New Granada/Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes DVD releases

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by anthony, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Sherlock Holmes fans, and fans of the Granada Television series
    starring Jeremy Brett, can rejoice.
    Well, sort of rejoice.
    Universal in Australia (Region Four) has released almost the entire
    series of
    'The Return of Sherlock Holmes' and 'The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes'
    in a series
    of five box sets, with 14 discs.
    Missing are the first 12 episodes of 'The Adventures of Sherlock
    Holmes', and two
    mini-movies, 'The Sign of the Four' and 'The Eligible Bachelor'. All
    these are available in Region Two.
    Bad luck for methodical collectors is that Universal has scrambled up
    the sets. They more or less
    (with some vagaries) have been issued back-to-front.
    Viewing should start with Disc Three of Box Set number Five! Here's a
    concordance -- please correct
    any errors you see; my eyes were getting a bit blurry by the end......

    The three-disc Set Five has:
    Disc Three:
    The Final Problem (final of 13 episodes spread over two seasons, in
    'The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes'
    The Empty House (Episode One, Season 3)

    Disc One:
    The Musgrave Ritual (episode Three of Series 3, 'The Return of
    Sherlock Holmes')
    The Abbey Grange (Episode Two of Season Three, 'Return')

    Disc Two:
    The Priory School (Episode Six of Season 3, 'Return')
    The Second Stain (Episode Four of Season 3, 'Return')

    The three-disc Set Four has:
    Disc Three
    The Man with the Twisted Lip (Episode Five, Season 3, 'Return')
    The Six Napoleons (Episode Seven, Season 3, 'Return')

    Disc Two
    The Devil's Foot (Episode Three, Season 4, 'Return')
    Silver Blaze (Episode Four, Season 3, 'Return')

    Disc One
    Wisteria Lodge (Episode Five, Season 4, 'Return')
    The Bruce Partington Plan (Episode Six, Season 4, 'Return')

    The three-disc Set Three has:
    Disc Three:
    The Problem of Thor Bridge (Episode One, Season 5, 'The Memoirs of
    Sherlock Holmes')
    The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax (Episode Two, Season 5,
    'Memoirs')

    Disc Two:
    Shoscombe Old Place (Episode Three, Season 5, 'Memoirs')
    The Boscome Valley Mystery (Episode Four, Season 5, 'Memoirs')

    Disc One:
    The Illustrious Client (Episode Five, Season 5, 'Memoirs')
    The Creeping Man (Episode Six, Season 5, 'Memoirs')

    The three-disc Set Two has:
    Disc Three:
    The Three Gales (Episode One, Season 7, 'Memoirs')
    The Dying Detective (Episode Two, Season 7, 'Memoirs')

    Disc Two:
    The Golden Pince-nez (Episode Three, Season 7, 'Memoirs')
    The Red Circle (Episode Four, Season 7, 'Memoirs')

    Disc One:
    The Mazarin Stone (Episode Five, Season 7, 'Memoirs')
    The Cardboard Box (Episode Six, Season 7, 'Memoirs')

    The two-disc Set One has:
    Disc One
    The Hound of the Baskervilles (episode Seven, Season Four, 'Return'

    Disc Two
    The Master Blackmailer (Episodes One and 2, Season 6)
    The Last Vampyre (Episodes Three and four, Season 6)

    Missing are the first twelve episodes (seasons One and Two )of The
    Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.
    Also missing is 'The Sign of the Four' (episodes One and Two of Season
    4) and
    'The Eligible Bachelor' (episodes Five and Six of Season Six). All
    these missing episodes are available
    in Region One.

    Also missing is the story of the Giant Rat of Sumatra. Perhaps
    Universal thought the world
    was not yet ready for that tale.
    anthony, Oct 30, 2003

  2. anthony

    ThorCromer Guest

    Are the region 1's release complete? The movies and the 2 series box sets?

    ThorCromer, Oct 31, 2003

  3. anthony

    napalm68 Guest

    And isn't their also a complete UK set anyhow?

    napalm68, Oct 31, 2003
  4. anthony

    Ian Smith Guest

    I purchased the movie set which was short by 2 movies I think compared to os
    version
    and also I found the transfer quality less than satisfactory and as well as
    the stuff-ups
    they are not worth it here I think I must go OS to get them. I tried to get
    some reason from Universal
    Australia and found them fuckwits.

    Ian Smith, Oct 31, 2003
  5. Patrick Navin, Oct 31, 2003
  6. anthony

    anthony Guest

    There is a British Region Two box-set that seems to include every
    episode, but I've no way of checking how complete it is, or how
    accurate.
    The innacuracies I'm referring to relate strictly to the Region Four
    release.
    At least the transfers seem generally pretty good, given the variable
    nature of the source material.
    And using the concordance I've prepared, we can view them in the right
    order!
    anthony, Nov 1, 2003
  7. anthony

    karlpov Guest

    No. There are two further series of episodes, which appeared under the
    titles "Casebook" and "Memoirs", half a dozen episodes each, which
    will presumably be combined for one further big keep case. See
    http://charon.ucsd.edu/kli/HolmesEG/episodes.html for a complete list
    of the Brett Sherlocks.

    karlpov, Nov 1, 2003
  8. anthony

    Ian Smith Guest

    check out this site http://charon.ucsd.edu/kli/HolmesEG/
    Ian Smith, Nov 1, 2003
  9. anthony

    Ian Smith Guest

    According to this site http://charon.ucsd.edu/kli/HolmesEG/
    Universal have well and truly confused this set. None of the set available
    in R4
    include Adventures of sherlock holmes seasons 1 & 2 1984 and 1985.
    They have memoirs (1994) Vol 2, Casebook (1990) Vol 3, return (1986) plus 2
    eps from season 1988.
    Personally after looking at this and being a fan of this great series and
    had some unfortunate
    dealings with Universal Home Video Australia I'll just buy them os.

    Ian Smith, Nov 1, 2003
  10. anthony

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    Not so long ago, in a Newsgroup, not so very far away POD {Ò¿Ó} whipped
    out his laser sword, set it to tickle and prodded Ian Smith with his
    throbbing weapon, who gasped out in wonder to all in uk.media.dvd:

    > According to this site http://charon.ucsd.edu/kli/HolmesEG/
    > Universal have well and truly confused this set. None of the set
    > available in R4
    > include Adventures of sherlock holmes seasons 1 & 2 1984 and 1985.
    > They have memoirs (1994) Vol 2, Casebook (1990) Vol 3, return (1986)
    > plus 2 eps from season 1988.
    > Personally after looking at this and being a fan of this great series
    > and had some unfortunate
    > dealings with Universal Home Video Australia I'll just buy them os.

    Well as a recently new owner of the UK R2 boxset, I'm well pleased, 23
    discs, nice enought transfer, but poor sourse material, but nice to have
    the whole lot ;-)

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Nov 1, 2003
  11. anthony

    anthony Guest

    The Region 2 box set does seem the way to go!
    It looks great on the Amazon.co.uk site. Unfortunately, looking at it
    will be all I'll be able to do......
    anthony, Nov 2, 2003
  12. anthony

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    While walking in circles and doubting the very ground beneath then on Sun
    02 Nov 2003 03:08:36a, anthony made this startling admission to all in
    uk.media.dvd

    > The Region 2 box set does seem the way to go!
    > It looks great on the Amazon.co.uk site. Unfortunately, looking at it
    > will be all I'll be able to do......

    Aye, it's a big item, and the packaging is non too impressive, being a
    rather cheep cardboard box, and I'm sure if any of you in Austrailia are
    considering it, I'm sure it would take a beating on the trip over.

    I am thinking of constructing something finer.

    --
    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Nov 2, 2003