    untouched HD? And how would I go about it ?
    Thank you so much for your input.
    Shayn
    ted, Dec 5, 2004

  2. ted

    Paul - xxx Guest

    ted vaguely muttered something like ...
    > Friends,
    > I purchased a new larger hard drive and wish to install it in my Compaq
    > as the only drive but the onlything that came with the machine is the
    > recovery disc - not a operating system - I still have all of the paper
    > work with the numbers but will these be able to install a new operating
    > system on a untouched HD? And how would I go about it ?
    > Thank you so much for your input.
    > Shayn

    For many hard drives you can install them as a slave to the original then
    use the disc that came with the new drive to 'clone' the existing hard drive
    onto the new, then remove that drive to be left with just the new one
    working exactly as the old one did.

    A lot depends upon the drive you bought and the software available. Go to
    the manufacturers site and see what they say .. ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    http://www.4x4prejudice.org/index.php
    Paul - xxx, Dec 5, 2004

  3. ted

    Timberwolf Guest

    "ted" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Friends,
    > I purchased a new larger hard drive and wish to install it in my Compaq
    > as
    > the only drive but the onlything that came with the machine is the
    > recovery
    > disc - not a operating system - I still have all of the paper work with
    > the
    > numbers but will these be able to install a new operating system on a
    > untouched HD? And how would I go about it ?
    > Thank you so much for your input.
    > Shayn

    Your recovery cd "should" have the os on it---As far as the new hard drive
    is concerned,it will need to be partitioned and formatted before it can be
    used.
    Set the jumpers on the new drive to slave and add it to your system as a
    second drive--even have it dangling outside the box while you prepare it for
    use if you have to.
    Remove both hard drives,reset your new one to master,install it,set machine
    to boot from cdrom,insert recovery disc,job done.
    Timberwolf, Dec 5, 2004
  4. ted

    MrB Guest

    We just had a Compaq in the shop with a failed hard drive. We put in a
    larger hard drive and used the recovery disks (there were 4 that the owner
    had made when first setting up the computer). It worked flawlessly. It even
    created a recovery partition on the new drive.

    MrB, Dec 5, 2004