    pages with the specs...
    Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 27, 2005

  2. Derek Janssen

    Justin Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:24 -0700]:
    > Under the radar, Sony Music announced plans to re-release (remaster?)
    > their earlier 5-disk box of the five "core" 60's-Toho Godzilla movies
    > (G:KotM w/Burr, GvM, Revenge, etc.) on 11/15:
    >
    > Remember hearing rumors that the disks were going to be up-tweaked a bit
    > from their earlier "cheapie" '02 release (widescreen? new dubs?)--now
    > that Sony has a little more pull with Toho to put out more respectable
    > R1 versions than they had in '02--but I can't seem to find any catalog
    > pages with the specs...
    > Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    year, but with subs.

    Justin, Oct 27, 2005

  3. Derek Janssen

    Goro Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:24 -0700]:
    > > Under the radar, Sony Music announced plans to re-release (remaster?)
    > > their earlier 5-disk box of the five "core" 60's-Toho Godzilla movies
    > > (G:KotM w/Burr, GvM, Revenge, etc.) on 11/15:
    > >
    > > Remember hearing rumors that the disks were going to be up-tweaked a bit
    > > from their earlier "cheapie" '02 release (widescreen? new dubs?)--now
    > > that Sony has a little more pull with Toho to put out more respectable
    > > R1 versions than they had in '02--but I can't seem to find any catalog
    > > pages with the specs...
    > > Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    > They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    > year, but with subs.

    http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TDV-15001D

    Every few weeks, I think about buying it then think better of it.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 27, 2005
  4. Derek Janssen

    Apocolypso Guest

    "Justin" wrote:

    > Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:24 -0700]:
    >> Under the radar, Sony Music announced plans to re-release (remaster?)
    >> their earlier 5-disk box of the five "core" 60's-Toho Godzilla movies
    >> (G:KotM w/Burr, GvM, Revenge, etc.) on 11/15:
    >>
    >> Remember hearing rumors that the disks were going to be up-tweaked a bit
    >> from their earlier "cheapie" '02 release (widescreen? new dubs?)--now
    >> that Sony has a little more pull with Toho to put out more respectable
    >> R1 versions than they had in '02--but I can't seem to find any catalog
    >> pages with the specs...
    >> Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    > They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    > year, but with subs.

    Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along with
    the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's going
    to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?

    T.B.

    Apocolypso, Oct 27, 2005
  5. Derek Janssen

    Justin Guest

    Apocolypso wrote on [Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:45:54 GMT]:
    > "Justin" wrote:
    >
    >> Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:24 -0700]:
    >>> Under the radar, Sony Music announced plans to re-release (remaster?)
    >>> their earlier 5-disk box of the five "core" 60's-Toho Godzilla movies
    >>> (G:KotM w/Burr, GvM, Revenge, etc.) on 11/15:
    >>>
    >>> Remember hearing rumors that the disks were going to be up-tweaked a bit
    >>> from their earlier "cheapie" '02 release (widescreen? new dubs?)--now
    >>> that Sony has a little more pull with Toho to put out more respectable
    >>> R1 versions than they had in '02--but I can't seem to find any catalog
    >>> pages with the specs...
    >>> Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    >> They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    >> year, but with subs.

    > Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along with
    > the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's going
    > to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?

    Yes.

    It wouldn't sell for $800 in the US though.

    Justin, Oct 27, 2005
  6. Derek Janssen

    Invid Fan Guest

    In article <2go.com>, Justin
    <> wrote:

    > Apocolypso wrote on [Thu, 27 Oct 2005 15:45:54 GMT]:

    > >> They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    > >> year, but with subs.

    > > Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along
    > > with
    > > the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's going
    > > to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?

    > Yes.
    >
    > It wouldn't sell for $800 in the US though.

    It would if Toho didn't want it re-imported into Japan.

    -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

    Invid Fan, Oct 27, 2005
  7. Derek Janssen

    Goro Guest

    Apocolypso wrote:
    > "Justin" wrote:
    >
    > > Derek Janssen wrote on [Wed, 26 Oct 2005 18:39:24 -0700]:
    > >> Under the radar, Sony Music announced plans to re-release (remaster?)
    > >> their earlier 5-disk box of the five "core" 60's-Toho Godzilla movies
    > >> (G:KotM w/Burr, GvM, Revenge, etc.) on 11/15:
    > >>
    > >> Remember hearing rumors that the disks were going to be up-tweaked a bit
    > >> from their earlier "cheapie" '02 release (widescreen? new dubs?)--now
    > >> that Sony has a little more pull with Toho to put out more respectable
    > >> R1 versions than they had in '02--but I can't seem to find any catalog
    > >> pages with the specs...
    > >> Any geek of the true faith know the details?...Technical improvements?

    > > They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    > > year, but with subs.

    > Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along with
    > the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's going
    > to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?
    >
    > T.B.

    That's $800 BEFORE shipping. YesAsia, which provides "free" shipping
    lists it for $1100+.

    It'd just be nice to get even the individual discs released R1 with
    subs.

    FINAL WARS is really quite fun and it will be nice to get it released
    in the US. I think it alrady did the festival circuit, so the DVD
    shouldn't be too far off, i think (although ijust bit hte bullet and
    bought the R2).

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 27, 2005
  8. Derek Janssen

    TB Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message

    > Apocolypso wrote:

    >> > They just need to release the box set they did in Japan earlier this
    >> > year, but with subs.

    >> Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along
    >> with
    >> the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's
    >> going
    >> to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?
    >>
    >> T.B.

    > That's $800 BEFORE shipping. YesAsia, which provides "free" shipping
    > lists it for $1100+.
    >
    > It'd just be nice to get even the individual discs released R1 with
    > subs.
    >
    > FINAL WARS is really quite fun and it will be nice to get it released
    > in the US. I think it alrady did the festival circuit, so the DVD
    > shouldn't be too far off, i think (although ijust bit hte bullet and
    > bought the R2).

    I picked up the 3 disc R2 special edition of Final Wars when it came out
    over the Summer and while it was enjoyable, it's certainly not one of the
    better Godzilla flicks and many fans out and out hate it for the choppy
    direction and editing style. Just watching the opening credits might cause a
    brain seizure and makes one wish for the comparitively leisurely
    directing/editing style of Michael Bay. What made that dvd special was the
    very cool Godzilla retrospective on the extra disc that detailed the various
    actors and suits used to portay the character over the last half century.

    Getting back to the giant complete box set, has anyone actually bought it? I
    was wondering what was on the 2 or 3 bonus dvds that were exclusive to that
    release. I know one was the remastered "Godzilla Fantasia" feature but I was
    wondering if the other discs had the special effects out takes that only
    have been available on the old "Godzilla Death Battle" laserdisc box and an
    older vhs release.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 28, 2005
  9. Invid Fan wrote:

    >>>Are you talking about the giant box set contining about 28 movies along
    >>>with
    >>>the big rubber head of Godzilla? That would be really cool but who's going
    >>>to spend upwards of $800 for such a collection?

    >>It wouldn't sell for $800 in the US though.

    > It would if Toho didn't want it re-imported into Japan.

    Yes, but the fact that Toho *has* finally gotten some of their own out
    onto R2 over there seems to have "ended the war" and freed up some of
    the import trade agreements, at least on the major half of the titles
    that Sony actually has the rights to--
    Judging from the fact that we could finally get DUAL-language vintage
    restored "Hedorah", "Ebirah" (and no, not "Smog Monster" and "Sea
    Monster", either) and "Son of" R1's from Sony last spring...

    - WHICH BRINGS US BACK TO -

    our original question, ie. whether this new studio leniency affected
    hurdles with that earlier box, and Sony Music's new November releases
    are any more interesting than they were three years ago...
    Does *ANYBODY* know, before I plunk down the $59.99 two weeks from now?

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Oct 28, 2005
  10. Derek Janssen

    Goro Guest

    TB wrote:
    *snip*

    > I picked up the 3 disc R2 special edition of Final Wars when it came out
    > over the Summer and while it was enjoyable, it's certainly not one of the
    > better Godzilla flicks and many fans out and out hate it for the choppy
    > direction and editing style. Just watching the opening credits might cause a
    > brain seizure and makes one wish for the comparitively leisurely
    > directing/editing style of Michael Bay. What made that dvd special was the
    > very cool Godzilla retrospective on the extra disc that detailed the various
    > actors and suits used to portay the character over the last half century.

    I'll agree soemwhat.

    I think Ryuhei Kitamura does a great job when the Monsters are on
    screen, but when he's dealing with the human action, it becomes really
    awful. The hyperkinetic cutting/editing hides the really awful action
    staging/choreography. THis is of course his trademark and is what I've
    noticed ever since I first saw VERSUS and thru to SKY HIGH.

    I'll say that I really enjoy his storytelling (i even liked ALIVE) and
    his visual sense, too. I just wish he'd "settle down" and calm the
    frnzied editing to about 25% of what it is now.

    Still, I think that overall he was a good choice as he did do very well
    when the Monsters were fighting. There was the highly-financed,
    well-produced feel of a big budget movie, but it retained much of the
    charm of the old Godzilla movies.

    -goro-

    Goro, Oct 28, 2005
  11. Derek Janssen

    karlpov Guest

    Is there any edition of the original 'Godzilla' available in R1 with
    the original Japanese Japanese-language movie, perhaps with the
    Raymond Burr scenes as extras?

    karlpov, Nov 1, 2005