    Kev
    Like Minds ...Like Mine

    , Dec 2, 2003

  2. JedMeister Guest

    There are utilities to monitor HDD temp.Check out...

    http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Reviews/r837.html

    The underneath of my Dell Inspiron 8100 notebook gets too hot to comfortably
    touch.

    JedMeister, Dec 2, 2003

  3. XPD Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    > It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    > Is this normal

    What brand ? 5400 or 7200 RPM ?

    My Seagate 40gb 7200 (ST340016A) gets damn hot but have read that its normal
    for them to get hot. To be on the safe side ive got mine in a HDD cooler
    unit, dont want to lose all my data ;)
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fcbf33601b9c52e273fc0a87f99071d/Product/View/XH5092
    is what im using... not brilliant but does hte job (and i didnt pay that
    much for it either... theyve gone up in price hehe)

    XPD, Dec 2, 2003
  4. On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 15:00:30 +1300, "XPD" <>
    scribbled:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    >> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    >> Is this normal

    >What brand ? 5400 or 7200 RPM ?
    >
    >My Seagate 40gb 7200 (ST340016A) gets damn hot but have read that its normal
    >for them to get hot. To be on the safe side ive got mine in a HDD cooler
    >unit, dont want to lose all my data ;)
    >http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fcbf33601b9c52e273fc0a87f99071d/Product/View/XH5092
    >is what im using... not brilliant but does hte job (and i didnt pay that
    >much for it either... theyve gone up in price hehe)

    I have the exact same drive Gavin, and mine sits on 30C. I have no
    extra case cooling or anything.

    --
    Phillip Weston
    Taumarunui, New Zealand

    Phillip Weston, Dec 2, 2003
  5. XPD Guest

    "Phillip Weston" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    > I have the exact same drive Gavin, and mine sits on 30C. I have no
    > extra case cooling or anything.

    Is that 30 using that HDD temp program mentioned ? Cause it dosent seem to
    change temp at all :p
    The main program itself says 30, yet the testing util they supply to make
    sure your HDD is supported, states 35 degrees :)

    But yeah, Im jsut being paranoid, I cant afford a new drive so would rather
    this one dont pack it in for any reason ;)

    XPD, Dec 2, 2003
  6. steve Guest

    allegedly said:

    > I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    > It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    > Is this normal
    > Thanks
    > Kev
    > Like Minds ...Like Mine

    What brand / model is it?

    I just bought a Western Digital 120GB the other day....and haven't installed
    it yet.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Dec 2, 2003
  7. On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, wrote:

    >I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    >It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    >Is this normal
    >Thanks
    >Kev
    >Like Minds ...Like Mine

    No if it to hot to touch, its to hot

    Is it a Seagate by any chance..?

    They need a fan in front of them..

    Also get hold of HDtemp and run it, it will show the true Temp..

    Gregory Parker, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Gregory Parker wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, wrote:
    >
    >> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    >> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    >> Is this normal
    >> Thanks
    >> Kev
    >> Like Minds ...Like Mine

    > No if it to hot to touch, its to hot
    >

    > Is it a Seagate by any chance..?
    >
    > They need a fan in front of them..

    That's just not true. I run a seagate 80 gig 7200rpm drive, and it sits
    around 33 degrees. If you have any sort of airflow through your case and the
    drive is not sandwiched between two other drives, you'll be fine.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 3, 2003
  9. ~misfit~ Guest

    Nicholas Sherlock wrote:
    > Gregory Parker wrote:
    >> On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 14:03:10 +1300, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just purchased a new 120 gig hard drive and had it installed.
    >>> It is getting so hot I cannot put my hand on it.
    >>> Is this normal
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Kev
    >>> Like Minds ...Like Mine

    >> No if it to hot to touch, its to hot
    >>

    >> Is it a Seagate by any chance..?
    >>
    >> They need a fan in front of them..

    > That's just not true. I run a seagate 80 gig 7200rpm drive, and it
    > sits around 33 degrees. If you have any sort of airflow through your
    > case and the drive is not sandwiched between two other drives, you'll
    > be fine.

    Totally agree, same drive here, runs at 35°C.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 3, 2003