    cartoons. But now we may governments actively attacking our news media.

    John Herron
    at NIST.org

    NIST.org, Mar 1, 2006

  2. NIST.org

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 28 Feb 2006 21:45:15 -0800, "NIST.org" <>
    wrote:

    >As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now we possibly have
    >foreign governments censoring western media within our own borders!
    >
    >http://www.nist.org/news.php?extend.86
    >
    >Hopefully we'll have the backbone and technical ability to stop it. Its
    >
    >bad enough to have news agencies threatened, and people dying, over
    >cartoons. But now we may governments actively attacking our news media.

    BOLLOCKS

    Yet another bit of propaganda to discredit the Iranians.

    At one stage I had more Internet connectivity than Iran.

    A DOS attack on a newspaper does not cost the paper anything,
    however the people who worry about that sort of thing and fund the
    countermeasures are the gaming sites. Its well known and
    understood.

    On a political note, the cartoons were plain offensive even if
    you are not a believer, and the hipocracy of 'free speech' is seen
    jailing David Irving for telling the truth about gas chambers
    constructed in 1948 as a propaganda exercise.

    Given the mess that the US has made of Iraq, who can blame
    the Iranians in wanting to defend their way of life from the Great
    Satan greedy for their oil.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 1, 2006

  3. NIST.org

    Johan Wevers Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote:

    >On a political note, the cartoons were plain offensive even if
    >you are not a believer,

    What a nonsense. And even if they were, that's called freedom of speech.

    >and the hipocracy of 'free speech' is seen
    >jailing David Irving for telling the truth about gas chambers
    >constructed in 1948 as a propaganda exercise.

    I don't believe the nonsense Irving is writing, but I agree that jailing him
    for his opinion is plain wrong.

    >Given the mess that the US has made of Iraq, who can blame
    >the Iranians in wanting to defend their way of life from the Great
    >Satan greedy for their oil.

    I can certainly understand why they would want nuclear weapons. However,
    fortunately the US can't afford to invade Iran too.

    --
    ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
    4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html

    Johan Wevers, Mar 1, 2006
  4. NIST.org

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 19:11:38 GMT, 4all.nl (Johan
    Wevers) wrote:

    >Jim Watt <_way> wrote:
    >
    >>On a political note, the cartoons were plain offensive even if
    >>you are not a believer,

    >What a nonsense. And even if they were, that's called freedom of speech.

    How can you say 'nonsense' I found them offensive and exceedingly
    stupid, not that the Danes are noted for their humour.

    >I don't believe the nonsense Irving is writing, but I agree that jailing him
    >for his opinion is plain wrong.

    Firstly he is not being jailed for anything he has written but for
    what he said, which happens to be true.

    However, I think the consensus is that in terms of DOS attacks
    the story is mindless propaganda.
    ..
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 1, 2006
  5. NIST.org

    Unruh Guest

    4all.nl (Johan Wevers) writes:

    >Jim Watt <_way> wrote:

    >>On a political note, the cartoons were plain offensive even if
    >>you are not a believer,

    >What a nonsense. And even if they were, that's called freedom of speech.

    Complete nonesense. There is not nor ever has been an issue of freedom of
    speech. Freedom of speach does not mean that noone should get upset by
    anything you say. It just means that you should not be prosecuted for your
    political speech.

    And where in the world has been the outcry against the jailing of Irving
    for his speech in Austria? Or is freedom of speech only there when people
    say something you do not object to? ( I think what he said was ignorant and
    stupid, but if that were the criterion most of us would be in jail for
    something we had said at some time in our lives).

    The cartoons were silly, but the reprinting of them and the loud
    protestations about freedom of speech were simply blatant hypocrisy.

    >>and the hipocracy of 'free speech' is seen
    >>jailing David Irving for telling the truth about gas chambers
    >>constructed in 1948 as a propaganda exercise.

    Hardly the truth. Even he admits that he was wrong.

    >I don't believe the nonsense Irving is writing, but I agree that jailing him
    >for his opinion is plain wrong.

    And where are the mainstream newspapers reprinting his writings to protest against his
    jailing?

    Unruh, Mar 2, 2006
  6. NIST.org

    A.Melon Guest

    Unruh said

    Towelheads!

    A.Melon, Mar 2, 2006
  7. NIST.org

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 2 Mar 2006 00:32:31 GMT, Unruh <> wrote:

    >>>and the hipocracy of 'free speech' is seen
    >>>jailing David Irving for telling the truth about gas chambers
    >>>constructed in 1948 as a propaganda exercise.

    >Hardly the truth. Even he admits that he was wrong.

    He admits saying it was wrong, but its factually correct.

    However, it seems that in Austrian law the truth of
    things is not a defence.

    Remind me not to go there. However none of this has
    anything to do with computer security.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Mar 2, 2006
  8. NIST.org

    donnie Guest

    wrote:

    >As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now we possibly have
    >foreign governments censoring western media within our own borders!

    ###################################
    Does that mean they are going to censor all that right wing propaganda
    that's I've been hearing since the 50s? Well, I'm glad someone is
    thinking clearly.

    donnie, Mar 2, 2006
  9. donnie wrote:

    > On 28 Feb 2006 21:45:15 -0800, "NIST.org" <> wrote:
    >
    >>As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now we possibly have foreign
    >>governments censoring western media within our own borders!

    > ###################################
    > Does that mean they are going to censor all that right wing propaganda
    > that's I've been hearing since the 50s? Well, I'm glad someone is
    > thinking clearly.

    <laugh>

    Ya' know, I was thinking the same thing. If you were to somehow eliminate
    the US news media industry from existence right now, the IQ of the average
    US citizen would jump 20 points by tomorrow morning.

    The US is one of the best places on earth for speaking your mind but
    that's a double edged sword. It also means that anyone speaking their
    mind has far more latitude when injecting their own bias. As with all
    things, the more freedom something offers, the more it can be and will be
    abused. :(

    George Orwell, Mar 3, 2006
  10. NIST.org

    none Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote in

    snip
    > On a political note, the cartoons were plain offensive even if
    > you are not a believer, and the hipocracy of 'free speech' is seen
    > jailing David Irving for telling the truth about gas chambers
    > constructed in 1948 as a propaganda exercise.

    They were built considerably before 1948 sonny. Having watched hundreds
    being herded into them and narrowly escaping that fate myself, I KNOW the
    reality of the ovens.

    Denying the holocaust is an exercise in stupidity. You're free to do so if
    you wish, but it's not going to get you anything worthwhile. Some people
    will laugh at you, others will hate you, most will wonder at your wilfull
    ignorance of truth.

    > Given the mess that the US has made of Iraq, who can blame
    > the Iranians in wanting to defend their way of life from the Great
    > Satan greedy for their oil.

    If they're so evil and greedy for oil, why have they not taken any of it
    yet? If you claim they have, please provide verifyable documentation.
    I'll have you know that those Yanks are the second best thing that has
    happened to the modern world. The re-birth of Israel being the best.

    none, Mar 4, 2006
  11. NIST.org

    donnie Guest

    On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:24:57 +0100 (CET), George Orwell
    <> wrote:

    >donnie wrote:
    >
    >> On 28 Feb 2006 21:45:15 -0800, "NIST.org" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>As if we didn't have enough to worry about. Now we possibly have foreign
    >>>governments censoring western media within our own borders!

    >> ###################################
    >> Does that mean they are going to censor all that right wing propaganda
    >> that's I've been hearing since the 50s? Well, I'm glad someone is
    >> thinking clearly.

    ><laugh>
    >
    >Ya' know, I was thinking the same thing. If you were to somehow eliminate
    >the US news media industry from existence right now, the IQ of the average
    >US citizen would jump 20 points by tomorrow morning.

    Well said.

    donnie, Mar 4, 2006