New download procedure for AVG free version.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ron Martell, May 21, 2004.

  1. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.

    Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
    start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
    needed to complete the install.

    The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
    a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.

    When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    has the serial number needed for the install.

    When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
    automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
    the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
    read the rest of the page.

    Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    everything went smoothly.

    There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
    - the procedure must be fully automated.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, May 21, 2004

  2. Ron Martell wrote:

    > AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
    >
    > Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
    > start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
    > needed to complete the install.
    >
    > The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    > registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
    > a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
    >
    > When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    > has the serial number needed for the install.
    >
    > When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    > time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    > few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
    > automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
    > the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
    > read the rest of the page.
    >
    > Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    > everything went smoothly.
    >
    > There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
    > - the procedure must be fully automated.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Good thing I have the AVG v6 file in about twelve different storage
    places. Just run the install program, put in the same serial number I've
    used a couple of hundred times and tell it to update. Voila, the
    customer's computer is all up to date. I encourage the customer to
    download and register their own copy but I find that 90% of the time
    they don't go to the trouble and end up screwed with viruses again.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2004

  3. Ron Martell

    Ron Martell Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Ron Martell wrote:
    >
    >> AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
    >>
    >> Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
    >> start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
    >> needed to complete the install.
    >>
    >> The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    >> registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
    >> a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
    >>
    >> When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    >> has the serial number needed for the install.
    >>
    >> When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    >> time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    >> few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
    >> automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
    >> the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
    >> read the rest of the page.
    >>
    >> Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    >> everything went smoothly.
    >>
    >> There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
    >> - the procedure must be fully automated.
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    >Good thing I have the AVG v6 file in about twelve different storage
    >places. Just run the install program, put in the same serial number I've
    >used a couple of hundred times and tell it to update. Voila, the
    >customer's computer is all up to date. I encourage the customer to
    >download and register their own copy but I find that 90% of the time
    >they don't go to the trouble and end up screwed with viruses again.

    Install the free AVG Update Reminder utility and set it for a 3 or 4
    day interval. I have started adding it to my customer's systems

    http://members.tripod.com/cwaldman/AVGUpdater/AVGUpdater.html

    Ron Martell, May 21, 2004
  4. Ron Martell

    Hamman Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
    >
    > Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
    > start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
    > needed to complete the install.
    >
    > The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    > registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
    > a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
    >
    > When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    > has the serial number needed for the install.
    >
    > When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    > time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    > few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
    > automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
    > the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
    > read the rest of the page.
    >
    > Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    > everything went smoothly.
    >
    > There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
    > - the procedure must be fully automated.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --

    AVG has to be the most 'relaxed' anti-virus software i've ever used.
    After a month of running it on my server, it had managed to miss 14 viruses,
    which norton found near instantly.
    Once again it seems its not a good idea to cheap-out on security.
    Anyway, Norton Corp is running fine alongside ZA Pro without too much drain
    on the system so im happy.

    hamman

    Hamman, May 21, 2004
  5. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In news:,
    Hamman <> typed
    || "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    ||| AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of
    ||| AVG6.
    ||| Previously when you completed the registration form the download
    ||| would start automatically and you were sent an email with the
    ||| serial number needed to complete the install.
    ||| The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    ||| registration form you are sent the first email. That email
    ||| contains
    ||| a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
    ||| When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    ||| has the serial number needed for the install.
    ||| When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    ||| time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    ||| few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for
    ||| the automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I
    ||| noticed the page had no link to click on to start the download
    ||| manually. So I read the rest of the page.
    ||| Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    ||| everything went smoothly.
    ||| There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from
    ||| AVG - the procedure must be fully automated.
    ||| Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    ||| --
    || AVG has to be the most 'relaxed' anti-virus software i've ever used.
    || After a month of running it on my server, it had managed to miss 14
    || viruses, which norton found near instantly.
    || Once again it seems its not a good idea to cheap-out on security.
    || Anyway, Norton Corp is running fine alongside ZA Pro without too
    || much drain on the system so im happy.
    || hamman

    Hmmm, well I could say the same for McAfee and NAV. I've installed AVG Free
    on many systems that were already running McAfee, VET, NAV, and others, and
    found viruses that had been missed.

    Each to their own. If one's sensible one shouldn't need to worry to much.

    Robert de Brus, May 21, 2004
  6. Ron Martell <> wrote in

    > AVG has modified the download procedure for the free version of AVG6.
    >
    > Previously when you completed the registration form the download would
    > start automatically and you were sent an email with the serial number
    > needed to complete the install.
    >
    > The new procedure involves 2 emails. When you complete the
    > registration form you are sent the first email. That email contains
    > a link, valid for 24 hours only, that will download the file.
    >
    > When you go to that download site a second email is sent. This one
    > has the serial number needed for the install.
    >
    > When I set up a customer's machine with AVG tonight it was the first
    > time I had encountered the new procedure and it did confuse me for a
    > few minutes - after completing the registration page I waited for the
    > automatic download to start. And waited. And waited. Then I noticed
    > the page had no link to click on to start the download manually. So I
    > read the rest of the page.
    >
    > Then I went and checked the email, got the download link, and
    > everything went smoothly.
    >
    > There seemed to be almost no delay in sending out the emails from AVG
    > - the procedure must be fully automated.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Hello Mr. Martell! *Thank* *you* very much for the heads-up!

    I've read the current thread and will add a little personal-experience
    feedback for the benefit of those folks who may be interested.

    1. I've tried several of the AV programs out there, both the pay-fer
    versions and the freebies (anyone still remember IPE and the community that
    built up around it - 2 minutes into an update and *it* *was* *posted*
    *everywhere* *from* *all* *over* our big blue marble?) and AVG has been as
    good to me as any - but like all of them, you really have to keep them
    diligently updated - and even then: (especially if you're a pioneer-type or
    cruise around some the grayer areas of the WWW - like ?? KaZaA ??) you're
    likely to get one of the newer versions of a virus - until the ICSA groups
    first discover it - and then fomulate a fix - and then distribute the
    remedy. I've concluded that AVG free as good as any - whereas I really
    don't need to protect a server or anything like that. Workstations and
    small home networks = "free is good." ;-> And in the case of AVG, "free is
    well-certified, well-credentialized" and has been gooohhhddd too mee.

    http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php

    2. Since I frequently either install or reinstall Windows on different
    machines and/or configurations, I like to keep a relatively current version
    of AVG-Free downloaded, onhand, archived, so I don't have to go out
    unprotected and do the old register/download/email/install process - which
    is now the 'new and improved' register/email/email/download/install process
    - and then when I update it there is only a very small file involved at
    worst case scenario. (In that regard, Grisoft's policy of registering
    before every program download is a bit cumbersome - but hey, free is after
    all free; and free is good for me.) So, I am most grateful for the heads-up
    because I do so many things routinely (by rote) anymore, that I'm quite
    sure I may have sat there and wasted valuable time and nervous energy
    wondering if I may have screwed something up in the installation process --
    and gone spelunking through all my Internet Connections and Network
    Connections searching for a glitch. <whew> It happens...

    3. I should emphasize as well, that AV defenses is only *1* tactic I use to
    protect all my data and time and work from malware. A thourough and
    diligent back-up stategy is essential to my operations and peace of mind. I
    regularly backup data files, and routinely image my drives *just* *in*
    *case*! It may seem like a lot of time - but I view it as well-invested
    time. So would most folks, if they ever got afflicted; there was no current
    AV fix available yet while the whole world was searching and notifying us
    users to "just hold on" (remember the early Nimda flavors???); So all they
    had to do was backup to a [progressively] previous image to only lose a
    couple of days of drive changes - then overwrite a few of the data backups
    - thus losing very little but time instead of running untold hazards
    waiting for a remedy. After a while the backing up gets pretty routine so
    the time factor is very negligible. To me, anyway.

    Anyway, thank you for your kind consideration and taking the time from your
    busy schedule to post an item of interest so that all of us might benefit.

    Sincerely,

    Lucky Bucky
    --
    I'm as confused as a hungry baby in a topless club.

    Bucky Breeder, May 21, 2004