New "Fly" 2 DVD Edition

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by TB, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. TB

    TB Guest

    I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while but
    after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the last
    couple of days, I had to break that streak.

    Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation when they
    see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool deleted scenes
    including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
    son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really gory, long scene in which
    a baboon and a cat are merged together and wind up attacking Goldblum's
    character who kills it with a pipe. Also cool from a geek standpoint is the
    segment showing all the different maquettes and props for mostly unused
    designs for the various stages of the "fly." I haven't got around to
    listening to Cronnenberg's complete commentary track yet, but judging from
    the few minutes I did listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's
    usual, informative yet dry commentary.

    Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 5, 2005

  2. TB

    shinner Guest

    "TB" <> wrote in

    > I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while
    > but after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the
    > last couple of days, I had to break that streak.
    >
    > Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation
    > when they see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool
    > deleted scenes including the unused ending where Geen Davis character
    > dreams their unborn son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really
    > gory, long scene in which a baboon and a cat are merged together and
    > wind up attacking Goldblum's character who kills it with a pipe. Also
    > cool from a geek standpoint is the segment showing all the different
    > maquettes and props for mostly unused designs for the various stages
    > of the "fly." I haven't got around to listening to Cronnenberg's
    > complete commentary track yet, but judging from the few minutes I did
    > listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's usual,
    > informative yet dry commentary.
    >
    > Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.

    That was a rant? Sounded more like a rave....

    shinner, Oct 6, 2005

  3. TB

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <qUW0f.176$>,
    "TB" <> wrote:

    > I haven't gone off on a rant about any dvds I've picked up in a while but
    > after watching the new 2 disc dvd of "The Fly" by Cronnenberg the last
    > couple of days, I had to break that streak.
    >
    > Anyone familiar and a fan of this movie is in for a big revelation when they
    > see this special edition dvd. It has some really cool deleted scenes
    > including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
    > son "hatches" as a human butterfly. Plus a really gory, long scene in which
    > a baboon and a cat are merged together and wind up attacking Goldblum's
    > character who kills it with a pipe. Also cool from a geek standpoint is the
    > segment showing all the different maquettes and props for mostly unused
    > designs for the various stages of the "fly." I haven't got around to
    > listening to Cronnenberg's complete commentary track yet, but judging from
    > the few minutes I did listen to when I first watched the movie, it's David's
    > usual, informative yet dry commentary.
    >
    > Well worth the $12 or so this dvd can be had for.
    >
    > T.B.

    I agree. I was pleasently surprised to see they also put out a nice 2
    disc 'Collectors Edition" of The Fly II to boot. I've always enjoyed
    that one, even if most other people didn't..

    Black Locust, Oct 6, 2005
  4. TB

    Si Guest

    TB wrote:
    > It has some really cool deleted scenes
    > including the unused ending where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn
    > son "hatches" as a human butterfly.

    This is strange. I have been convinced for a number of years that I saw
    such a scene at the end of the film on TV once. Having never seen it
    again I thought I was going mad. Is it possible that this scene got
    included in some TV presentations of the film? If it makes any
    difference, it would most likely have been UK TV (definitely not US.)

    Si

    Si, Oct 6, 2005
  5. TB

    Si Guest

    Si wrote:
    > TB wrote:
    >
    >> It has some really cool deleted scenes including the unused ending
    >> where Geen Davis character dreams their unborn son "hatches" as a
    >> human butterfly.

    > This is strange. I have been convinced for a number of years that I saw
    > such a scene at the end of the film on TV once. Having never seen it
    > again I thought I was going mad. Is it possible that this scene got
    > included in some TV presentations of the film? If it makes any
    > difference, it would most likely have been UK TV (definitely not US.)
    >
    > Si

    You know, I'm talking through my waistcoat. That's not the ending I
    thought I saw. I'm getting mixed up with something else. Must be losing
    my marbles...

    Si

    Si, Oct 6, 2005
  6. TB

    TB Guest

    "Black Locust" wrote:

    (snip)

    > I agree. I was pleasently surprised to see they also put out a nice 2
    > disc 'Collectors Edition" of The Fly II to boot. I've always enjoyed
    > that one, even if most other people didn't..

    Yeah, same here. I watched the 2nd disc of that one last night for the extra
    material and while I don't think it was nearly up to the same level of
    content the Cronnenberg movie's dvd has, it was still pretty enjoyable. The
    thing that really caught my attention was some of the designs for the Fly
    craeture in various stages for both movies seemed to be much more intersting
    and unique, even more "fly-like" than what they used.

    Also, imo the Japanese producers of the "Godzilla vs Megaguirus" movie
    totally ripped off the head of the 2nd Fly movies' creature for their giant
    insect monster.

    T.B.

    TB, Oct 6, 2005