    they really need an e-mail support page.

    thanks.

    vinnie
    vinnie, Dec 17, 2004

  2. vinnie wrote:
    > greetings ,
    > so i tried to sign in to firefox and a dialog box opened stating
    > the need to create or load a new profile, that the one i wanted was
    > already in use. upon doing this all my bookmarks are gone and i cant get
    > back to my default user settings. any advice is greatly appreciated.
    > they really need an e-mail support page.
    >
    > thanks.
    >
    > vinnie

    You don't say, so I will assume you are using Windows of some variety.

    The problem is most likely that Firefox wasn't completely closed, hence
    the warning about the profile being already in use.

    Firefox will write to prefs.js, to bookmarks.html and other files after
    you have closed it,so you may have simply tried to reopen too soon.

    If you haven't started too much customizing of the new profile, you can
    simply delete it. Open Profile Manager by Start>>Run, and type in
    firefox.exe -p

    Note the space between the exe and -p, its important. You should see two
    profiles listed. Delete the one you created when your problem occurred.
    Open Firefox in the original profile, your bookmarks and settings
    should be restored.

    The next time this happens, give Firefox a little time to finish doing
    whatever its doing. If it doesn't start properly, Ctrl+Alt+Delete, and
    kill the process. Then it should start up.

    There is email support:

    http://support.mozsource.com/a/news

    You have to pay for it.

    Honestly, you will get at least as good, if not better, support in
    newsgroups as you would with any email support system, free or paid,
    with the added advantage that we can all learn from anyone else's
    support questions. To tell you the truth, these types of support people
    (in general, I don't know about Mozsource's people specifically) are
    known to post questions in newsgroups and then charge for the answers.

    This group is good, and there are the official user support groups at
    secnews. Here is a direct link to the Firefox group:

    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.firebird

    Note the 563, this has to be ssl enabled on port 563.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Dec 17, 2004