new dvd of BBC show NOT by Warner Brothers

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004.

  1. aa few years ago, some people in this newsgroup said that in the U.S., all new
    dvd releases of BBC shows (both old and new) would be released only through
    Warner Brothers.

    One of my favorite old BBC shows is finally being released on DVD in the U.S.,
    but it is NOT being released by Warner Brothers.

    It IS being released by some no-name company.

    Even "Madacy" and "Rhino" are both more major names (brands) than this no-name
    company.

    which makes me expect a possibly bad transfer.

    When even Madacy is WAY more of a major brand than this no-name company.

    I knew the name, but I forgot it, since no one has ever heard of it before.

    So there you have it, a new dvd release of a BBC show that is NOT being
    released by Warner Brothers and has never yet been released by Warner Brothers.

    (despite the false claims of people in this newsgroup who said that all BBC
    shows are now being released only through Warner Brothers in the U.S.)

    and no, I did NOT dream this. I have been wide awake.

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004

  2. Waterperson77

    Jay G Guest

    Waterperson77 <> wrote:
    > One of my favorite old BBC shows is finally being released on DVD
    > in the U.S., but it is NOT being released by Warner Brothers.
    >
    > It IS being released by some no-name company.

    What is the name of the show, and what is the name of the
    company releasing it?

    -Jay

    Jay G, Jun 30, 2004

  3. Waterperson77

    jayembee Guest

    says...

    > aa few years ago, some people in this newsgroup said that in the U.S.,
    > all new dvd releases of BBC shows (both old and new) would be released
    > only through Warner Brothers.

    While it's possibly true that someone said that, it's not -- and never
    has been -- true. What's true is that Warner Bros. is now the sole US
    distributor of titles from BBC Video. This is not the same as saying
    that they are the sole distributor of all BBC shows. There have been
    other labels releasing BBC shows all along, most notably Acorn Media.

    The other question is whether the show you're talking about -- you
    mention forgetting the name of the company releasing it, but if you
    tell us the name of the series, we can find out what the company is
    -- is actually a BBC series. A lot of people assume that if a show
    is British, it's from the BBC, but there are other networks over there.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 30, 2004
  4. Waterperson77

    Bratboy Guest

    well the main BBC comedy that was just released was "To the Manor Born"
    staring Penelope Keith. Is that the set your refeering to?
    Just to be safe I just checked my BritCom collection all the cases say the
    same thing if the WB logo is on it and thats that the Disc is from BBC Video
    and that WB is just distributer for USA/Canada. This includes:
    Ab Fab, Seasons 1-5 plus special
    AYBS, Both sets 1-7 & 8-14
    Allo Allo Season 1
    Complete Black Adder
    Hitchikers Guide
    Benny Hill
    To the Manor Born
    all 4 French & Saunder disc's
    Faulty Towers collection

    About the only thing I recall being distributed by another channel is the
    A&E discs of like Monty Python Flying Circus and Avengers type discs & I
    dont have any to check but prolly A&E is sub distro of WB too. Only other
    Euro lable I can even recal is Canal4 (think they put out the origonal QaF)
    and at least one of the Eddie Izzard concerts I have.

    Bratboy, Jun 30, 2004
  5. >What is the name of the show, and what is the name of the
    >company releasing it?

    It was defrijnitely a BBC tv serries as that's what it said on the end credits
    when it used to be on tv here in the U.S. (although back then, it was
    distributes on tv in the U.S, by Time Life Television).

    The show is "The Goodies" and instead of being released by Warner Brothers , it
    is being released in the U.S. by the dvd company known as

    "Jef Films, Inc."

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  6. > A lot of people assume that if a show
    >is British, it's from the BBC, but there are other networks over there.

    true. But this was definitely a BBC show. All of the episodes that aired here
    all said "BBC" on the end credits.

    "The Goodies" being released by the dvd company "Jef Films, Inc."

    I would dare to say that even Madacy is more of a well known major brand name
    than "Jef Films, Inc."

    which is what has me worried.

    But then again, maybe I should give "Jef Films, Inc." a chance since they seem
    to be new.

    I am glad that the show is finally coming out on dvd here. And as long as
    the transfer is good, and the service good (just in case there's some defective
    discs), then I would probably be satisfied.

    by the way,to all other fans of "The Goodies", thanks to the internet, I did
    find out that there was more episodes of "The Goodies" produced and aired in
    the UK than ever aired in the U.S.

    Both older episodes that never aired in the U.S. and newer episodes that never
    aired in the U.S.

    The newer episodes included BBC episodes that never yet aired in the U.S. and
    even at least a season that was not by the BBC.

    However, I think that all of the episodes on the dvd are BBC episoides, which
    are the ones I'm currently interested in, anyways, as that's the version that
    aired here that got me hooked on the show in the first place.

    although I hope that all existing episodes of it are eventually releeased here,
    both the BBC ones and the ones not by the BBC.

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  7. On 30 Jun 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:

    > It was defrijnitely a BBC tv serries as that's what it said on the end credits
    > when it used to be on tv here in the U.S. (although back then, it was
    > distributes on tv in the U.S, by Time Life Television).
    >
    > The show is "The Goodies" and instead of being released by Warner Brothers , it
    > is being released in the U.S. by the dvd company known as
    >
    > "Jef Films, Inc."

    I just checked my UK pre-records of The Goodies, and they're definitely
    BBC releases. Maybe because they're not currently popular, or don't have a
    well-established U.S. cult, Jef was able to snag the rights from BBC
    instead of WB? The old Time-Life distribution indicates that they could
    probably get their hands on it if they wanted to.

    swac
    Or maybe WB is just worried about an outbreak of Ecky Thump...

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 30, 2004
  8. >well the main BBC comedy that was just released was "To the Manor Born"
    >staring Penelope Keith. Is that the set your refeering to?

    nope. It's "The Goodies" being released by the major well-known dvd company
    "Jef Films, Inc."

    seriously, I have never heard of the dvd company "Jef Films, Inc." until I
    found out that this dvd is coming out.

    and I doubt that anyone else has, either.

    Well, I might give them a chance, depending on certain stuff.

    one of my favorite kines (lyrics) from the show:

    "They called him Wild Bill Oddie".

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  9. >The Canadian Acorn Media probably put out as much, if not more, of BBC
    >before Warner got the contract, and still ties for first--

    try the dvd company "Jef Films, Inc." instead.

    That's the company that's releasing my favorite BBC show here in the U.S.

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  10. some bad news to fans of "The Goodies".

    If Amazon.com is correct, the U.S. dvd release of "The Goodies" runs only about
    86 minutes, which means only three episodes on the disc at the most.

    while the UK dvd release (by a different dvd company) has eight episodes on it.

    Of course, it's possible that Amazon goofed up, but I doubt it.

    But of course, UK discs don't work in U.S. players because of region coding and
    even if they did, don'yt work on U.S. tv sets since the UK discs are pal tv
    format and U.S. tv sets are ntsc tv format.

    Unless your dvd player is both region free and automatically converts pal to
    ntsc (both of which are uncommon in U.S. dvd players and U.S. tv sets).

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  11. Waterperson77

    Bratboy Guest

    humm, maybe one of these other companies might put out "Mulberry" for me
    then. It was an odd little dark comedy.

    Bratboy, Jun 30, 2004
  12. jayembee wrote:

    > It's time to play "Let's make look like
    > a complete idiot for intentionally trying to make up this week's
    > 'controversial thread' as a vaudville act, not getting his damn
    > facts straight, and just not being smart enough for the room"--
    > Today's attempt: Will waterperson77 step up and sign in please?...
    > What do you have for us today?:
    >
    >>aa few years ago, some people in this newsgroup said that in the U.S.,
    >>all new dvd releases of BBC shows (both old and new) would be released
    >>only through Warner Brothers.

    > While it's possibly true that someone said that, it's not -- and never
    > has been -- true. What's true is that Warner Bros. is now the sole US
    > distributor of titles from BBC Video. This is not the same as saying
    > that they are the sole distributor of all BBC shows. There have been
    > other labels releasing BBC shows all along, most notably Acorn Media.

    The Canadian Acorn Media probably put out as much, if not more, of BBC
    before Warner got the contract, and still ties for first--
    Brother Cadfael, Poirot, and may we recommend the current "Irish R.M."?

    Warner is only the distributing message-boy for whatever BBC
    Entertainment decides to put on disk itself as a production arm, and
    they can't be everywhere. (Basically, if you see that darn "One wants
    one's BBC America" promo stuck on the menu one more time, it's
    BBC-produced.)
    While Acorn, OTOH, can track down its own titles, and usually picks the
    minor series that slip through the cracks.

    > The other question is whether the show you're talking about -- you
    > mention forgetting the name of the company releasing it, but if you
    > tell us the name of the series, we can find out what the company is
    > -- is actually a BBC series. A lot of people assume that if a show
    > is British, it's from the BBC, but there are other networks over there.

    While Warner is under contract with BBC, the other houses, along with
    Acorn and A&E, are free to pick up Thames, LWT and Granada--
    A&E's been the best at picking up classic miniseries, not to mention all
    of "Jeeves & Wooster".
    (Monty Python, by this point, was owned by the Pythons' production
    company, and Avengers and Prisoner came out of A&E's ownership of the
    ITC catalog.)

    Derek Janssen (serious, though--"Irish RM"'s a hoot)

    Derek Janssen, Jun 30, 2004
  13. on the other hand, it's good that "The Goodies" is coming out at all on dvd in
    the U.S.

    even if it is only two or three episodes per disc.

    Better than none.

    Although I would have preferred season sets.

    Waterperson77, Jun 30, 2004
  14. On 30 Jun 2004, Waterperson77 wrote:

    > Unless your dvd player is both region free and automatically converts pal to
    > ntsc (both of which are uncommon in U.S. dvd players and U.S. tv sets).

    Unless you happen to buy a player at an obscure little retailer called
    Wal-Mart.

    swac

    Stephen Cooke, Jun 30, 2004
  15. Waterperson77 wrote:
    > and no, I did NOT dream this. I have been wide awake.

    How about saying what the show is, at least? Eh?

    --

    "If you examined a hundred people who had lost their faith in
    Christianity, I wonder how many of them would turn out to have reasoned

    --C.S. Lewis

    Grand Inquisitor, Jul 1, 2004

  16. >Yes, yes, but what's the name of the COMPANY??

    I just told you. The name of the COMPANY is

    "Jef Films, Inc."

    Waterperson77, Jul 1, 2004
  17. Waterperson77 wrote:

    >>The Canadian Acorn Media probably put out as much, if not more, of BBC
    >>before Warner got the contract, and still ties for first--

    > try the dvd company "Jef Films, Inc." instead.
    >
    > That's the company that's releasing my favorite BBC show here in the U.S.

    ....Yes, yes, but what's the name of the COMPANY??

    Derek Janssen (oh, he's like a dog with his favorite chew-toy, sometimes)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 1, 2004
  18. >ut you still haven't made it clear what exactly they've done--

    yes I did.

    >Did they DO anything, was there some big release we're all supposed to
    >notice..

    yes. The big release is episodes of "The Goodies" being released on dvd in the
    U.S.

    And it is a big release (at least as big as any of the other BBC shows aired
    on PBS), since it was very popular in the U.S. on PBS stations (as far as the
    popularity of PBS shows go). when it was aired on PBS stations all across the
    U.S.

    And it's a big popular title in the UK also, being a BBC show.

    Waterperson77, Jul 1, 2004
  19. Waterperson77 wrote:

    >>Yes, yes, but what's the name of the COMPANY??

    > I just told you. The name of the COMPANY is
    >
    > "Jef Films, Inc."

    Now, look--You've told us enough times all about this Jiffy Films, or
    whoever, but you still haven't made it clear what exactly they've done--
    Did they DO anything, was there some big release we're all supposed to
    notice...You just haven't made the point clear enough!

    Derek Janssen (heheh...I could do this all day till I get bored)

    Derek Janssen, Jul 1, 2004
  20. Waterperson77 wrote:

    >>ut you still haven't made it clear what exactly they've done--

    > yes I did.
    >
    >>Did they DO anything, was there some big release we're all supposed to
    >>notice..

    > yes. The big release is episodes of "The Goodies" being released on dvd in the
    > U.S.
    >
    > And it is a big release (at least as big as any of the other BBC shows aired
    > on PBS), since it was very popular in the U.S. on PBS stations (as far as the
    > popularity of PBS shows go). when it was aired on PBS stations all across the
    > U.S.
    >
    > And it's a big popular title in the UK also, being a BBC show.

    Okay, okay--
    Now, if someone would just release it. <sigh>

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jul 1, 2004