new hard disk on old, old pc

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Deano, Oct 21, 2005.

  1. Deano

    Deano Guest

    After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to get it
    working again after applying some Spinrite.
    That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the existing
    20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day, before Spinrite
    got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard disk just in case.

    Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
    installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't surprised
    to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
    What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents the old
    disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like "Floppy disk
    error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On another occasion it
    said "missing operating system". As soon as the slave is disconnected the
    old disk works fine and boots Windows.

    I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS problem.
    The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say whether it would
    enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the BIOS if I don't have to,
    his pc does work and I don't want to kill it on the offchance it all goes
    wrong.

    He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working together.
    I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for me before, and
    get a full transfer of his existing system onto the new disk.

    If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and see if
    the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own image and
    restore that...)

    Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire evening
    for nothing :)

    thanks
    Martin
    Deano, Oct 21, 2005

  2. Deano

    clot Guest

    Deano wrote:
    > After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to
    > get it working again after applying some Spinrite.
    > That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the
    > existing 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day,
    > before Spinrite got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard
    > disk just in case.
    >
    > Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
    > installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't
    > surprised to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
    > What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents
    > the old disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like
    > "Floppy disk error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On
    > another occasion it said "missing operating system". As soon as the
    > slave is disconnected the old disk works fine and boots Windows.
    >
    > I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS
    > problem. The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say
    > whether it would enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the
    > BIOS if I don't have to, his pc does work and I don't want to kill it
    > on the offchance it all goes wrong.
    >
    > He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working
    > together. I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for
    > me before, and get a full transfer of his existing system onto the
    > new disk.
    >
    > If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and
    > see if the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own
    > image and restore that...)
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire
    > evening for nothing :)
    >
    > thanks
    > Martin

    BIOS/ Connection Ribbon positions/ Slave/ Master?
    clot, Oct 21, 2005

  3. Deano

    Deano Guest

    clot wrote:
    > Deano wrote:
    >> After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to
    >> get it working again after applying some Spinrite.
    >> That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the
    >> existing 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day,
    >> before Spinrite got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard
    >> disk just in case.
    >>
    >> Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
    >> installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't
    >> surprised to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
    >> What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents
    >> the old disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like
    >> "Floppy disk error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On
    >> another occasion it said "missing operating system". As soon as the
    >> slave is disconnected the old disk works fine and boots Windows.
    >>
    >> I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS
    >> problem. The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say
    >> whether it would enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the
    >> BIOS if I don't have to, his pc does work and I don't want to kill it
    >> on the offchance it all goes wrong.
    >>
    >> He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working
    >> together. I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for
    >> me before, and get a full transfer of his existing system onto the
    >> new disk.
    >>
    >> If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and
    >> see if the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own
    >> image and restore that...)
    >>
    >> Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire
    >> evening for nothing :)
    >>
    >> thanks
    >> Martin

    > BIOS/ Connection Ribbon positions/ Slave/ Master?

    Yeah I had a play around with that, made no difference. One thing I forgot
    was that the primary disk had some garbage in it's name on the boot up
    screen which made me worry that I'd killed the drive. As I say the new
    slave reported in ok at 137GB. The one thing I didn't have time to do was
    boot the new disk as the primary and see what happened. It's a 200GB drive
    but only I'm anal enough ti care, he certainly doesn't.
    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Deano

    hummerdog Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > After my mate's pc reported a STOP error the other day we managed to get

    it
    > working again after applying some Spinrite.
    > That perked him up no end but there was the small matter of the existing
    > 20GB Quantum Fireball drive's reliability. The same day, before Spinrite
    > got him out of jail, I told him to get a new hard disk just in case.
    >
    > Today we decided to upgrade, the plain being to clone the existing
    > installation onto the new one. Of course being an old pc I wasn't

    surprised
    > to see a limit of 137GB being reported for the new slave.
    > What has startled me is that the presence of the new disk prevents the old
    > disk from booting Windows. I kept getting something like "Floppy disk
    > error, put disk in Drive A" or something similar. On another occasion it
    > said "missing operating system". As soon as the slave is disconnected the
    > old disk works fine and boots Windows.
    >
    > I updated Windows 2000 to SP4 but really it looks like some BIOS problem.
    > The newest BIOS I can find is dated 2001 and doesn't say whether it would
    > enable large disk support. I'm loath to flash the BIOS if I don't have

    to,
    > his pc does work and I don't want to kill it on the offchance it all goes
    > wrong.
    >
    > He's fine with the 137GB limit so I would like to get both working

    together.
    > I would then run Acronis Migrate Easy which has worked for me before, and
    > get a full transfer of his existing system onto the new disk.
    >
    > If I can't then I will try booting with the new drive as master and see if
    > the old disk will work as a slave (maybe I could take my own image and
    > restore that...)
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions? Pretty please, I felt I lost an entire evening
    > for nothing :)
    >
    > thanks
    > Martin

    Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
    bw..OJ
    hummerdog, Oct 21, 2005
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    hummerdog wrote:

    > Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
    > bw..OJ

    Hmmm. That *sounds* clever. Is it? Does the pc only have a problem if the
    disk is one big partition exceeding 137GB? I might give that a go, dunno if
    it will allow the old disk to boot though.
    Deano, Oct 21, 2005
  6. Deano

    Pat Guest

    On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 11:16:39 +0100, "Deano" <>
    wrote:

    >hummerdog wrote:
    >>>

    >> Partition new drive into two @100. Install it on second IDE cable.
    >> bw..OJ

    >Hmmm. That *sounds* clever. Is it? Does the pc only have a problem if the
    >disk is one big partition exceeding 137GB? I might give that a go, dunno if
    >it will allow the old disk to boot though.

    Partition size isn't the issue, the total size is. Google "48bitLBA" and
    read about it.

    --
    Pat
    Pat, Oct 21, 2005