    Can I transfer all my folders in the old OE to the new OE?

    Thanks,
    Dick

    Dick M., Nov 14, 2004

  2. Dick M.

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:02:10 -0700, "Dick M." <> wrote:

    >I have windows XP on a 20 GB hard drive installed in
    >an eight year old computer. I just purchased an 80 GB
    >drive that I'd like to do a fresh install of XP on and
    >reuse all my old settings and import all my old Outlook
    >Express files. Is that possible?
    >
    >If that is possible, what is the order of steps?
    >Do I just format/partition the new drive and install XP on it?

    Yes, set the BIOS to boot to the CD first.

    >How will the computer know to use XP on the new drive?

    Unplug the old drive first. Then after a new install, make it a slave.

    >Can I transfer old windows settings to the new drive?
    >Can I transfer all my folders in the old OE to the new OE?

    Use the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard.
    Start, Programs, Accessories, Syatem Tools, Files and Settings Transfer Wizard

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Dick M.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    wrote:

    | >I have windows XP on a 20 GB hard drive installed in
    | >an eight year old computer. I just purchased an 80 GB
    | >drive that I'd like to do a fresh install of XP on and
    | >reuse all my old settings and import all my old Outlook
    | >Express files. Is that possible?
    | >
    | >If that is possible, what is the order of steps?
    | >Do I just format/partition the new drive and install XP on it?
    | Yes, set the BIOS to boot to the CD first.
    |
    | >How will the computer know to use XP on the new drive?
    | Unplug the old drive first. Then after a new install, make it a slave.
    |
    | >Can I transfer old windows settings to the new drive?
    | >Can I transfer all my folders in the old OE to the new OE?
    | Use the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard.
    | Start, Programs, Accessories, Syatem Tools, Files and Settings Transfer
    Wizard

    The transfer Wizard will not collect data from a second HD in the same
    machine.

    The better steps would be to run the Transfer Wizard BEFORE putting the
    drive in, and saving the collected settings to a file on the old drive. THEN
    remove the drive, setup XP, reinstall the drive as slave, run the Transfer
    Wizard again, pointing it to the collected data file on the old (slave)
    drive.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Dick M.

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:28:52 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:02:10 -0700, "Dick M." <>
    >wrote:
    >|
    >| >I have windows XP on a 20 GB hard drive installed in
    >| >an eight year old computer. I just purchased an 80 GB
    >| >drive that I'd like to do a fresh install of XP on and
    >| >reuse all my old settings and import all my old Outlook
    >| >Express files. Is that possible?
    >| >
    >| >If that is possible, what is the order of steps?
    >| >Do I just format/partition the new drive and install XP on it?
    >| Yes, set the BIOS to boot to the CD first.
    >|
    >| >How will the computer know to use XP on the new drive?
    >| Unplug the old drive first. Then after a new install, make it a slave.
    >|
    >| >Can I transfer old windows settings to the new drive?
    >| >Can I transfer all my folders in the old OE to the new OE?
    >| Use the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard.
    >| Start, Programs, Accessories, Syatem Tools, Files and Settings Transfer
    >Wizard
    >|

    >The transfer Wizard will not collect data from a second HD in the same
    >machine.
    >
    >The better steps would be to run the Transfer Wizard BEFORE putting the
    >drive in, and saving the collected settings to a file on the old drive. THEN
    >remove the drive, setup XP, reinstall the drive as slave, run the Transfer
    >Wizard again, pointing it to the collected data file on the old (slave)
    >drive.

    He could make both drives master. New= IDE1-M and Old=IDE2-M
    Then boot to the old drive to do the collection repeatedly if necessary.
    I have so much stuff installed, I couldn't remember it all in one shot. :)

    Unk, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Dick M.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Unk" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 12:28:52 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >"Unk" <> wrote in message
    | >| On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:02:10 -0700, "Dick M." <>
    | >wrote:
    | >|

    | >| Yes, set the BIOS to boot to the CD first.
    | >|
    | >| Unplug the old drive first. Then after a new install, make it a slave.
    | >|
    | >| Use the Windows XP File Transfer Wizard.
    | >| Start, Programs, Accessories, Syatem Tools, Files and Settings Transfer
    | >Wizard
    | >|

    | >The transfer Wizard will not collect data from a second HD in the same
    | >machine.
    | >
    | >The better steps would be to run the Transfer Wizard BEFORE putting the
    | >drive in, and saving the collected settings to a file on the old drive.
    THEN
    | >remove the drive, setup XP, reinstall the drive as slave, run the
    Transfer
    | >Wizard again, pointing it to the collected data file on the old (slave)
    | >drive.
    | >
    | He could make both drives master. New= IDE1-M and Old=IDE2-M
    | Then boot to the old drive to do the collection repeatedly if necessary.
    | I have so much stuff installed, I couldn't remember it all in one shot. :)

    Me too...I couldn't get all my data/settings collected on an EMPTY 20gig
    drive, much less one that had XP installed <g>! Actually, I burned all my
    photos and MP3s off to disc then deleted them before my last upgrade so I
    wouldn't have to transfer them.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 14, 2004