New GigaBank Elite (I/O Magic) problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MaryL, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    I am attempting to use a GigaBank Elite external hard drive for backups
    (40GB, by I/O Magic). I have a second identical disk that I have used for
    several years. I bought the second one through eBay. It is new, still in the
    original hard-shall packaging, so it had never been used. I bought it a
    couple of months ago and (foolishly) did not try it at the time, so it is
    now much too late to go back to the seller.

    It looks like this is going to have to be tossed into the trash heap, but I
    was hoping someone on this group might have some suggestions for me to try
    first. I said I want it for backups, but I actually started by trying to
    simply *copy* files to the disk. I copied *one* small file to it as a test,
    and it seemed to copy. After that, everything seemed to shut down. I cannot
    even open it to try check the disk. Here is what I have tried (all
    failures):

    Files will not copy

    ---Properties shows solid blue, as if the disk is full with no free space.
    However, it reports 0 bytes for Used Space, 0 bytes for Free Space, and 0
    bytes for capacity

    ---The drive is not accessible: "The request could not be performed because
    of an I/O device error"

    ---An attempt to exit Properties resulted in "program not responding

    ---Tried to format; after a *very* long time, Windows reported that it could
    not complete the format (twice – once with full format and once with Quick
    Format)

    ---When I plugged it in to a different USB drive, it said the device is not
    formatted and asked it I wanted to format; the attempt ended in another
    failure

    ---Could not check disk – just quickly flashes on and then off

    Is there any hope for this, or is it a defective disk that I need to
    discard? I am running Win XP-Home Edition on a Compaq Presario 8000.

    Thanks for any help!

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 9, 2007

  2. MaryL wrote:
    > I am attempting to use a GigaBank Elite external hard drive for backups
    > (40GB, by I/O Magic). I have a second identical disk that I have used for
    > several years. I bought the second one through eBay. It is new, still in the
    > original hard-shall packaging, so it had never been used. I bought it a
    > couple of months ago and (foolishly) did not try it at the time, so it is
    > now much too late to go back to the seller.
    >
    > It looks like this is going to have to be tossed into the trash heap, but I
    > was hoping someone on this group might have some suggestions for me to try
    > first. I said I want it for backups, but I actually started by trying to
    > simply *copy* files to the disk. I copied *one* small file to it as a test,
    > and it seemed to copy. After that, everything seemed to shut down. I cannot
    > even open it to try check the disk. Here is what I have tried (all
    > failures):
    >
    > Files will not copy
    >
    > ---Properties shows solid blue, as if the disk is full with no free space.
    > However, it reports 0 bytes for Used Space, 0 bytes for Free Space, and 0
    > bytes for capacity
    >
    > ---The drive is not accessible: "The request could not be performed because
    > of an I/O device error"
    >
    > ---An attempt to exit Properties resulted in "program not responding
    >
    > ---Tried to format; after a *very* long time, Windows reported that it could
    > not complete the format (twice – once with full format and once with Quick
    > Format)
    >
    > ---When I plugged it in to a different USB drive, it said the device is not
    > formatted and asked it I wanted to format; the attempt ended in another
    > failure
    >
    > ---Could not check disk – just quickly flashes on and then off
    >
    > Is there any hope for this, or is it a defective disk that I need to
    > discard? I am running Win XP-Home Edition on a Compaq Presario 8000.

    Bin it. Sorry, but shit happens.
    --
    Or resell it on eBay.

    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 9, 2007

  3. MaryL

    MaryL Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > MaryL wrote:
    >> I am attempting to use a GigaBank Elite external hard drive for backups
    >> (40GB, by I/O Magic).

    <snip>

    > Bin it. Sorry, but shit happens.
    > --

    Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected. Even though it will probably
    soon be in the trash barrel, I thought I would check first to see if anyone
    has any ideas about this.

    MaryL

    MaryL, Jun 9, 2007