New DVD copy protection format announced

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Anthony Horan, Apr 1, 2004.

  1. Just got some interesting news from a contact who works with the DVD Forum,
    who gave me the info under the condition that I not reveal her name - let's
    just call her "April F" - or go into too many details in public about what
    they told me. Here is what I can tell you without being dragged through the
    courts.

    Apparently after much lobbying by the MPAA and the various multinationals,
    all DVDs released under their imprints as of April 1st, 2005 will be
    equipped with a new kind of copy protection, in an attempt to stop once and
    for all the heinous crime being committed by millions - people watching
    their DVDs more than once.

    Under new laws to be enacted under the DMPABCA (Digital Millennium Plus A
    Bit Copyright Act) it will become illegal for anyone to buy a DVD and watch
    it for more than one single viewing. The new law clearly states that motion
    pictures are licensed, not sold, and that the person who purchases such a
    license by buying a DVD of a movie only has the right to view it one single
    time before they are obliged to pay another fee to see it again.

    "Look, it's the movies," said entertainment lawyer April Fuelles. "It's
    exactly the same thing as computer software. I mean, look at Finding Nemo.
    I hate to spoil the film for people, but the reality is that those are not
    real fish. They're computer generated, and therefore subject to the same
    licensing laws as computer software like Windows XP."

    The new regime is expected to involve some form of product activation,
    where the DVD purchaser will be permitted to watch the first five minutes
    of the movie (or 10 minutes if there are more than 12 studio logos at the
    start of the film) before being asked to contact a toll-free number to
    obtain the code to view the remainder of the disc.

    In a separate development, a new copy protection scheme being prepared by
    intellectual property protection giant Macrovision is causing some problems
    in beta testing. The scheme is ingenious, said Macrovision head of
    development A. Prilfuells...

    "What we've done, without going into too much detail that might help
    hackers, is to merge DVD technology with the clever methods used by some
    email-borne worms and viruses," Mr Prilfuells said. "When a user uses a
    program such as DVD Decrypter to rip the movie to their hard drive, the
    protection detects the attempt to decode CSS protection and the second
    level of protection is silently activated. This checks the Windows registry
    for the name of the owner of that computer, then searches the user's hard
    disk for that user's contact details - email, street address and phone
    number. That information is then seamlessly edited in to the movie's end
    credit sequence, right after the director credit. So for example on
    Minority Report, the credits run like this:

    DIRECTED BY STEPHEN SPEILBERG

    PIRATED BY DAVE SMITH, 23 REGENT STREET RESERVOIR VIC 3073
    PHONE +61 3 9555 6754 EMAIL

    PRODUCED BY KATHLEEN KENNEDY

    ....and so on. That way, the studio that owns the film will have no trouble
    getting a vigilante posse together to rough up the perpetrators within
    hours of them distributing their pirated discs via the internet or at
    market stalls."

    The new system is, however, rumoured to be causing some problems. In
    testing the new system, software engineers are reported to have had trouble
    while copying "Pirates Of The Carribean", where the names, addresses and
    emails of every single cast member that played a pirate in the film
    suddenly appear in the end credits of illegal copies."

    "I hate Macrovision," said Johnny Depp yesterday. "I am a private person,
    and I used to be able to enjoy that privacy despite my standing in
    Hollywood. But thanks to this new copy protection, tens of thousands of
    illegal DVD purchasers know where I live and keep ringing me up to say
    'arrrrrr'. I can't take it any more. I have to move, and I'm not telling
    anybody where. Thanks for nothing."

    The scheme also runs into technical difficulties if the disc being copied
    contains a copy of the music video for the song "Stand And Deliver" by 80s
    group Adam And The Ants. Macrovision expects to have a fixed version of
    their protection scheme ready for prime time when the system is launched on
    April 1st, 2006.

    - Anthony
    Anthony Horan, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Anthony Horan

    luminos Guest

    Nice try.
    luminos, Apr 1, 2004

  3. Anthony Horan

    NightStalker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Just got some interesting news from a contact who works with the DVD Forum,
    > who gave me the info under the condition that I not reveal her name - let's
    > just call her "April F" - or go into too many details in public about what
    > they told me. Here is what I can tell you without being dragged through the
    > courts.

    LOL - very clever :) I like it. And the date again, is...??

    --

    NightStalker
    NightStalker, Apr 1, 2004
  4. Anthony Horan

    Cernovog Guest

    You took waaaaay too much time writing this and it wasn't even that funny. To
    write a good April Fool's joke you've got to start it off as seriously as
    possible and then get more and more outrageous. People will start off
    thinking it's perfectly reasonable, then they'll start getting angrier and
    angrier, then finally they'll stop and say "This can't be real!"

    There was a *really* good "leaked" memo out a while ago about Episode 2. It
    started out with some reasonable information, then got crazier and crazier
    until Anakin accidentally decapitates his mother after she gets raped by Mace
    Windu and Fox executives are kowtowing to Lucas saying, "Don't get me wrong!
    I love the rape scene!"

    After only the first couple of sentences, it was obvious your post was a
    joke. The punchlines weren't even that funny, IMHO.

    Better luck next year.
    Cernovog, Apr 1, 2004
  5. Anthony Horan

    Sir Oran Guest

    On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:02:01 +1000, Anthony Horan
    <> wrote:

    >Just got some interesting news from a contact who works with the DVD Forum,
    >who gave me the info under the condition that I not reveal her name - let's
    >just call her "April F"

    Wasn't Disney actually trying to develop something like this a few
    years ago? ISTR the plan was that you'd get three watches of your DVD,
    and then you'd have to call a phone number and give your credit card
    details and buy the disc again to get another couple of watches out of
    it.

    --
    Sir Oran

    We love television because television brings us a world in which
    television does not exist. In fact, deep in their hearts, this is what
    the spuds crave most: a rich, new, participatory life.
    (Barbara Ehrenreich)
    Sir Oran, Apr 1, 2004
  6. Anthony Horan

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Anthony Horan" <> wrote in message

    > Under new laws to be enacted under the DMPABCA (Digital Millennium Plus A
    > Bit Copyright Act) it will become illegal for anyone to buy a DVD and

    watch
    > it for more than one single viewing. The new law clearly states that

    motion
    > pictures are licensed, not sold, and that the person who purchases such a
    > license by buying a DVD of a movie only has the right to view it one

    single
    > time before they are obliged to pay another fee to see it again.

    (snip)

    rofl...this is exactly where things are heading. ;) Thanks for the
    laugh...

    Mike
    Mike Kohary, Apr 1, 2004
  7. On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 2:36:55 -0500, Cernovog wrote:

    > You took waaaaay too much time writing this and it wasn't even that funny. To
    > write a good April Fool's joke you've got to start it off as seriously as
    > possible and then get more and more outrageous.

    There's no pleasing some people.

    "That's just what Jesus said, sir!"

    Sorry it wasn't nerdily accurate enough for you :)

    - Anthony
    Anthony Horan, Apr 1, 2004

  8. > Wasn't Disney actually trying to develop something like this a few
    > years ago? ISTR the plan was that you'd get three watches of your DVD,
    > and then you'd have to call a phone number and give your credit card
    > details and buy the disc again to get another couple of watches out of
    > it.
    >
    > -

    Here in the U.S, it was called DIVX, short for "Digital Video Express."
    $4.99 got you a movie, recorded in a non-standard DVD format, and one 48
    hour viewing period. Additional 48 hour viewing periods were available at a
    rate of $2.99 each.

    Disney was a staunch supporter of the format, though I don't believe they
    were a financial backer--electronics giant Circuit City was the chief
    backer/pusher. Thankfully it failed miserably, with the demise being
    announced within a year of the format's rollout.
    William Hicks, Apr 1, 2004
  9. Anthony Horan

    Fred Guest

    Anthony Horan <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Just got some interesting news from a contact who works with the DVD Forum,
    > who gave me the info under the condition that I not reveal her name - let's
    > just call her "April F"

    Such an imaginative name! Gave your whole story away immediately. :)
    Fred, Apr 2, 2004
  10. when an april fool's joke doesn't work ....
    the joker becomes the ....

    jeremy wrinklebottom, Apr 2, 2004
  11. Anthony Horan

    John Savard Guest

    On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:06:49 GMT, "William Hicks"
    <> wrote, in part:

    >Here in the U.S, it was called DIVX,

    But there was *another* scheme, in which you bought a disk, opened the
    plastic packet it was in, and then you could watch it until it would
    self-destruct in five hours or three days or whatever - and Disney was
    behind *that* one, IIRC.

    John Savard
    John Savard, Apr 2, 2004
  12. Anthony Horan

    luminos Guest

    It is still under trial. I hear it has been a disaster.

    luminos, Apr 2, 2004
  13. Anthony Horan

    Bill Guest

    I remember reading about those self-destructing DVDs now, in a video
    magazine. It doesn't surprise me at all to hear that Disney was behind it. I
    can still remember Disney's attempts to keep its VHS library as rentals
    only.

    I thought of DIVX immediately though, because the poster who brought this up
    mentioned the notion of being able to purchase additional viewing periods,
    something that couldn't be done with a self-destruct disc.

    Bill, Apr 2, 2004
  14. Anthony Horan

    profft Guest

    April 1 of coarse

    Naturally there are studio corporate types that would just love to do some
    crap like that, all it would do is kill the dvd market.

    profft, Apr 3, 2004