D and E.
    >
    > A search for new hardware shows none recognised.
    >
    > Looking in System Devices for disk drives shows a floppy and
    > TWO generic IDE drives, both working correctly, but with no
    > letter assigned to the second drive.
    >
    > Checking the BIOS shows the new drive is recognised
    > correctly as a 120GB Primary IDE Slave device.
    >
    > What next please?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Is the new drive partitioned and formatted? To provide more specific advice
    it would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are using.

    Stace.

    Stace, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Jim

    Mara Guest

    Shut the **** up and make up some bullshit. Hell, I do it all the time.

    --
    3. we will not whitelist any IP address in a network that allows
    spam to exist anywhere in its network.

    Mara, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Howdy!

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    OK - What version of Windows? If a Win9X, you need to run FDISK from
    the DOS prompt (not from within Windows!) and create a drive partition.
    Reboot after you exit FDISK. Run FORMAT and format the sucker. It will
    become D: moving your opticals down a letter.

    If an NT class OS (NT, 2K, XP), then run Disk Management (for 2K and
    XP, you can right-click on "My Computer" and left-click on "Manage" to get
    there) and create a drive partition there. Commit the changes. Format the
    partition.

    After that, it'll show up.

    "I just bought this blank video tape, and when I put it in the tape
    deck, there's nothing but snow on it. What do I do now?"

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Aug 1, 2003
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    "Stace" <> wrote:

    >Is the new drive partitioned and formatted? To provide more specific advice
    >it would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are using.

    Thanks - that was all that was wrong - I had forgotten that
    new drives can be used in all kinds of OS and needed to be
    partitioned. Now it's doing a thorough Scandisk on the 120GB
    that looks as if it will take a *very long time...

    Cheers...

    Jim, Aug 1, 2003