    What do you think of the new BTX form factor that's coming out? As I
    understand it, the only thing compatible between it and the ATX is the power
    supply. A whole new family of motherboards to evolve???

    jeh, Jan 10, 2004

  2. jeh

    Thor Guest

    Yeah, it's very interesting. One of the most radical changes appears to be
    that the board layout is like a mirror opposite of an ATX board with respect
    to the board's orientation within the chassis. It appears from the design
    specs that the board and components will be accessable from the *right* side
    of the case (as observed by the user when facing the front of the case)
    instead of the traditional left side of the case. The primary objective of
    the new form factor appears to attempt to optimize airflow and component
    placement in order to cool multiple components with fewer fans. It appears
    to be very strict on the manufacturers as to where components and connectors
    are allowed to be placed on the board. A further attempt at forcing
    manufacturers to adhere to a tight set of guidelines. We've had ATX for
    about 7 years now. I'm not surprised they have moved to a different
    (hopefully improved) layout. Although I think it will frustrate many people
    because it seems there is no possible way to make hybrid cases to fit ATX or
    BTX boards. The differences are just too pronouced. At least they kept the
    power supply the same.

    More info here: www.formfactors.org

    Thor, Jan 10, 2004

  3. jeh

    jeh Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah, it's very interesting. One of the most radical changes appears to be
    > that the board layout is like a mirror opposite of an ATX board with

    respect
    > to the board's orientation within the chassis. It appears from the design
    > specs that the board and components will be accessable from the *right*

    side
    > of the case (as observed by the user when facing the front of the case)
    > instead of the traditional left side of the case. The primary objective of
    > the new form factor appears to attempt to optimize airflow and component
    > placement in order to cool multiple components with fewer fans. It appears
    > to be very strict on the manufacturers as to where components and

    connectors
    > are allowed to be placed on the board. A further attempt at forcing
    > manufacturers to adhere to a tight set of guidelines. We've had ATX for
    > about 7 years now. I'm not surprised they have moved to a different
    > (hopefully improved) layout. Although I think it will frustrate many

    people
    > because it seems there is no possible way to make hybrid cases to fit ATX

    or
    > BTX boards. The differences are just too pronouced. At least they kept the
    > power supply the same.
    >
    > More info here: www.formfactors.org

    It is only a layout board thing right? Won't things like cpu's, ram sticks,
    peripherals, etc. plug in to the BTX board?

    jeh, Jan 10, 2004
  4. jeh

    V W Wall Guest

    jeh wrote:

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, it's very interesting. One of the most radical changes appears to be
    > > that the board layout is like a mirror opposite of an ATX board with

    > respect
    > > to the board's orientation within the chassis. It appears from the design
    > > specs that the board and components will be accessable from the *right*

    > side
    > > of the case (as observed by the user when facing the front of the case)
    > > instead of the traditional left side of the case. The primary objective of
    > > the new form factor appears to attempt to optimize airflow and component
    > > placement in order to cool multiple components with fewer fans. It appears
    > > to be very strict on the manufacturers as to where components and

    > connectors
    > > are allowed to be placed on the board. A further attempt at forcing
    > > manufacturers to adhere to a tight set of guidelines. We've had ATX for
    > > about 7 years now. I'm not surprised they have moved to a different
    > > (hopefully improved) layout. Although I think it will frustrate many

    > people
    > > because it seems there is no possible way to make hybrid cases to fit ATX

    > or
    > > BTX boards. The differences are just too pronouced. At least they kept the
    > > power supply the same.
    > >
    > > More info here: www.formfactors.org
    > >

    > It is only a layout board thing right? Won't things like cpu's, ram sticks,
    > peripherals, etc. plug in to the BTX board?

    Yes. Heat sink/cooling may need to be modified for best use of the layout.
    There is a spirited discussion of the BTX board on alt.comp.hardware.

    Have a look there.

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Jan 10, 2004
  5. jeh

    Thor Guest

    "jeh" <> wrote in message

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > > Yeah, it's very interesting. One of the most radical changes appears to

    be
    > > that the board layout is like a mirror opposite of an ATX board with

    > respect
    > > to the board's orientation within the chassis. It appears from the

    design
    > > specs that the board and components will be accessable from the *right*

    > side
    > > of the case (as observed by the user when facing the front of the case)
    > > instead of the traditional left side of the case. The primary objective

    of
    > > the new form factor appears to attempt to optimize airflow and component
    > > placement in order to cool multiple components with fewer fans. It

    appears
    > > to be very strict on the manufacturers as to where components and

    > connectors
    > > are allowed to be placed on the board. A further attempt at forcing
    > > manufacturers to adhere to a tight set of guidelines. We've had ATX for
    > > about 7 years now. I'm not surprised they have moved to a different
    > > (hopefully improved) layout. Although I think it will frustrate many

    > people
    > > because it seems there is no possible way to make hybrid cases to fit

    ATX
    > or
    > > BTX boards. The differences are just too pronouced. At least they kept

    the
    > > power supply the same.
    > >
    > > More info here: www.formfactors.org
    > >

    > It is only a layout board thing right? Won't things like cpu's, ram

    sticks,
    > peripherals, etc. plug in to the BTX board?

    Yes. The BTX standard has nothing to do with the individual components. Just
    their placement, board size, mount locations, etc.

    Thor, Jan 11, 2004