    Anyway if want to read more details visit the link above, its not my site so
    don't feel fair cut-n-pasting the entire thing.

    Cheers
    Bratboy, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Bratboy

    John Howells Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote

    > In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

    The native format is 16:9

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in message

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote
    >
    >> In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

    > The native format is 16:9
    >
    > John Howells

    I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any aspect
    info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.
    Bratboy, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote in message

    > "John Howells" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bratboy" <> wrote
    >>
    >>> In a nutshell, it will be in its native WS 14:9 format, ...

    >> The native format is 16:9
    >>
    >> John Howells
    >>

    > I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any aspect
    > info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.

    Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
    "The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
    come to that) is shot at 14:9."
    Bratboy, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Bratboy

    John Howells Guest

    "Bratboy" <> wrote

    > > I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any

    aspect
    > > info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.
    > >

    > Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
    > "The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
    > come to that) is shot at 14:9."

    Should we now assume everything else he writes is also utter garbage?

    *ALL* BBC widescreen material is, without exception, shot for 16:9, the
    ratio of WS broadcast TV. When broadcast on 4:3 terrestrial it is converted
    to 14:9 by chopping a bit off the sides and putting small black bars top and
    bottom. If the resulting 14:9 with black bars in a 4:3 frame is what they
    are getting on the DVDs in Canada and the US they have my sympathies.

    It would not be the first time that 16:9 material had been butchered for the
    US markets, such as the later Poirot episodes (from Murder in Mesopotamia
    onwards), and the recent Miss Marple series (with Geraldine McEwan). They
    were made for 16:9 and chopped to 4:3 for the US market (and, yes, they were
    chopped, not open matte). If the butchering of Doctor Who is only to 14:9 I
    suppose that is a bit better, but still unacceptable when you know what it
    can look like as originally intended on a WS TV.

    John Howells
    John Howells, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Bratboy

    > "Bratboy" <> wrote
    >
    >> > I thought the aspect sounded odd myself but since couldnt find any

    > aspect
    >> > info anywhere else I just repeated the info as it was written.
    >> >

    >> Well wrote the author and asked about it being a typo and he said
    >> "The scores on the board are correct. "Doctor Who" (and all BBC product
    >> come to that) is shot at 14:9."

    > Should we now assume everything else he writes is also utter garbage?
    >
    > *ALL* BBC widescreen material is, without exception, shot for 16:9, the
    > ratio of WS broadcast TV. When broadcast on 4:3 terrestrial it is
    > converted
    > to 14:9 by chopping a bit off the sides and putting small black bars top
    > and
    > bottom. If the resulting 14:9 with black bars in a 4:3 frame is what they
    > are getting on the DVDs in Canada and the US they have my sympathies.
    >
    > It would not be the first time that 16:9 material had been butchered for
    > the
    > US markets, such as the later Poirot episodes (from Murder in Mesopotamia
    > onwards), and the recent Miss Marple series (with Geraldine McEwan). They
    > were made for 16:9 and chopped to 4:3 for the US market (and, yes, they
    > were
    > chopped, not open matte). If the butchering of Doctor Who is only to 14:9
    > suppose that is a bit better, but still unacceptable when you know what it
    > can look like as originally intended on a WS TV.
    >
    > John Howells

    Gonna hope he's wrong on it. Will know in about 2 weeks.
    Bratboy, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Bratboy

    Guest

    It was photographed on Digital Betacam at 1.78:1, probably at 50hz.

    CPJ
    , Jan 29, 2006
  8. Bratboy

    Bratboy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > It was photographed on Digital Betacam at 1.78:1, probably at 50hz.
    >

    > CPJ

    Well I'm just gonna hope for the best for now and pray WB doesnt screw
    things up. I noticed IMDB did say 1.78:1 and I don't recall any complaints
    on the UK release, other than ppl saying the box fell apart. Since they said
    at BBC when the set was announced for Canada that the Canada set is the same
    other than the pkging I'm still hopeful. Just so long as they dont pull the
    kind of crap that was done with House MD season 1 I'll be happy.I can find
    plenty of pic's of the front of the new set and even one with the case open
    but not a single shot of the back which would tell all, hehe
    Bratboy, Jan 30, 2006