    Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it, or
    should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than giving a
    503 failure? Thanks.

    Yonki, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Yonki

    Mike Easter Guest

    Yonki wrote:
    > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
    > or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
    > giving a 503 failure?

    Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
    What did the registrar say?

    You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
    someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
    configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
    accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.

    http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Yonki

    Richard Guest

    Yonki wrote:

    > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it, or
    > should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than giving a
    > 503 failure? Thanks.

    Anywhere from a few hours to a week depending on the service.

    Richard, Dec 9, 2004
  4. Yonki

    Yonki Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Yonki wrote:
    > > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
    > > or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
    > > giving a 503 failure?

    > Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
    > What did the registrar say?
    >
    > You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
    > someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
    > configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
    > accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.
    >
    > http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

    Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
    understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple, yet
    detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA, MX, CNAME,
    etc.

    Thanks, again.

    Yonki, Dec 9, 2004
  5. Yonki

    Dodo Guest

    A 503 status code is returned from a web server, so the domain must be
    resolving to a web server.

    Dodo, Dec 9, 2004
  6. In article <UP3ud.6237%> Mike
    Easter <> wrote:

    >Yonki wrote:
    >> Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
    >> or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
    >> giving a 503 failure?

    >Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
    >What did the registrar say?

    Do you wonder if the registrar say?

    >You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
    >someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
    >configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
    >accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.

    Yeah? And I have some really nice property for sale on the dark side
    of the moon. Really cheap. Idiota.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Answering the bot, Kurt?" -- Paulo Gomes Jardim

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 9, 2004
  7. Yonki

    Mike Easter Guest

    Yonki wrote:
    > Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
    > understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple,
    > yet detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA,
    > MX, CNAME, etc.

    One non-google strategy for those issues would be to use the links
    accessible at webopedia.

    front page http://www.webopedia.com/ input DNS =>
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DNS.html -- read the stuff at the top,
    then start clicking on the links underneath - their choice of 'great
    page' wouldn't necessarily be my fave of the ones they list. Also
    notice that little column on the right, related terms. Then, some of
    those links have good links, such as the dns resources directory.

    There is a huge amount of information available to make an education of
    DNS related stuff. Plan on spending some time with it, it is very
    important.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Dec 9, 2004
  8. Yonki

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:07:17 -0000, Yonki wrote:

    >"Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Yonki wrote:
    >> > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it,
    >> > or should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than
    >> > giving a 503 failure?

    >> Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
    >> What did the registrar say?
    >>
    >> You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
    >> someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
    >> configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
    >> accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.
    >>
    >> http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

    >Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
    >understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple, yet
    >detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA, MX, CNAME,
    >etc.

    That's a bit deep DNS stuff, if all you are doing using hosting service.
    They would usually set some stuff up for free / extras at additional
    cost and/or provide you with a DIY control panel.

    If you really want to get stuck into SOA,MX and CNAME etc.

    This excellent book and it's companion cookbook of examples,

    DNS and BIND
    Publisher - O'Reilly
    Author - Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu
    4th Edition ISBN 0-596-00158-4

    See the publisher site
    www.oreilly.com

    Also BIND itself and documentation
    http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/

    not forgetting www.google.com

    A quick search for - 'dns basics' gives,

    ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works (ZoneEdit.com)
    ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works. ... NOTE: The
    'whois' information is never used for DNS, and is often misleading and
    inaccurate.
    www.zoneedit.com/doc/dns-basics.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

    IIS Answers - DNS Basics for IIS Administrators
    .... administrators. Privacy Statement. IISAnswers Articles. DNS Basics
    for IIS Administrators - by Rich Hintz . One ...
    www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar
    pages

    DNS basics
    Certification Galore DNS Basics. ... DNS Basics. by Ty Belknap. Click
    here to visit our sponsor. Background. Internet addresses are somewhat
    like postal addresses. ...
    www.windowsgalore.com/cert/dns_basics.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages

    DNS basics
    DNS basics. Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that
    translates a computer's fully qualified domain name (eg,
    lear.ucs.indiana ...
    http://kb.indiana.edu/data/adns.ose.help - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

    Me

    why?, Dec 9, 2004
  9. Yonki

    Yonki Guest

    "Dodo" <> wrote in message
    > A 503 status code is returned from a web server, so the domain must be
    > resolving to a web server.

    The registrar says "24-48 hours after the most recent DNS update/change."

    The thing is that typing the domain name resolves to a page, that just shows
    an advert - set-up by the registrar. Would that indicate the name has been
    registered by DNS?

    Yonki, Dec 9, 2004
  10. Yonki

    Dodo Guest

    Yes.

    The domain would be considered to be parked with the registrar.

    Dodo, Dec 9, 2004
  11. In article <> why?

    >On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 22:07:17 -0000, Yonki wrote:
    >

    >>"Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Hours to days depending on what 'registered' means at the registrar.
    >>> What did the registrar say?
    >>>
    >>> You can go watch some dynamics of the propagation with tools at
    >>> someplace like dnsstuff. The nameserver/s have to be operational and
    >>> configured correctly. If things aren't 'going well' the information
    >>> accessible at dnsreport can help you 'motivate' the registrar.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.dnsstuff.com/ => http://www.dnsreport.com/

    >>Thank you very much for all this information. Admittedly, I don't
    >>understand it all. Do you have any idea where I could find a simple, yet
    >>detailed, explanation of DNS issues including things like SOA, MX, CNAME,
    >>etc.

    >That's a bit deep DNS stuff, if all you are doing using hosting service.
    >They would usually set some stuff up for free / extras at additional
    >cost and/or provide you with a DIY control panel.

    You just ask if he is doing using hosting service. What is it to you?

    >If you really want to get stuck into SOA,MX and CNAME etc.

    Something about sewing and reaping comes to mind... may you have a
    full harvest.

    >This excellent book and it's companion cookbook of examples,

    Feel free to stop wasting people's time and try engaging in a
    discussion you actually might know something about.

    >DNS and BIND
    >Publisher - O'Reilly
    >Author - Paul Albitz & Cricket Liu
    >4th Edition ISBN 0-596-00158-4
    >
    >See the publisher site
    >www.oreilly.com
    >
    >Also BIND itself and documentation
    >http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/
    >
    >not forgetting www.google.com
    >
    >A quick search for - 'dns basics' gives,

    You're right. Get these people some Prozac. Quick!

    >ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works (ZoneEdit.com)
    >ZoneEdit.Com : Simplified example of how DNS works. ... NOTE: The
    >'whois' information is never used for DNS, and is often misleading and
    >inaccurate.
    >www.zoneedit.com/doc/dns-basics.html - 3k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    >IIS Answers - DNS Basics for IIS Administrators
    >.... administrators. Privacy Statement. IISAnswers Articles. DNS Basics
    >for IIS Administrators - by Rich Hintz . One ...
    >www.iisanswers.com/articles/dns_for_iis.htm - 37k - Cached - Similar
    >pages
    >
    >DNS basics
    >Certification Galore DNS Basics. ... DNS Basics. by Ty Belknap. Click
    >here to visit our sponsor. Background. Internet addresses are somewhat
    >like postal addresses. ...
    >www.windowsgalore.com/cert/dns_basics.htm - 14k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    >DNS basics
    >DNS basics. Domain Name System (DNS) is a database system that
    >translates a computer's fully qualified domain name (eg,
    >lear.ucs.indiana ...
    >http://kb.indiana.edu/data/adns.ose.help - 5k - Cached - Similar pages
    >
    >Me

    What makes you think it was me?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "But I *like* the 'bot. It makes a lot more sense than a winger or a
    fundie. Saner, too." -- Cliff

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 10, 2004
  12. Yonki

    Richard Guest

    Dodo wrote:

    > A 503 status code is returned from a web server, so the domain must be
    > resolving to a web server.

    But which server? The server the domain is supposed to be with, or the one
    from verisign where the domain names are stored?

    Richard, Dec 10, 2004
  13. Yonki

    Plato Guest

    Yonki wrote:

    > Once a new domain name has been registered, roughly how long does it, or
    > should it, take to be accessible from a web browser, rather than giving a
    > 503 failure? Thanks.

    up to 3 days

    Plato, Dec 10, 2004