New foto of my small model ship.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alexander Blokhin, Apr 21, 2009.

  1. Alexander Blokhin, Apr 21, 2009

  2. John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2009

  3. Alexander Blokhin

    Twibil Guest

    Twibil, Apr 21, 2009
  4. Alexander Blokhin

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:51:18 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >bugbear wrote:
    >> bugbear wrote:

    >>> The models look pretty good, although it's hard to tell
    >>> from such poor photographs.

    >> Try these:
    >>
    >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/kdphotos/sets/72157615849683870/
    >> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/burgerbahn/steam.html
    >>

    >The latter set is awesome.
    >
    >Alexander- What is the purpose of your post?

    Alexander is evidently a quite skilled model maker. He's chosen a
    photographic style that evidently, in his opinion, makes the models
    look more like real ships than a sharply focussed photo would. The
    examples "bugbear" furnished are very sharp and clear, but the result
    is that we clearly know we are looking at scale models.

    What purpose does Alexander need? He does good work, he's proud of
    it, and he wants to share his efforts. What more purpose does anyone
    need in sharing photos?

    I really don't understand why people - "bugbear", in this case - feel
    the need to knock what they don't particularly like. Unless Alexander
    asks for a critique and suggested improvements in technique, STFU
    unless you have something positive to say.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Apr 21, 2009
  5. Twibil wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 9:51 am, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >>> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/burgerbahn/steam.html

    >> The latter set is awesome.

    > Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
    > wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
    > toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.
    >
    > See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3438725853/sizes/o/

    That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
    Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 21, 2009
  6. Alexander Blokhin

    Twibil Guest

    On Apr 21, 2:58 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > Twibil wrote:
    > >> The latter set is awesome.

    > > Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
    > > wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
    > > toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.

    > > See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.

    > >http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3438725853/sizes/o/

    > That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
    > Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

    Yup. Exactly. But it's an un-needed holdover from the days when these
    things were toys that ran on cheap track layed on the living-room
    carpet.

    On decent trackwork, both locos and cars will stay on the rails with
    no problems using either scale or very-close-to-scale flanges, and
    since the goal is to make the trains look -and behave- as much like
    the prototype as possible, smaller flanges have increasingly gained
    popularity with scale modelers; at least in the US.

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Apr 21, 2009
  7. Twibil wrote:
    > On Apr 21, 2:58 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >> Twibil wrote:
    >>> Problem with most models of European trains is that they make the
    >>> wheel flanges circa 5 times over-sized, and as a result they look like
    >>> toys even when they're in a well-modeled setting.
    >>> See this photo of an American prototype engine for comparison.
    >>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/3438725853/sizes/o/

    >> That was a detail I overlooked, but once I saw it, that's all I saw.
    >> Was it for the purpose of keeping the little guys on the little tracks?

    > Yup. Exactly. But it's an un-needed holdover from the days when these
    > things were toys that ran on cheap track layed on the living-room
    > carpet.
    >
    > On decent trackwork, both locos and cars will stay on the rails with
    > no problems using either scale or very-close-to-scale flanges, and
    > since the goal is to make the trains look -and behave- as much like
    > the prototype as possible, smaller flanges have increasingly gained
    > popularity with scale modelers; at least in the US.

    So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??
    :)

    Some layouts I've seen with banked curves, smooth gradients, etc. don't
    need the flanges anywhere near that big.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Apr 22, 2009
  8. Alexander Blokhin

    Twibil Guest

    On Apr 21, 5:12 pm, John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > So, is there now a mini-industry that grinds the flanges to near scale??
    > :)

    Close, but no prize: they sell entire wheel-sets, replacement drivers
    for locos, and etcetera.

    ~Pete

    Twibil, Apr 22, 2009