    ive tried everything that I can think of at the moment, but im just coming
    up short for some reason.

    any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help
    hector, Apr 20, 2004

  2. hector

    The Prophecy Guest

    hector wrote:
    > Just installed a new Hitachi Drive, as a slave/second drive.
    >
    > It is listed in BIOS, shows up in device manager as working
    > correctly, and is also listed in the Hard Diskssection of Norton's
    > sytem information, however I cant get it to show up in My computer to
    > be able to get to it.
    >
    > ive tried everything that I can think of at the moment, but im just
    > coming up short for some reason.
    >
    > any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help

    This should help....

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297694
    The Prophecy, Apr 20, 2004

  3. hector

    Plato Guest

    hector wrote:

    > It is listed in BIOS, shows up in device manager as working correctly, and
    > is also listed in the Hard Diskssection of Norton's sytem information,
    > however I cant get it to show up in My computer to be able to get to it.
    >
    > ive tried everything that I can think of at the moment, but im just coming
    > up short for some reason.

    It wont show up in My Computer unless it has a partition. After you
    partition it, you can use windows to format it as it's really fast. I'm
    assuming you have win98.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 20, 2004
  4. hector

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "hector" <> wrote in news:Vq%gc.24444$Yf6.5942@fed1read07:

    > It is listed in BIOS, shows up in device manager as working correctly,
    > and is also listed in the Hard Diskssection of Norton's sytem
    > information, however I cant get it to show up in My computer to be
    > able to get to it.
    >
    > ive tried everything that I can think of at the moment, but im just
    > coming up short for some reason.
    >
    > any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help

    If you are using Windows 9x, you will need to boot to DOS (like, hit F8
    during startup and pick "Command Prompt only") and run FDISK and create a
    partition on the drive. Don't worry about formatting, once it is
    partitioned you can format it within Windows.

    If you are using Windows NT (NT,2000, or XP), you need to go to Logical
    Disk Manager (Right click my computer, manage) and create a partition on
    the drive and then assign a drive letter to that partition.
    DeMoN LaG, Apr 20, 2004
  5. hector

    HF Guest

    Just go to the mfrs website and download the instal software. That will do
    it all for you. Windows cant see an unformatted drive. The software will
    partition and format for you.
    "hector" <> wrote in message
    > Just installed a new Hitachi Drive, as a slave/second drive.
    >
    > It is listed in BIOS, shows up in device manager as working correctly, and
    > is also listed in the Hard Diskssection of Norton's sytem information,
    > however I cant get it to show up in My computer to be able to get to it.
    >
    > ive tried everything that I can think of at the moment, but im just coming
    > up short for some reason.
    >
    > any tips would be appreciated. thanks in advance for the help

    ---
    HF, Apr 20, 2004
  6. hector

    hector Guest

    thanks, thats just what i was looking for.
    hector, Apr 21, 2004
  7. hector

    The Prophecy Guest

    hector wrote:
    > thanks, thats just what i was looking for.

    You're welcome.
    The Prophecy, Apr 21, 2004