New DVD drive, frustrations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    OK.

    Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    updates.

    Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
    tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

    Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

    Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
    Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
    with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
    dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
    when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
    short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
    disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
    can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
    InCD 4 works better?

    Fortunately I bought some beer.

    GraB, Aug 20, 2004

  2. GraB

    cowboyz Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    > OK.
    >
    > Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    > v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    > wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    > software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    > way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    > online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    > updates.

    Nero 5.5 is the only burning program I use.

    > Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    > but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    > according to Sonic. I had never come across that before!

    I didn't realise this and can't see any real reason why it is so but if you
    say so.

    >Everytime I
    > tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

    How long did you leave it before deciding it had locked up? Nero and video
    files have a habit of "pretending" to lock up. What disc mode are we
    talking about here?

    > Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    > truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    > to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

    Nero 5.5 supports long filenames. If the disc is set to ISO level 2 then
    it has a max of 31 characters. Below that you can relax the ISO
    restrictions and allow pathdepths more than 8 directories and allow 255
    characters in a path.

    > Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.

    Packet writing software is a pain in the arse. I used it for about 3.4
    seconds when I got my first 2x CDR. Threw it away and haven't had it
    installed since so I can't comment on this.

    > Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
    > with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
    > dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
    > when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
    > short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
    > disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
    > can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
    > InCD 4 works better?
    >

    > Fortunately I bought some beer.

    So whats your problem?

    cowboyz, Aug 20, 2004

  3. GraB

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >OK.
    >
    >Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >updates.
    >
    >Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    >but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    >according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
    >tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
    >
    >Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    >truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    >to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.
    >
    >Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
    >Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
    >with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
    >dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
    >when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
    >short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
    >disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
    >can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
    >InCD 4 works better?
    >
    >Fortunately I bought some beer.

    NTI I think has the best long file name support.

    http://www.ntius.com/default.asp

    Karen Parker, Aug 20, 2004
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:21:46 +1200, Karen Parker
    < wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >>OK.
    >>
    >>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >>updates.
    >>
    >>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    >>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    >>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
    >>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
    >>
    >>Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    >>truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    >>to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.
    >>
    >>Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
    >>Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
    >>with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
    >>dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
    >>when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
    >>short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
    >>disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
    >>can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
    >>InCD 4 works better?
    >>
    >>Fortunately I bought some beer.

    >NTI I think has the best long file name support.
    >
    >http://www.ntius.com/default.asp

    Thankx sweety. I will have a look at it. How long have you been in
    xxx?

    GraB, Aug 20, 2004
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:14:34 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >> OK.
    >>
    >> Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >> v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >> wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >> software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >> way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >> online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >> updates.

    >Nero 5.5 is the only burning program I use.
    >

    >> Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    >> but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    >> according to Sonic. I had never come across that before!

    >I didn't realise this and can't see any real reason why it is so but if you
    >say so.

    I tried a disc with a demo version of Nero 6, recording data in two
    sessions and had no trouble accessing any of the files. So much for
    Sonic's claim that 98 can't handle it.

    There is no doubt that Ahead do the best software for general CD / DVD
    writing.

    >>Everytime I
    >> tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

    >How long did you leave it before deciding it had locked up? Nero and video
    >files have a habit of "pretending" to lock up. What disc mode are we
    >talking about here?

    Default mode. I gave it a few minutes, but I haven't been able to
    access that disc since. Nero had a go at formatting it but gave a
    write error message.

    >> Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    >> truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    >> to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

    >Nero 5.5 supports long filenames. If the disc is set to ISO level 2 then
    >it has a max of 31 characters. Below that you can relax the ISO
    >restrictions and allow pathdepths more than 8 directories and allow 255
    >characters in a path.

    I will have another go later. Had a look at the different settings.
    It doesn't have to be compatible with DOS or Win3.1 so the setting you
    mention will be fine.

    >> Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.

    >Packet writing software is a pain in the arse. I used it for about 3.4
    >seconds when I got my first 2x CDR. Threw it away and haven't had it
    >installed since so I can't comment on this.

    I had no trouble whatsoever with InCD 3 with the Ricoh CD writer.
    Found it handy at times to be able to chuck some files onto a disc
    without opening a writing program.

    >> Fortunately I bought some beer.

    >So whats your problem?

    It went away.

    GraB, Aug 20, 2004
  6. GraB

    Kiwi Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >OK.
    >
    >Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >updates.

    Hi GraB,

    I have been using the 812S for about 3 months now. The first thing I
    did was to install Sonic, try it once and uninstall, as like you I
    had previously used Nero and the clunky Sonic interface did not
    impress.. My original version of Nero 5.5 would not recognise the
    drive, but download the 5.5.10.56 update and it performs faultlessly.

    >Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    >but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    >according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
    >tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.

    I have done multisession with Nero 5.5 ok.

    >Does Nero 6 support long file names? Nero 5.5 I have, wanted to
    >truncate a couple of file names when I went to add the two /div files
    >to the MP3 backup disc, so I bailed out of that for now.

    As cowbozy remarks, long file names are no problem with Nero 5.5

    >Then there was the antics of the packet writing software.
    >Unfortunately the InCD 3 I had with the previous drive would not work
    >with the LiteOn so I had to use the Sonic DLA equivalent. Dragged and
    >dropped two .div file onto the Verbatim 4x DVD+RW, but from then on
    >when inserting the disc into the drive, it would eject again after a
    >short period. I tried changing the book type and that stopped the
    >disc from ejecting, but this time it just locks up the computer. I
    >can't access this disc to erase or reformat it. I am guessing that
    >InCD 4 works better?

    I don't use InCD (it conflicted with another app, so I disbled its
    startup) so cannot comment about it or the Sonic DLA app.

    >Fortunately I bought some beer.

    That or wine seem a good idea under the circumstances.

    Kiwi, Aug 20, 2004
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    >I don't use InCD (it conflicted with another app, so I disbled its
    >startup) so cannot comment about it or the Sonic DLA app.

    I disabled its startup, only to save on system resources, but that
    only stopped it appearing in the system tray. It still worked with
    formatted CDs. The only time I had to actually start it was to format
    a CD.

    >>Fortunately I bought some beer.

    >That or wine seem a good idea under the circumstances.

    Got that too.

    GraB, Aug 20, 2004
  8. GraB

    Brett Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:44:20 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 18:14:34 +1200, "cowboyz" <> wrote:
    >
    >>GraB wrote:
    >>> Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >>> OK.

    I dumped the software that came with my liteon, in a word "Crap", took a
    bit of work to remove it too, so I would say don't install it at all.

    I have win98 (going to xp next week) and use Nero6, it is great and I've
    had no problems doing all sorts of strange stuff with it.

    Still the drives a great one.

    Brett, Aug 21, 2004
  9. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >OK.
    >
    >Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >updates.

    Got an e-mail back from Sonic. There are no updates available unless
    it came bundled with a Sony product. I have to buy a later version.
    They must want people to go to Nero.

    GraB, Aug 21, 2004
  10. GraB

    GraB Guest

    >>Backed up all my MP3s to one DVD+R disc, it supports long file names,
    >>but find that Windows 98SE doesn't support multisession DVDs,
    >>according to Sonic. I had never come across that before! Everytime I
    >>tried to add two video files to the disc the computer locked up.
    >>

    >I have done multisession with Nero 5.5 ok.

    What OS?

    Did some experimenting tonight. Took a DVD+R that was written with
    Sonic RecordNow and added a second session with Nero. In Win98SE the
    drive couldn't see the disc. Thought it might be something to do with
    two different writing programs so did a fresh disc in two sessions
    with Nero, which popped up a warning about some drives and OSs prior
    to XP not being able to read multisession write once DVDs, the same
    thing again. Drive appears to have no disc in and clicking on the
    drive icon produces 'drive not ready' error message. So it seems from
    that, that Win98 can't read multisession DVD+Rs but I have a
    multisession DVD+RW that it can read.

    That puts a slight kink in my style. I don't want to go to XP just so
    that I can read multisession DVD+Rs, so will just have to accumulate
    the backup data on DVD+RW then copy it onto DVD+Rs when full.

    GraB, Aug 21, 2004
  11. GraB

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:

    >Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >OK.
    >
    >Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >updates.

    For what it's worth, the LiteOn 1213s comes with Nero6. I guess they must have
    switched to it with their newer drives.

    Craig Shore, Aug 22, 2004
  12. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 18:15:03 +1200, Craig Shore
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:18:10 +1200, GraB <> wrote:
    >
    >>Installed the LiteOn 812S yesterday, updated firmware, burnt some CDs,
    >>OK.
    >>
    >>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    >>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    >>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    >>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    >>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    >>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    >>updates.

    >For what it's worth, the LiteOn 1213s comes with Nero6. I guess they must have
    >switched to it with their newer drives.

    Perhaps for the extra $25 it would have been worth it just for the
    software.

    GraB, Aug 22, 2004
  13. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article GraB says...
    > >>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    > >>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    > >>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    > >>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    > >>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    > >>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    > >>updates.

    > >For what it's worth, the LiteOn 1213s comes with Nero6. I guess they must have
    > >switched to it with their newer drives.
    > >

    > Perhaps for the extra $25 it would have been worth it just for the
    > software.

    Sony cd Extreme was based on the same software as RecordNow. A year or 2
    back the RecordNow clones were better regarded than Nero which went
    through frequent buggy periods (just look at the release notes for the
    Nero updates if you can find them now)

    colinco, Aug 22, 2004
  14. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article GraB says...
    > >>Comes with Sonic software including RecordNow DX v4.6 (current version
    > >>v7.2). It is a lot like Sony CD Extreme that I had installed but that
    > >>wouldn't work with the new DVD burner. I had uninstalled all Nero
    > >>software to avoid conflicts, as suggested by Sonic. But there is no
    > >>way to get updates. Contrary to the Sonic site there is no automatic
    > >>online update option anywhere and Sonic don't have downloadable
    > >>updates.

    Any use?

    http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17341

    colinco, Aug 22, 2004
  15. GraB

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 08:55:22 +1200, colinco <> wrote:

    >In article GraB says...
    >> >
    >> >For what it's worth, the LiteOn 1213s comes with Nero6. I guess they must have
    >> >switched to it with their newer drives.
    >> >

    >> Perhaps for the extra $25 it would have been worth it just for the
    >> software.
    >>

    >Sony cd Extreme was based on the same software as RecordNow. A year or 2
    >back the RecordNow clones were better regarded than Nero which went
    >through frequent buggy periods (just look at the release notes for the
    >Nero updates if you can find them now)

    No Nero has far better Support that why it has all these fixes, simple Logic..

    Way to simple for the Idiots here.

    Karen Parker, Aug 23, 2004
  16. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:01:03 +1200, colinco <>
    wrote:

    >In article GraB says...

    >Any use?
    >
    >http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17341

    Yes and no.

    It is odd because I got an e-mail back from Sonic saying there were no
    updates available. I have to BUY the next version.

    But I went ahead on the above link, they send you a number by e-mail
    to authorise the download. The download is only 99megs! It was going
    to take me nearly seven hours on dial-up. I will stick with Nero.

    GraB, Aug 23, 2004
  17. GraB wrote:
    > But I went ahead on the above link, they send you a number by e-mail
    > to authorise the download. The download is only 99megs! It was going
    > to take me nearly seven hours on dial-up. I will stick with Nero.

    heh, I just got an MSI Dual format DVD+/-/r/rw or something, and I have
    the trouble that my old oem version of Nero doesnt work with the new
    drive, and the new oem version doesnt work with the old drive.
    What can I do?
    tried emailing Ahead, and they said too bad.

    So Im downloading the full Nero software and a key generator.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 23, 2004
  18. GraB

    colinco Guest

    In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > heh, I just got an MSI Dual format DVD+/-/r/rw or something, and I have
    > the trouble that my old oem version of Nero doesnt work with the new
    > drive, and the new oem version doesnt work with the old drive.
    > What can I do?
    > tried emailing Ahead, and they said too bad.

    They virtually give it away to the OEMs. Don't expect Ahead to care.

    colinco, Aug 23, 2004
  19. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:59:03 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> But I went ahead on the above link, they send you a number by e-mail
    >> to authorise the download. The download is only 99megs! It was going
    >> to take me nearly seven hours on dial-up. I will stick with Nero.

    >heh, I just got an MSI Dual format DVD+/-/r/rw or something, and I have
    >the trouble that my old oem version of Nero doesnt work with the new
    >drive, and the new oem version doesnt work with the old drive.
    >What can I do?
    >tried emailing Ahead, and they said too bad.
    >
    >So Im downloading the full Nero software and a key generator.

    I saw an MSI drive at PCGear Dunedin, for $169, comparable specs to
    the LiteOn 812S but I had already ordered the LiteOn. It is not the
    same as others I have seen online recently in that it doesn't have
    HD-Burn. Apart from the crap software that came with the LiteOn, I
    have no regrets. They are well supported and the LtnRPC.exe utility
    has the region thing well covered, even the software side of it. You
    can reset User and Vendor count (which is which?).

    It is interesting the see how easy it is to crack the most popular
    burning software and the lengths Sonic go to to prevent people getting
    updates unless they have registered their software - as if anyone
    would want to pirate Sonic software.

    I see Nero Express 6 OEM is only $31 at Paradigm, no mention of full
    version, but that is quite cheap and would probably do most people.

    GraB, Aug 23, 2004
  20. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:37:29 +1200, colinco <> says...
    > In article Dave - Dave.net.nz says...
    > > heh, I just got an MSI Dual format DVD+/-/r/rw or something, and I have
    > > the trouble that my old oem version of Nero doesnt work with the new
    > > drive, and the new oem version doesnt work with the old drive.
    > > What can I do?
    > > tried emailing Ahead, and they said too bad.
    > >

    > They virtually give it away to the OEMs. Don't expect Ahead to care.

    It is supposed to be locked to the drive you bought, so you can only use
    the version that came with that drive. If you don't like this, upgrade to
    the full product.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 23, 2004