new dvd of BBC show NOT by Warner Brothers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. Waterperson77

    Bratboy Guest

    >> yes. The big release is episodes of "The Goodies" being released on dvd
    >> in the
    >> U.S.
    >>
    >> And it is a big release (at least as big as any of the other BBC shows
    >> aired
    >> on PBS), since it was very popular in the U.S. on PBS stations (as far as
    >> the
    >> popularity of PBS shows go). when it was aired on PBS stations all across
    >> the
    >> U.S.

    I'll be honest. I love britcom and try to see/buy as much of it as I can get
    my grubby mits on. That said I have never, untill this thread, even heard
    of "The Goodies" let alone seen an episode. Maybe Denver PBS just didnt
    think was popular enough to show or something.

    Bratboy, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote:

    > About the only thing I recall being distributed by another
    > channel is the A&E discs of like Monty Python Flying Circus
    > and Avengers type discs & I dont have any to check but
    > prolly A&E is sub distro of WB too.

    No, A&E has no corporate affiliation with Warner. And your
    comment underscores what I said about people assuming that
    "British" = "BBC". While MPFC aired on the Beeb, THE AVENGERS
    was an ITV show, as were (in general) the various other
    action/adventure dramas of the same period, like THE SAINT,
    DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT, THE CHAMPIONS, and so forth.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 2, 2004

  3. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote:

    >> A lot of people assume that if a show is British, it's
    >> from the BBC, but there are other networks over there.

    > true. But this was definitely a BBC show. All of the
    > episodes that aired here all said "BBC" on the end credits.

    OK, fine. But you're still assuming that because the BBC
    aired the show originally, that they own the rights to it.

    First off, according to the IMDb, THE GOODIES was a co-prod
    between the BBC and London Weekend Television. Depending
    on how the contracts read, it's a good bet that LWT actually
    owns the series, rather than the Beeb.

    To take a similar American example, there's HBO and HBO Home
    Video. Everyone assumes that any show that airs on HBO will
    be released by HBO HV, but while that seems to be mostly true,
    it's not completely true. THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW Season 1 was
    released by Columbia, and Universal will be releasing Seasons
    1&2 of DREAM ON around the end of the year.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 2, 2004
  4. >it's a good bet that LWT actually
    >owns the series, rather than the Beeb.

    then the credits on the show should have said "copyright London Weekend
    Television" if that is so. But they don't.

    The credits on the show itself DOES say "copyright BBC".

    Therefore, it is a BBC show.

    Waterperson77, Jul 2, 2004
  5. >To take a similar American example, there's HBO and HBO Home
    >Video. Everyone assumes that any show that airs on HBO will
    >be released by HBO HV, but while that seems to be mostly true,
    >it's not completely true. THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW Season 1 was

    >released by Columbia, and

    >niversal will be releasing Seasons
    >1&2 of DREAM ON around the end of th

    true. But "Larry Sanders Show" says "copyright Columbia" and Dream On says
    "copyright Universal" proving those were not HBO productions, but Columbia and
    Universal productions.

    "The Goodies" says "copyright BBC" proving that it was a BBC production

    and not some other company like ITV.

    Waterperson77, Jul 2, 2004
  6. (jayembee) writes:
    >"Bratboy" <> wrote:
    >
    >> About the only thing I recall being distributed by another
    >> channel is the A&E discs of like Monty Python Flying Circus
    >> and Avengers type discs & I dont have any to check but
    >> prolly A&E is sub distro of WB too.

    >No, A&E has no corporate affiliation with Warner. And your
    >comment underscores what I said about people assuming that
    >"British" = "BBC". While MPFC aired on the Beeb, THE AVENGERS
    >was an ITV show, as were (in general) the various other
    >action/adventure dramas of the same period, like THE SAINT,
    >DANGER MAN/SECRET AGENT, THE CHAMPIONS, and so forth

    So, speaking of British Television shows of that era, I have
    memories of one but cannot remember the title. It was much
    like the Avengers in plot and the opening sequence included a
    bit with the male protagonist feeding his breakfast egg to his
    dog (IIRC) and a catchy opening tune (kinda big benish).

    Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

    scott

    Scott Lurndal, Jul 2, 2004
  7. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    (Waterperson77) wrote:

    > true. But "Larry Sanders Show" says "copyright Columbia"
    > and Dream On says "copyright Universal" proving those
    > were not HBO productions, but Columbia and Universal
    > productions.
    >
    > "The Goodies" says "copyright BBC" proving that it was a
    > BBC production and not some other company like ITV.

    But that still doesn't mean that the BBC *owns* it. Just
    that, at the time it was produced, they had the copyright.

    The title cards for IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE says that it's
    copyrighted by RKO, but RKO never actually owned the film
    outright. It was owned by Liberty Films, Frank Capra's
    company. That's why Republic later acquired the film, and
    it's currently available from Artisan rather than Warner
    (who owns the RKO catalog).

    Copyright does not necessarily determine ownership.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jul 2, 2004
  8. Waterperson77

    Ross Guest

    > > "The Goodies" says "copyright BBC" proving that it was a
    > > BBC production and not some other company like ITV.

    Series 1-8 were done by the BBC. The show moved to LWT for series 9,
    but only lasted 1 series. 6 episodes were released by the BBC a while
    ago on 2 tapes, and 4 by LWT on 1 tape. Recently a 2 disk PAL
    (region0) DVD set was released with 8 episodes on it.

    The video company listed as releasing this new NTSC DVD also released
    an NTSC verison of the 1st BBC video, containing 3 episodes:

    2-x Kitten Kong (Montreaux 72)
    5-06 Scatty Safari
    7-3 Scoutrageous

    The show has not been repeated on terrestrial TV in the UK, but
    Australia seemed to get regular showings (until a couple of years ago
    at least)

    More info at:

    http://www.goodiesruleok.com

    PAL DVD 60% off now
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...088/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl/026-2480668-2555651

    Episode list:

    ---BBC---
    SERIES 1

    1-1 Tower Of London
    1-2 Snooze
    1-3 Give Police A Chance
    1-4 Caught In The Act
    1-5 The Greenies
    1-6 Cecily
    1-7 Radio Goodies

    SERIES 2

    2-01 Scotland
    2-02 The Commonwealth Games
    2-03 Pollution
    2-04 The Lost Tribe
    2-05 The Music Lovers
    2-06 Culture For The Masses
    2-07 Kitten Kong
    2-08 Wicked Waltzing
    2-09 Fresh Farm Food
    2-10 Womans Lib
    2-11 Gender Education
    2-12 Charity Bounce
    2-13 The Baddies

    2-x Kitten Kong (Montreaux 72)
    2-x A Collection Of Goodies

    SERIES 3

    3-1 The New Office
    3-2 Hunting Pink
    3-3 Winter Olympics
    3-4 That Old Black Magic
    3-5 For Those In Peril On The Sea
    3-6 Way Outward Bound

    3-x Superstar

    SERIES 4

    4-1 Camelot
    4-2 Invasion Of The Moon Creatures
    4-3 Hospital For Hire
    4-4 The Goodies And The Beanstalk
    4-5 The Stone Age
    4-6 Goodies In The Nick
    4 7 The Race

    SERIES 5

    5-01 Movies
    5-02 Clown Virus
    5-03 Chubbie Chumps
    5-04 Wacky Wales
    5-05 Frankenfido
    5-06 Scatty Safari
    5-07 Kung Fu Kapers
    5-08 Lighthouse Keeping loonies
    5-09 Rome Antics
    5-10 Cunning Stunts
    5-11 South Africa
    5-12 Bunfight At The OK Tearooms
    5-13 The End

    5-x Goodies Rule OK

    SERIES 6

    6-1 Lips Or Almighty Cod
    6-2 Hype Pressure
    6-3 Daylight Robbery On The Orient Express
    6-4 Black And White Beauty
    6-5 It Might As Well Be String
    6-6 2001 And A Bit
    6-7 The Goodies Almost Live