    heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
    have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!

    Winston
    Winston, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Winston

    Wizard Guest

    X-No-Archive:Yes

    Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    and compatibility. 10=Best, 0=DO NOT BUY (even if free):

    Maxtor 9.0
    Western Digital 7.5 (making a come back)
    Fujitsu 7.0
    Seagate 6.8
    IBM 5.5 (soon to be Hitachi)
    NEC 4.5
    Quantum 4.4 (owned by Maxtor)

    Wizard, Oct 16, 2003

  3. Winston

    Adam Steiner Guest

    I might be mistaken, but didn't Hitachi already complete their purchase of
    the IBM hard drive division? I know that the newest Hitachi drive is using
    an IBM chip for something or other (I forgot what the review said), but I
    don't think it's officially IBM anymore.

    Adam Steiner, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Winston

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "Winston" <> wrote in message
    > I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering which
    > ones are going south lately.........
    >
    > Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg. I
    > heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
    > have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
    >
    > Winston

    Hey Winston,

    I can't speak from personal experience on the Seagate or Maxtor drives. I'm
    currently using 2 Western Digital Special Edition drives (a 120GB and a
    200GB) in my personal machine, and about two dozen of my friends (whose
    computers I built) are also using various WD drives (SE and regular).
    They're all running like a charm. My personal ones I put to heavy use, and
    I like the three year warranty.

    A couple of friends of mine are also using Maxtor drives and seem to like
    them. Don't know anything about Seagate though. You might want to check
    www.storagereview.com. They have information on almost every drive,
    including many user reviews (which are very informative).

    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Winston

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Winston" <> wrote in

    > Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new
    > egg. I heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and
    > the new WD have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!

    I like Maxtor drives, but the WD Special Edition is a really nice drive.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    DeMoN LaG, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Winston

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Winston" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new
    > > egg. I heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and
    > > the new WD have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!
    > >

    > I like Maxtor drives, but the WD Special Edition is a really nice drive.

    I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.
    Thor, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Winston

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in news::

    > I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.

    If I had the funds with me today, BestBuy is still doing their 120 GB WDSE
    drive for $79.99 after rebates. I was considering cashing in on that, but
    I have enough storage space at the time and not enough money to blow on
    things like that. Good deal for anyone looking, though.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Winston

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Thor" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> I concur. I'm running an 80GB WDSE drive right now. I love it.
    >>

    > If I had the funds with me today, BestBuy is still doing their 120 GB
    > WDSE drive for $79.99 after rebates. I was considering cashing in on
    > that, but I have enough storage space at the time and not enough
    > money to blow on things like that. Good deal for anyone looking,
    > though.

    CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and mail in
    rebates.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Winston

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in

    > CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
    > mail in rebates.

    That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Winston

    Adam Steiner Guest

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    > > CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
    > > mail in rebates.

    > That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?
    >
    > --

    Actually I believe it is. slickdeals.net has it for $60 after $70 in mail
    in rebates. I'd go for either one, but I still have a little over 100GB of
    storage free, so I'm good.

    --Adam
    Adam Steiner, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Winston

    V W Wall Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    > > CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
    > > mail in rebates.

    > That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?

    I bought an 80GB Seagate (ST380013A) at Best Buy for $60. They had the
    Seagate 120GB (ST120026A0 w/8MB buffer for $80. The 120GB SATA was $130.
    This was 2 weeks ago in Los Angeles. These prices are all after rebates.

    Virg Wall
    --

    It is vain to do with more
    what can be done with fewer.
    V W Wall, Oct 16, 2003
  12. Winston

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > "Night_Seer" <ecamacho4 at hotmail dot com> wrote in
    >
    >> CompUSA is doing a 120GB Seagate for about $70 total after taxes and
    >> mail in rebates.

    > That isn't a seagate with 8MB of cache though, is it?

    yup

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Winston

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:48:45 GMT, Wizard <> wrote:

    >X-No-Archive:Yes
    >
    >Here are my personal ratings based on Performance, Quality, Tech Support
    >and compatibility. 10=Best, 0=DO NOT BUY (even if free):
    >
    >Maxtor 9.0
    >Western Digital 7.5 (making a come back)
    >Fujitsu 7.0
    >Seagate 6.8
    >IBM 5.5 (soon to be Hitachi)

    Soon to be Hitachi? Hmmmmmmm.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
    Trent©, Oct 17, 2003
  14. Winston

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:58:25 -0700, "Winston" <>
    wrote:

    >I've used them all. The problems come in spurts, and I was wondering which
    >ones are going south lately.........
    >
    >Seagate, Maxtor, or WD special edition are all about $60 now at new egg. I
    >heard they took off the bottom cover plate on the Seagates, and the new WD
    >have a 3 year warranty. Anyone care to opine? Thanks!

    Best is Western Digital...hands down!

    Trent©, Oct 17, 2003
  15. Winston

    Trent© Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:34:21 GMT, "Adam Steiner" <>
    wrote:

    >I might be mistaken, but didn't Hitachi already complete their purchase of
    >the IBM hard drive division? I know that the newest Hitachi drive is using
    >an IBM chip for something or other (I forgot what the review said), but I
    >don't think it's officially IBM anymore.

    Wizard's lists are often quite old! lol

    Trent©, Oct 17, 2003
  16. Winston

    Winston Guest

    DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote in message news:Xns9416A8AA3D0D8Wobbly@216.168.3.30...
    > If I had the funds with me today, BestBuy is still doing their 120 GB WDSE
    > drive for $79.99 after rebates

    WOW! Lots of room............For what?? Vid's or sound? I don't do much of
    that:) Thanks for the advice, guys!

    Winston
    Winston, Oct 17, 2003
  17. Winston

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Winston" <> wrote in

    > WOW! Lots of room............For what?? Vid's or sound? I don't do
    > much of that:) Thanks for the advice, guys!

    That's a ton of space for one drive. And it is sweet with the 8MB cache.
    Next up for me is a striped array of SCSI drives though. The reason I
    don't have the funds for that drive at BB is because I just put down a bit
    on a few SCSI drives on ebay, when they get here I plan to run them in a
    RAID 0+1 configuration (maybe a software RAID5 solution, not sure yet) to
    add a couple hundred gigabytes more to my network. If I hadn't done that,
    I'd most definitely have gone for the WD.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 17, 2003