    but I can always hear the sound from whatever TV channel the TV is set
    to (in addition to the audio from the DVD). I would appreciate any
    advice about what I am doing wrong in the setup to cause this problem.

    Laurel, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Laurel

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Laurel" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I finally purchased a DVD player (JVC XV-N40BK). My TV is an 11-year
    > old Magnavox (RP 1945). I have them hooked up and the DVD does play,
    > but I can always hear the sound from whatever TV channel the TV is set
    > to (in addition to the audio from the DVD). I would appreciate any
    > advice about what I am doing wrong in the setup to cause this problem.

    Without Knowing exactly how the player is connected to the TV, I don't know
    how this can be answered.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Laurel

    Laurel Guest

    The player is connected using the cable that came with it (yellow plug
    for composite video; red & white ones for audio). My TV is not stereo,
    though, so I only used the red plug in both the TV and the DVD player.
    (I also tried a cable I have for my VCR which only has one audio
    plug.) The manual for the DVD had a note saying: "If your TV has a
    monaural audio input instead of stereo, you need to use an optional
    audio cable which converts stereo audio output to monaural." Before I
    set up the DVD for the first time I went to Radio Shack but the guy
    told me I didn't need to buy anything because I could just use one of
    the audio plugs from the cable I had. I'm guessing now that he gave me
    bad advice although what he thought I asked for was just a small
    adapter to go from stereo to mono.

    Laurel, Jan 11, 2004
  4. (Laurel) wrote in

    > The player is connected using the cable that came with it (yellow
    > plug for composite video; red & white ones for audio). My TV is
    > not stereo, though, so I only used the red plug in both the TV and
    > the DVD player. (I also tried a cable I have for my VCR which only
    > has one audio plug.) The manual for the DVD had a note saying: "If
    > your TV has a monaural audio input instead of stereo, you need to
    > use an optional audio cable which converts stereo audio output to
    > monaural." Before I set up the DVD for the first time I went to
    > Radio Shack but the guy told me I didn't need to buy anything
    > because I could just use one of the audio plugs from the cable I
    > had. I'm guessing now that he gave me bad advice although what he
    > thought I asked for was just a small adapter to go from stereo to
    > mono.
    >
    > "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    >> "Laurel" <> wrote in message
    >> > I finally purchased a DVD player (JVC XV-N40BK). My TV is an
    >> > 11-year old Magnavox (RP 1945). I have them hooked up and the
    >> > DVD does play, but I can always hear the sound from whatever TV
    >> > channel the TV is set to (in addition to the audio from the
    >> > DVD). I would appreciate any advice about what I am doing wrong
    >> > in the setup to cause this problem.

    >> Without Knowing exactly how the player is connected to the TV, I
    >> don't know how this can be answered.
    >>
    >> RichC

    Does your TV have a menu with some mysterious audio option to
    suppress the off-the-air audio? Or a small switch on the back?

    This is a shot in the dark, of course...

    It sounds to me like you've done it right.

    I would say that putting a y-connector on the player to combine the
    left & right audio outputs might be a good idea, so that you won't
    go silent when a DVD happens to have a passage that is silent on the
    audio channel you're using :)

    It's OK to combine audio this way, but the video (yellow) might not
    work right if you split it to two TVs or some such (it's a matter of
    output vs input impedances; video input is a heavier load).

    Gino

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
    Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com

    Gene E. Bloch, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Laurel

    Bur Guest

    "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message news:<Xns946E91066BC25Astrolabe@63.240.76.16>...
    > (Laurel) wrote in

    > I would say that putting a y-connector on the player to combine the
    > left & right audio outputs might be a good idea, so that you won't
    > go silent when a DVD happens to have a passage that is silent on the
    > audio channel you're using :)

    This is perfectly acceptable for connecting 1 output to 2 inputs but
    may work poorly for connecting 2 outputs to 1 input. Instead, use 2
    resistors (5K Ohm or so should work ok) one in each output to allow
    the resultant to be an actual sum of the signals. I have built such a
    cable starting with 3 really cheap (50 cents apiece) RCA cables. Cut
    the ends off one side of each cable, separate the shields, strip the
    centers, and wire all shields together. Solder a resistor to the
    center of each output then tie the other ends of both resistors to the
    center wire of the input (TV set side) and solder. Exercise your
    artistic abilities with electrical tape (a few inches will work, but
    using a whole roll is lots of fun) and plug in the cables. This will
    combine the L and R audio into a mono channel with L + R which is what
    you want. Unfortunately this probably WON'T fix the original
    problem. One thing to try is to make sure the input cable is plugged
    all the way into the audio connector to make sure if there is some
    type of automatic switch it is activated.

    Bur, Jan 13, 2004
  6. (Bur) wrote in

    > "Gene E. Bloch" <hamburger@NOT_SPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    >> (Laurel) wrote in

    >> I would say that putting a y-connector on the player to combine
    >> the left & right audio outputs might be a good idea, so that you
    >> won't go silent when a DVD happens to have a passage that is
    >> silent on the audio channel you're using :)
    >>

    > This is perfectly acceptable for connecting 1 output to 2 inputs
    > but may work poorly for connecting 2 outputs to 1 input. Instead,
    > use 2 resistors (5K Ohm or so should work ok) one in each output
    > to allow the resultant to be an actual sum of the signals. I have
    > built such a cable starting with 3 really cheap (50 cents apiece)
    > RCA cables. Cut the ends off one side of each cable, separate the
    > shields, strip the centers, and wire all shields together.
    > Solder a resistor to the center of each output then tie the other
    > ends of both resistors to the center wire of the input (TV set
    > side) and solder. Exercise your artistic abilities with
    > electrical tape (a few inches will work, but using a whole roll is
    > lots of fun) and plug in the cables. This will combine the L and
    > R audio into a mono channel with L + R which is what you want.
    > Unfortunately this probably WON'T fix the original problem. One
    > thing to try is to make sure the input cable is plugged all the
    > way into the audio connector to make sure if there is some type of
    > automatic switch it is activated.

    You are, of course, correct, but I've never had a problem doing it
    the cheap way. Or if I had a problem, I never detected it :)

    Maybe the same thing could be done by surgery on a single Y adapter
    - just put the resistors in-line in the center wire of each branch
    of the Y.

    Am I allowed to use duct tape instead? It fits my aesthetic better
    :)

    Gino

    Gene E. Bloch, Jan 13, 2004