    XP set in C: drive?

    Hope the above has made sense

    Thank you
    Oz, Sep 21, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    "Oz" <> wrote in message
    news:3f6e0c68$0$15775$...
    > I recived my new drive today and decided to go ahead and install windows

    XP.
    > Everything has gone smoothly except that it has installed in G: drive.
    > My old operating system(windows 2000) is on my old drive which I have set

    as
    > slave. Is this why XP hasn't installed in C:?

    Yes - C: was already taken by that drive.

    > I don't mind deleting windows 2000 now that I have everything up and
    > running.
    >
    > Anyway, my question is; is there a way to get my new harddrive and windows
    > XP set in C: drive?

    Yep.

    1) Remove ALL old drives.

    2) Boot off of the XP install CD, and go through install to where
    you can delete the partition.

    3) Shut the machine off.

    4) Reboot off the XP install CD, and install XP.

    Problem solved!

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 21, 2003

  3. Oz

    ilmc Guest

    Oz typed:
    > I recived my new drive today and decided to go ahead and install
    > windows XP. Everything has gone smoothly except that it has installed
    > in G: drive.
    > My old operating system(windows 2000) is on my old drive which I have
    > set as slave. Is this why XP hasn't installed in C:?
    > I don't mind deleting windows 2000 now that I have everything up and
    > running.
    >
    > Anyway, my question is; is there a way to get my new harddrive and
    > windows XP set in C: drive?
    >
    > Hope the above has made sense
    >
    > Thank you

    Probably the quickest way is to put your new drive as the only drive ( as
    primary;master) and do a new instal of xp, then add your old drive. Or did
    you want to dual boot?
    ilmc, Sep 21, 2003
  4. Oz

    Oz Guest

    > Probably the quickest way is to put your new drive as the only drive ( as
    > primary;master) and do a new instal of xp, then add your old drive. Or

    did
    > you want to dual boot?

    Thanks for the reply.
    I don't want to dual boot. But I do want to keep some data from my old
    drive.
    When I installed XP on my new drive, I installed from boot disk.
    I really don't want to go though the installation procedure again! :(
    Will I encounter problems with my main drive being called G:?
    Oz, Sep 21, 2003