New dvd burner trouble

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kele, Oct 25, 2011.

  1. Kele

    Kele Guest

    Group, the following from a friend... can you provide guidance that I can
    pass to her?

    just purchased another dvd burner after my last one took a dump on me in 6
    months anyway the trouble i am having is my new burner is a sata drive and
    it is stuck in pio mode my drive is ASUS DRW-24B1ST on firmware 1.04

    all i can figure out by googling is a few guides out there tell u to do this

    Do the following:

    Run REGEDIT. (Start - Run - Regedit)

    Go to the following key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    For each of the subkeys 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. delete (if present) the
    MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum values.

    Reboot.

    sure that worked to get it to dma 5 and all but it looks up the system when
    it trys to read a blank dvd before it is burned i am lost any help would be
    appreciated and im running win xp

    Kele, Oct 25, 2011

  2. Kele

    Paul Guest

    Kele wrote:
    > Group, the following from a friend... can you provide guidance that I can
    > pass to her?
    >

    > just purchased another dvd burner after my last one took a dump on me in 6
    > months anyway the trouble i am having is my new burner is a sata drive and
    > it is stuck in pio mode my drive is ASUS DRW-24B1ST on firmware 1.04
    >
    > all i can figure out by googling is a few guides out there tell u to do this
    >
    > Do the following:
    >
    > Run REGEDIT. (Start - Run - Regedit)
    >
    > Go to the following key:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    >
    > For each of the subkeys 0000, 0001, 0002, 0003, etc. delete (if present) the
    > MasterIdDataChecksum and SlaveIdDataChecksum values.
    >
    > Reboot.
    >
    > sure that worked to get it to dma 5 and all but it looks up the system when
    > it trys to read a blank dvd before it is burned i am lost any help would be
    > appreciated and im running win xp

    Defective drive ?

    Bad cable ?

    Bad chipset interface on motherboard ?

    If the SATA drive has data transmission problems, and is getting
    CRC errors, then eventually the drive will revert to PIO mode again.

    Check the motherboard interface and the cable, by plugging a hard drive
    into it, and see if the hard drive has similar problems (drops to PIO
    mode).

    A SATA cable should not be bent or kinked. The cable should be smooth and
    not bent into a tight radius turn. (Don't coil it up, or wrap twist ties
    around the cabling. Leave it free to assume its own shape.) If the cable
    is kinked, it can throw off the impedance value of the cable. I've run into
    people, who got an improvement, when they tried another cable.

    *******

    A workaround, is to host the drive using a USB2 to SATA adapter. USB2 has
    sufficient bandwidth to handle a DVD burn operation (I do this all the time).
    If the drive really has a bad SATA interface on it, it's still going to
    suck at burning stuff. But if it was a motherboard problem, it's possible
    the USB2 to SATA would give you a workable solution. But I'd sooner just
    fix the original problem - this is only fun to try as an experiment, if
    you happen to own a USB2 to SATA adapter already.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 26, 2011

  3. Kele

    Kele Guest

    I passed your message, Paul. Thank you!

    Kele, Oct 27, 2011
  4. Kele

    Kele Guest

    She replies:
    nope i dont own a usb2 to sata adapter. I used to have a HP 1270 burner it
    was a sata as well did the same thing as this one so i got a IDE drive and
    had no probs. Now i go to frys electronics and they no longer carry IDE
    drives big letdown. the sata cable is new not kinked or anything but its the
    sata cable that came with the drive i dont know if theres a differance to
    getting one free with the drive or if a 10 dollar one at frys will make an
    improvement i dunno. i dont have a sata hdd to see if its just the sata
    interface on the motherboard but everything else like my second dvd burner
    is on an IDE as well as my 2 other hdd's all are running in DMA mode and has
    no conflicts with the sata burner. i might just have to suck it up and spend
    the 20 bucks to try the usb2 to sata solution maybe its just a pos sata
    interface on the motherboard which wouldnt surprise me thanks for the tips

    Kele, Oct 28, 2011
  5. Kele

    Paul Guest

    Kele wrote:
    > She replies:
    > nope i dont own a usb2 to sata adapter. I used to have a HP 1270 burner it
    > was a sata as well did the same thing as this one so i got a IDE drive and
    > had no probs. Now i go to frys electronics and they no longer carry IDE
    > drives big letdown. the sata cable is new not kinked or anything but its the
    > sata cable that came with the drive i dont know if theres a differance to
    > getting one free with the drive or if a 10 dollar one at frys will make an
    > improvement i dunno. i dont have a sata hdd to see if its just the sata
    > interface on the motherboard but everything else like my second dvd burner
    > is on an IDE as well as my 2 other hdd's all are running in DMA mode and has
    > no conflicts with the sata burner. i might just have to suck it up and spend
    > the 20 bucks to try the usb2 to sata solution maybe its just a pos sata
    > interface on the motherboard which wouldnt surprise me thanks for the tips

    In USB2 to SATA solutions, you can get a large 5.25" drive enclosure,
    designed for optical drives, with USB2 on the outside, and SATA on the
    inside. But this will likely cost a bit more. It's also portable.
    Usually, the faceplate pops out, so a tray-load optical drive can work.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817186103

    You can also get "portable" USB2 to SATA dongle adapters, which is equivalent
    to the previously mentioned enclosure, but without the enclosure mechanicals.
    This would allow the optical drive to just sit on the table, and relies
    on the metal housing of the drive itself as the "enclosure". This is a
    temporary solution.

    http://www.amazon.com/Drive-Adapter...RMVQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319773896&sr=8-1

    *******

    For internal solutions, nice and tidy, you can go with this:

    http://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/25in-and-35in-40-Pin-Male-IDE-to-SATA-Adapter-Converter~IDE2SAT

    How that works, is the black SATA part plugs into the back of the drive.
    The 40 gold plated pins, are where the computer ribbon cable connects.
    This allows a SATA drive to be used with an IDE motherboard. The jumper
    plug on this particular device, selects "Master" or "Slave", meaning
    you could actually use two adapters and a motherboard ribbon cable, to
    support up to two SATA drives.

    The downside of the IDE2SAT concept, is not all the chips are
    ATAPI compliant. In some cases, there can be problems getting an
    optical drive to work. I think I've tested that one here, with
    my SATA optical. I used a USB2 to IDE enclosure, a IDE2SAT adapter
    plug, and a SATA optical drive, to successfully burn a DVD :) When
    done that way, the assembly is too long for the cover to fit on
    the enclosure, so while I was doing that, the enclosure was open
    to the air.

    So there are plenty of little toys out there, to fix the problem.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 28, 2011