    capabilities. Suggestions? Radeon cards (such as the the
    All-in-Wonders,etc.)?...nVidia cards?...model #s of each...?a separate
    TV tuner card?TIA
    xdocx, Feb 24, 2004

  2. xdocx

    ICee Guest

    xdocx wrote:
    > I am shopping to configure a new PC and I am undecided on a
    > graphics/video card. I am a casual, not serious, gamer, but also would
    > like great video and graphics (for DVD playback, etc.). I only get a
    > new PC every 4 years, or so, and am trying to get something that would
    > not seem totally like a stone-age machine by then. I am currently
    > looking at the AMD 64 3200+ CPU, 1gig ddr400 ram, WinXP Home, etc.,
    > and feel that a 128meg card would be enough, possibly with TV
    > capabilities. Suggestions? Radeon cards (such as the the
    > All-in-Wonders,etc.)?...nVidia cards?...model #s of each...?a separate
    > TV tuner card?TIA

    Here's all ATI's cards:
    http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html

    The 9600, or 9700 (if you can still find one) in whatever flavor you
    want, is the best for casual gaming. AIW's have the TV tuner and other
    video input/outputs, if that's important. Of course, the 9800 is the
    top of the line, as well as the most expensive ($300 and up, depending
    on which flavor).
    ICee, Feb 24, 2004

  3. xdocx

    br1ght Guest

    For what you want a Geforce2 or 2mx with outputs should
    be more than adequate and give great bang for your $.
    For your purposes I wouldn't go to a Geforce 3 or 4.

    The next move up IMHO would be a card would be a
    Radeon9200 based card although there have been some
    conflicts with mobo's (and bios) that don't like just
    don't like it so I'd check with your builder as to if
    s/he has used your particular combo with success.

    --
    br1ght
    _____________________________

    br1ght, Feb 24, 2004
  4. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    Thanks for the input so far. One other thing... I definitely wasn't
    thinking about any of the top-of-the-line cards. Maybe something in
    the under $200 US range or so instead. The ATI 9600's look good.
    Comments about them?? TIA...again.

    xdocx, Feb 24, 2004
  5. xdocx

    br1ght Guest

    Hi, That is why I recommended those cards. the
    GF2mx400DDR should be had for about $50Cdn without TV
    outs. About $12 more with outs-supplies are getting
    really thin.The reason I like this card is price is
    incredible for the specs (many of the specs beat GF4
    series cards) great driver support and it is
    bulletproof.

    The Radeon 9200se w/outputs about $50-$80Cdn about
    $115 for the R9200 w/outputs.

    --
    br1ght
    _____________________________

    br1ght, Feb 24, 2004
  6. xdocx

    ICee Guest

    xdocx wrote:
    > Thanks for the input so far. One other thing... I definitely wasn't
    > thinking about any of the top-of-the-line cards. Maybe something in
    > the under $200 US range or so instead. The ATI 9600's look good.
    > Comments about them?? TIA...again.
    >
    > On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:07:36 GMT, (xdocx) wrote:
    >
    >> I am shopping to configure a new PC and I am undecided on a
    >> graphics/video card. I am a casual, not serious, gamer, but also
    >> would like great video and graphics (for DVD playback, etc.). I only
    >> get a new PC every 4 years, or so, and am trying to get something
    >> that would not seem totally like a stone-age machine by then. I am
    >> currently looking at the AMD 64 3200+ CPU, 1gig ddr400 ram, WinXP
    >> Home, etc., and feel that a 128meg card would be enough, possibly
    >> with TV capabilities. Suggestions? Radeon cards (such as the the
    >> All-in-Wonders,etc.)?...nVidia cards?...model #s of each...?a
    >> separate TV tuner card?TIA

    The 9600 is a good card. I have the older 9500 pro and it's more than
    adequate for games such as UT 2003, 2004 and others. The 9600,
    especially the 9600XT, is very good for games and all applications, and
    is under $200. The 9600 AIW, with the tuner, video in/out is a bit
    less, and not quite as fast. Both are DX9 hardware capable.
    ICee, Feb 24, 2004
  7. xdocx

    xdocx Guest

    Many thanks for the great input. You have given me some new cards to
    consider and confirmed my impressions about others. I sincerely
    appreciate your input.
    xdocx, Feb 25, 2004