New EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens + C-PL?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by DHB, Nov 3, 2006.

  1. DHB

    DHB Guest

    Hoping for a response from somebody that has used this lens on
    a 30D with a C-PL (Circular Plolerizer) filter.

    My concern is that a C-PL will drop about 1.3 stops so the
    combination would be focusing @ an effective f6.3 & that might prove
    to be an unreliable combination. Yes I have considered the f2.8
    version but think the added size & weight of this lens would add
    difficulty as I plan on using it hand-held 90+ % of the time & often
    with a quality C-PL. If I have to go with a heavier lens I could use
    it with a mono-pod but would rather avoid the need to do so.

    Was hoping that the new f4 version would meet my needs better,
    1.7 Lbs. seems a lot easier to deal with than 3.2 Lbs. My 30D is
    always used with it's battery/vertical grip, so this would help a bit
    if I had to opt for the heavier f2.8 version.

    Primary planed use for the lens will be outdoor sporting
    events, some animal photography (birds, squirrels & etc.). Also hope
    to be able to use it for some indoor sporting events (without the
    C-PL) but my main priority is outdoors with the C-PL.

    Thanks in advance to all for any potentially useful advice.
    I'm also open to considering other lenses but would prefer to stay
    with a quality Canon lens. For obvious reasons I am looking for a
    lens with a non-rotating front element.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Nov 3, 2006

  2. "DHB" <> wrote in message
    > Hoping for a response from somebody that has used this lens on
    > a 30D with a C-PL (Circular Plolerizer) filter.
    >
    > My concern is that a C-PL will drop about 1.3 stops so the
    > combination would be focusing @ an effective f6.3 & that might prove
    > to be an unreliable combination. Yes I have considered the f2.8
    > version but think the added size & weight of this lens would add
    > difficulty as I plan on using it hand-held 90+ % of the time & often
    > with a quality C-PL. If I have to go with a heavier lens I could use
    > it with a mono-pod but would rather avoid the need to do so.

    The CPL will only change the brightness of the image forming light - it will
    not alter the angular spread of the light, and it is largely this (the
    geometry) which controls how the AF sensors function. True, they do work
    better in bright light, but they need a good spread for focusing acuity.
    (1.3 stops seems a little optimistic to me, but polarising film &
    quarter-wave plates could have got better since I measured them.)
    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    Malcolm Stewart, Nov 3, 2006

  3. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:58:10 -0000, "Malcolm Stewart"
    <> wrote:

    >The CPL will only change the brightness of the image forming light - it will
    >not alter the angular spread of the light, and it is largely this (the
    >geometry) which controls how the AF sensors function. True, they do work
    >better in bright light, but they need a good spread for focusing acuity.
    >(1.3 stops seems a little optimistic to me, but polarising film &
    >quarter-wave plates could have got better since I measured them.)
    >--
    >M Stewart
    >Milton Keynes, UK

    M Stewart,
    Thank you for your prompt reply to my post. If I
    understand you correctly, you don't believe this combination should
    pose a focusing problem. In the Northeastern part of the US where I
    live the weather changes fairly rapidly & mixed days of sunshine &
    overcast sky's are common. On sunny days I suspect there should be
    enough contrast to get reliable focus from a f4 lens, C-PL & my 30D,
    it's the overcast days/times that concern me most.

    Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
    know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.
    You don't have to have experience with Canon's new EF 70-300 f4 L IS
    USM lens but that would be a definite plus because it's exactly what I
    hope to be using if it's going to work well with my 30D & a C-PL.

    Thanks again.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Nov 3, 2006
  4. DHB

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > DHB wrote:
    >
    > Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
    > know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.

    I just checked a couple of combinations for you ...

    * Rebel XTi with 300 f/4 L and C-PL works fine
    * Rebel XTi with 400 f/5.6 and C-PL works fine

    So even with the f/5.6 lens and a pol the AF works.

    The 30D should have similar or better AF than the Rebel.

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Nov 3, 2006
  5. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On 3 Nov 2006 13:45:30 -0800, "Bill Hilton" <>
    wrote:

    >> DHB wrote:
    >>
    >> Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
    >> know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.

    >I just checked a couple of combinations for you ...
    >
    >* Rebel XTi with 300 f/4 L and C-PL works fine
    >* Rebel XTi with 400 f/5.6 and C-PL works fine
    >
    >So even with the f/5.6 lens and a pol the AF works.
    >
    >The 30D should have similar or better AF than the Rebel.
    >
    >Bill

    Bill,
    Thanks, for the effort it's reassuring. Actually this
    will be my 1st "L" glass lens & for me & it's a significant investment
    but it seems like a good match for my 30D & should get a lot of use.

    If you don't mind, how do you like the performance of your 300
    f4 L? I had considered this because I like fixed focal length lenses
    over zooms but this zoom range in an L series lens with IS seems to be
    a far more versatile choice.

    I have the Canon's EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM which works
    quite well considering it's price & zoom range but it does not have:

    <1> A non-rotating from element.
    <2> Full Time MF override.
    <3> A fixed f stop across it's zoom range.
    <4> Weather sealing.

    Aside from these 4 problems I have been quite pleased with the
    lens for many uses & plan to keep it even if I get the EF 70-200 f4 L
    IS USM. It even works quite well with my older 300D but sometimes
    hunts a bit @ 300mm when I am trying to photograph birds or squirrels
    up in the trees. Because of the rotating front element during focus,
    I have not tried it with a C-PL but think I will try it just to seen
    how the focus is effected by the addition of a C-PL both on my 300D &
    30D.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Nov 3, 2006
  6. DHB

    Bill Guest

    "DHB" <> wrote in message

    > Anybody else using an f4 lens & a C-PL on a 30D who can let me
    > know how well this combination works, would be greatly appreciated.
    > You don't have to have experience with Canon's new EF 70-300 f4 L IS
    > USM lens but that would be a definite plus because it's exactly what
    > hope to be using if it's going to work well with my 30D & a C-PL.

    I used a Hoya circular polarizer on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L on a Rebel
    XT regularly without any issues. The combo also worked well on
    previous film bodies and a friends 20D. It also works well on lenses
    that have a smaller aperture at the long end of the zoom range, like
    the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lense.

    Don't worry about autofocus, it won't have an appreciable effect. It
    will darken the image, and you'll have to deal with slower shutter
    speeds, larger apertures, or higher ISO settings.

    Bill, Nov 3, 2006
  7. DHB

    DHB Guest

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:26:53 -0500, "Bill" <> wrote:

    >I used a Hoya circular polarizer on the Canon 70-200 f/4 L on a Rebel
    >XT regularly without any issues. The combo also worked well on
    >previous film bodies and a friends 20D. It also works well on lenses
    >that have a smaller aperture at the long end of the zoom range, like
    >the 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 lense.

    Thanks for sharing your personal experience & that of a friend's 20D
    with me, it's reassuring.

    >Don't worry about autofocus, it won't have an appreciable effect. It
    >will darken the image, and you'll have to deal with slower shutter
    >speeds, larger apertures, or higher ISO settings.

    These are givens I understood & can live with & work around. My
    primary concern was *if* it would retain good focus speed & accuracy
    with a quality C-PL. Based on what you have shared, it seems that it
    should not be adversely effected under outdoor situations where I
    would most often be using it with a C-PL.

    Actually, I tend to prefer a rather shallow DOF & use Neat Image NR
    where needed when forced to work with high ISO speeds in order to
    retain fast enough shutter speeds. So this part I expected & am ready
    to deal with.

    Thanks again, now I just need to check a few forums for user
    feedback about this new lens & if all sounds good than I guess I know
    what Santa (me) will be bringing me a bit early.

    Respectfully, DHB

    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Nov 4, 2006