    certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.
    It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new one
    will make it all a lot worse.

    Geopelia, May 11, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    On 5/12/2012 2:57 AM, Geopelia wrote:
    > I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    >
    > I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    > Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    > Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    > What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that way.
    >
    > I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    > certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.
    > It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new one
    > will make it all a lot worse.

    I know for the 2 factor stuff you have the option of getting a phone
    call. Perhaps that works for forgot passwords too? never tried it.

    Richard, May 12, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-05-11, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    >
    > I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    > Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    > Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    > What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that way.

    Security is about breaking the connection/link, the trail. Convenience vs
    security. By switching to another route to deliver the key, Google have
    dropped a great deal of the crooks following.

    Yes it is inconvient that the door to ones house is locked, but one does
    have the key. So get it out and open the door.

    > I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    > certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.

    No society, or the minority within it have.

    > It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new one
    > will make it all a lot worse.

    Have you considered the alternatives Geo? Sure it pisses one off that the
    world has changed. However it has. Bugger!

    Gordon, May 13, 2012
  4. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-05-11, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >> I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    >>
    >> I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    >> Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    >> Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    >> What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that
    >> way.

    > Security is about breaking the connection/link, the trail. Convenience vs
    > security. By switching to another route to deliver the key, Google have
    > dropped a great deal of the crooks following.
    >
    > Yes it is inconvient that the door to ones house is locked, but one does
    > have the key. So get it out and open the door.
    >

    >> I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    >> certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.

    > No society, or the minority within it have.
    >

    >> It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new
    >> one
    >> will make it all a lot worse.
    >>

    > Have you considered the alternatives Geo? Sure it pisses one off that the
    > world has changed. However it has. Bugger!

    Yes, I use these newsgroups instead of Google groups.

    I don't mind the world changing, as long as it changes for the better.
    I've seen a lot of changes since I was born in 1929, not always an
    improvement.

    Geopelia, May 13, 2012
  5. In article <joj9d6$f9j$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    >
    >I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    >Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    >Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    >What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that way.
    >
    >I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    >certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.
    >It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new one
    >will make it all a lot worse.

    As an aside, many news group reader's block everything posted by/from google
    groups to improve the signal to noise ratio. :)
    If that's your only choice for news, fine ... but I really suggest using
    a "real" news reader and free NNTP server (like aioe or eternal september).

    (nz.gen snipped)

    Bruce Sinclair, May 14, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:jopj8r$nq5$...
    > In article <joj9d6$f9j$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    >>
    >>I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    >>Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    >>Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    >>What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that
    >>way.
    >>
    >>I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    >>certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.
    >>It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new
    >>one
    >>will make it all a lot worse.

    > As an aside, many news group reader's block everything posted by/from
    > google
    > groups to improve the signal to noise ratio. :)
    > If that's your only choice for news, fine ... but I really suggest using
    > a "real" news reader and free NNTP server (like aioe or eternal
    > september).
    >
    > (nz.gen snipped)

    Yes, I use both of those, usually eternal-september, with aioe if september
    isn't working.

    I used to notice some posts in Google didn't appear in eternal-september,
    but I'm not using google groups now.

    Geopelia, May 14, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <joobke$gtn$>, , Geopelia
    says...

    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > On 2012-05-11, Geopelia <> wrote:
    > >> I've been looking at how the new Google Groups work.
    > >>
    > >> I see if I forget my password to can get it sent to my mobile phone.
    > >> Brilliant idea, but I don't have a mobile phone.
    > >> Google's bright suggestion, use a friend's mobile.
    > >> What's wrong with good old email? Other outfits send the password that
    > >> way.

    > > Security is about breaking the connection/link, the trail. Convenience vs
    > > security. By switching to another route to deliver the key, Google have
    > > dropped a great deal of the crooks following.
    > >
    > > Yes it is inconvient that the door to ones house is locked, but one does
    > > have the key. So get it out and open the door.
    > >

    > >> I'm not going to be using Google except for looking up things as now,
    > >> certainly not the new groups. They have made things much too complicated.

    > > No society, or the minority within it have.
    > >

    > >> It was bad enough when they changed things a few years ago, but this new
    > >> one
    > >> will make it all a lot worse.
    > >>

    > > Have you considered the alternatives Geo? Sure it pisses one off that the
    > > world has changed. However it has. Bugger!

    > Yes, I use these newsgroups instead of Google groups.

    They're the same thing. Google Groups is just Google's HTML (web)
    implementation of usenet.

    > I don't mind the world changing, as long as it changes for the better.
    > I've seen a lot of changes since I was born in 1929, not always an
    > improvement.

    Maybe you should try out a decent newsreader - Outlook Express sucks as
    a newsreader, IMO.

    I like Gravity...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/?source=directory

    You might like the, um, change :) (And it'll quite happily co-exist
    with OE. I bet you won't keep using OE for much longer though :)

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, May 14, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <joobke$gtn$>, , Geopelia
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >> > Security is about breaking the connection/link, the trail. Convenience
    >> > vs
    >> > security. By switching to another route to deliver the key, Google have
    >> > dropped a great deal of the crooks following.
    >> >
    >> > Yes it is inconvient that the door to ones house is locked, but one
    >> > does
    >> > have the key. So get it out and open the door.

    >> > No society, or the minority within it have.

    >> > Have you considered the alternatives Geo? Sure it pisses one off that
    >> > the
    >> > world has changed. However it has. Bugger!

    >> Yes, I use these newsgroups instead of Google groups.

    > They're the same thing. Google Groups is just Google's HTML (web)
    > implementation of usenet.
    >
    >> I don't mind the world changing, as long as it changes for the better.
    >> I've seen a lot of changes since I was born in 1929, not always an
    >> improvement.

    > Maybe you should try out a decent newsreader - Outlook Express sucks as
    > a newsreader, IMO.
    >
    > I like Gravity...
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpgravity/?source=directory
    >
    > You might like the, um, change :) (And it'll quite happily co-exist
    > with OE. I bet you won't keep using OE for much longer though :)

    I usually look at the news from the top of the Google page, in case there is
    something worth following up in a newspaper. I can get most of those on the
    computer.

    I leave new programs etc to the computer man. I suppose I'll have to change
    from XP sooner or later.

    Geopelia, May 16, 2012