    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 11, 2006

  2. On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, "Wayne J. Cosshall"
    <> wrote:

    >I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
    >international photography speaker:
    ><http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
    >It is the simple things we often forget.

    So where's the tip?

    All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
    and some Amazon ads.
    --
    Regards,

    John Phillips
    Sydney, Australia
    John Phillips, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Duncan Guest

    The tip John is how to drive more people to your site to pump up your hit
    rate!!! ;-)

    Agree with you that it has nothing to offer.

    Duncan

    Duncan, Dec 15, 2006
  4. Wayne J. Cosshall

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:20:38 +1100, John Phillips wrote:

    >> I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
    >> international photography speaker:
    >> <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
    >> It is the simple things we often forget.

    > So where's the tip?
    >
    > All I get is a page full of ads from Google, a portrait of the "author"
    > and some Amazon ads.

    There's a list of them just below the ad that's below the author's
    portrait (both the ad and the portrait are the same size). Most web
    browsers should show them if you scroll down the page slightly.
    This isn't very hard to do unless your browser has no scroll bars or
    is otherwise broken. If you scroll down a little bit, you should
    see these articles (one actual link uncloaked):

    ASAAR, Dec 15, 2006
  5. If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
    will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
    If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
    <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806>

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 15, 2006
  6. Wayne J. Cosshall

    ray Guest

    On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:07:15 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I've posted the latest Foto Tip by Mark Alberhasky, a Nikon mentor and
    > international photography speaker:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/specials/fototips.php>
    > It is the simple things we often forget.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    IMHO a very poorly designed web site. The links look like normal text
    instead of links, and the vital info is "below the fold".
    ray, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Wayne J. Cosshall

    R.J Heath Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > If you scroll down, depending on the size of your browser window, you
    > will find a series of links to the tip articles he has presented so far.
    > If you want to go to the latest tip it is:
    > <http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=806>
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    Why not just post that the first time
    R.J Heath, Dec 15, 2006
  8. R.J Heath wrote:
    > Why not just post that the first time

    It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
    you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
    would see not only that post but his others.

    You can't please everyone.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Wayne J. Cosshall

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:41:57 +1100, Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:

    > R.J Heath wrote:
    >> Why not just post that the first time

    > It never occurred to me that someone couldn't scroll down. Besides, if
    > you haven't read any of Mark's columns before, the way I posted people
    > would see not only that post but his others.
    >
    > You can't please everyone.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Wayne

    Two prime tenets of web site design:

    1) make the links look like links
    2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.
    ray, Dec 16, 2006
  10. ray wrote:
    > Two prime tenets of web site design:
    >
    > 1) make the links look like links
    > 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    I can tell you that I am constantly considering changes to the site, and
    will take the preceding comments on board, as I always do. However, if
    you have actually designed a site with as much content as my one has,
    you'll know that there are a lot of issues in the design of the site,
    many of which pull you in opposite directions. Moving away from the
    'traditional' blue underlined links is not something you do lightly.
    Many sites have moved away from this, to a greater or lesser extent,
    such as:
    http://www.theage.com.au/
    and
    http://www.nytimes.com/
    Others have not. It is, in fact, all a juggling act, usually informed by
    assessments of the types of users visiting a site and their level of
    proficiency.

    There is the rollover change of color when you hover the cursor, but I
    will change that to include an underline so it is even clearer.

    The specifics of Mark's page are flexible. I put the cruise ad in to
    support Mark. Without it the links to the individual columns comes up
    much higher. I think I'll move it below the column links.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 16, 2006
  11. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Rick Sciacca Guest

    Rick Sciacca, Dec 16, 2006
  12. ray <> wrote:

    >Two prime tenets of web site design:
    >
    >1) make the links look like links
    >2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    3) Get rid of all the crap!

    James McNangle
    James McNangle, Dec 16, 2006
  13. James McNangle wrote:
    > ray <> wrote:
    >
    >> Two prime tenets of web site design:
    >>
    >> 1) make the links look like links
    >> 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    > 3) Get rid of all the crap!
    >

    > James McNangle

    Define crap?

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 16, 2006
  14. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Fred Guest

    Wayne J. Cosshall wrote:
    > James McNangle wrote:
    >> ray <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Two prime tenets of web site design:
    >>>
    >>> 1) make the links look like links
    >>> 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    >> 3) Get rid of all the crap!
    >>

    >> James McNangle

    > Define crap?

    your website layout for starters
    Fred, Dec 17, 2006
  15. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:43:52 +1100
    James McNangle <> wrote:

    > ray <> wrote:
    >
    > >Two prime tenets of web site design:
    > >
    > >1) make the links look like links
    > >2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    > 3) Get rid of all the crap!
    >

    > James McNangle

    Chrikey !!!
    I'm back to a blank screen.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
    Neil Ellwood, Dec 17, 2006
  16. ray wrote:
    > Two prime tenets of web site design:
    >
    > 1) make the links look like links
    > 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.

    Ok, Ray, I am trying all links with underlines. Personally I find it
    makes things more cluttered but I am willing to give it a try. I am
    happy for meaningful feedback, such as yours was.

    I've also changed the main page for Mark's column.

    Cheers,

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 17, 2006
  17. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Duncan Guest

    Links only have to reveal themselves when a cursor is moved over it and so
    the decoration need not be visual until required. Thus maintaining a neat
    and visually appealing design.

    Duncan

    Duncan, Dec 17, 2006
  18. Wayne J. Cosshall

    Poxy Guest

    > ray wrote:
    > > Two prime tenets of web site design:
    > >
    > > 1) make the links look like links
    > > 2) put the material of primary interest 'above the fold'.
    > >

    > Ok, Ray, I am trying all links with underlines. Personally I find it
    > makes things more cluttered but I am willing to give it a try. I am
    > happy for meaningful feedback, such as yours was.
    >
    > I've also changed the main page for Mark's column.

    I'm gonna weigh in here - I had a brief look at Wayne's site, and I can
    appreciate why people might perceive it as "cluttered", but it has nothing
    to do with whether links are underlined or not, rather it's to do with the
    basics of page layout and typography. What is clear is that while Wayne
    might be a good photographer, he's not a graphic/web designer.

    Fundamentally, what the site layout lacks is the correct amount "air" around
    text, and poor site layout that lacks the structural signals that users
    expect to see. That said, while I use the term "poor" in referring to some
    aspects, it's not to say his isn't a good site - it has a great deal of
    valuable content.

    A full analysis would take up way too much space, but broadly, the left and
    right columns are an un-structured parade of links - there's just too much
    to take in. The left is the worst - it needs to be broken down into a couple
    of easily understandable sub-groups. Good hierarchical structure draws
    people in deeper, whereas the "flat" structure presented is overwhelming.

    Also, it strikes me that the site needs more of a real magazine structure as
    opposed to a literal collection of articles sorted by category - ie. you can
    have that, but presenting the content with the headline "Articles in the
    category Audio" makes it seem like you're doing a series of database
    searches, which you are, but it can be presented in a less literal manner.
    Just changing the headline to "Audio Articles" and losing the "Articles reco
    rds 1-20 of 28" from the top (it could go at the bottom next to the result
    navigation) would be a good start.

    The centre column is also a bit of a mess. Any photographic site, which is
    fundamentally all about *pictures*, that starts with a paragraph crushed up
    the top that delves immediately into how to make the site more "usable" is
    an immediate admission that the site might be a bit tough to use.

    It should start with a killer pic sitting clear and clean - the IR one at
    the moment is fine, but surrounded by a mix of text sizes and weights
    detracts from its impact.

    My suggestion would be to sit down with a good web designer with a proven
    track record in this kind of site and CMS software, and re-work the
    templates to reflect solid page layout principles, and let them take a fresh
    look at the structure and see if it can't be re-organised in a simpler, more
    accessible style.

    As I said, lots of great content, but the manner in which it's presented
    makes the sheer mass of information seem overwhelming.
    Poxy, Dec 17, 2006
  19. "Wayne J. Cosshall" <> wrote:

    >James McNangle wrote:

    >> 3) Get rid of all the crap!
    >>

    >Define crap?

    Perhaps the clue to the problem with your web site is contained in the line "The
    online magazine and reference site for photography, graphic design, digital art,
    Web design, video, illustration and image creation." Any one of these subjects
    would be quite sufficient for a single web site, but you have them all together,
    all mixed up in a horrendous jumble. And, even worse, this horrendous jumble is
    reproduced on every page. About the only thing I can say in favour of the site
    is that it doesn't sing or dance.

    Consider the page http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=799.

    This is titled "A day of shooting with my Infrared converted Canon 350D". By
    the time someone gets to this page all they want to see is what results you have
    managed to get. But what do they get?

    On the left, a column 160 pixels wide, containing a plague of totally irrelevant
    links. On the right, another column 160 pixels wide, containing another plague
    of equally irrelevant links. In the middle a couple of ads, then an
    introduction, and yet another column 160 pixels wide, containing yet another
    plague of irrelevant links. Below this we finally get to the demonstration
    photos, all 450 pixels wide.

    If you threw out all this rubbish, or sorted it into categories, with the
    material relevant to each category on a separate page, so that this page only
    displayed the actual test photos and your comments on them, you could make the
    pictures much bigger, so that the viewer could really see what you are on about,
    without being distracted by a whole heap of totally irrelevant crap.

    James McNangle
    James McNangle, Dec 18, 2006
  20. James McNangle wrote:

    > Perhaps the clue to the problem with your web site is contained in the line "The
    > online magazine and reference site for photography, graphic design, digital art,
    > Web design, video, illustration and image creation." Any one of these subjects
    > would be quite sufficient for a single web site, but you have them all together,
    > all mixed up in a horrendous jumble. And, even worse, this horrendous jumble is
    > reproduced on every page. About the only thing I can say in favour of the site
    > is that it doesn't sing or dance.
    >
    > Consider the page http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=799.
    >
    > This is titled "A day of shooting with my Infrared converted Canon 350D". By
    > the time someone gets to this page all they want to see is what results you have
    > managed to get. But what do they get?
    >
    > On the left, a column 160 pixels wide, containing a plague of totally irrelevant
    > links. On the right, another column 160 pixels wide, containing another plague
    > of equally irrelevant links. In the middle a couple of ads, then an
    > introduction, and yet another column 160 pixels wide, containing yet another
    > plague of irrelevant links. Below this we finally get to the demonstration
    > photos, all 450 pixels wide.
    >
    > If you threw out all this rubbish, or sorted it into categories, with the
    > material relevant to each category on a separate page, so that this page only
    > displayed the actual test photos and your comments on them, you could make the
    > pictures much bigger, so that the viewer could really see what you are on about,
    > without being distracted by a whole heap of totally irrelevant crap.
    >

    > James McNangle

    Ok, I get your point, though i can't help thinking you really don't need
    to be so rude about it.

    I am considering a redesign of the site and I'll take this onboard.

    Wayne

    --
    Wayne J. Cosshall
    Wayne J. Cosshall, Dec 18, 2006