New direction

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pablo, Nov 16, 2012.

  1. Pablo

    Pablo Guest

    Howdy all.

    Following my recent realisation that I'm terminally photographically
    challenged, I decided to change route slightly. Instead of looking for
    something worth shooting, I'm going to just take my camera out for a walk
    now and then and try to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

    Here's the first:

    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/8190672650/in/photostream>

    Ignore the exif data, it was really shot at f1.8 - by mistake - I forgot it
    was a manual lens.

    Taken using the rule of halfs method :)

    --
    Pablo

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/
    http://paulc.es/

    Pablo, Nov 16, 2012

  2. Pablo

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/16/2012 11:32 AM, Pablo wrote:
    > Howdy all.
    >
    > Following my recent realisation that I'm terminally photographically
    > challenged, I decided to change route slightly. Instead of looking for
    > something worth shooting, I'm going to just take my camera out for a walk
    > now and then and try to make something out of nothing, so to speak.

    <snip>

    I never try to make great pictures, and guess what? I don't classify any
    of my images as "great." But, I shoot only what I like. On occasion,
    others like them too.

    I like your approach. perhaps some of your images would benefit from
    some highlight reduction. Particularly # 6551. When shooting abstracts,
    I try to shade my images so that the viewers eye does not wander all
    over. That is my issue with your # 6545. In that image I have no clue
    where I am supposed to look. In 6553 you would come close, had you just
    toned down some of the highlights. When the SI is posted you will see
    one ob my abstracts that illustrates my meaning. In that image the
    underlying work was done in camera, but I did some post processing to
    enhance the image. You will have to see the debut of those images until
    the official posting.
    Most important rule, keep shooting what you like.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 17, 2012

  3. Pablo

    PeterN Guest

    On 11/17/2012 8:23 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 11/16/2012 11:32 AM, Pablo wrote:
    >> Howdy all.
    >>
    >> Following my recent realisation that I'm terminally photographically
    >> challenged, I decided to change route slightly. Instead of looking for
    >> something worth shooting, I'm going to just take my camera out for a walk
    >> now and then and try to make something out of nothing, so to speak.
    >>

    > <snip>
    >
    > I never try to make great pictures, and guess what? I don't classify any
    > of my images as "great." But, I shoot only what I like. On occasion,
    > others like them too.
    >
    > I like your approach. perhaps some of your images would benefit from
    > some highlight reduction. Particularly # 6551. When shooting abstracts,
    > I try to shade my images so that the viewers eye does not wander all
    > over. That is my issue with your # 6545. In that image I have no clue
    > where I am supposed to look. In 6553 you would come close, had you just
    > toned down some of the highlights. When the SI is posted you will see
    > one ob my abstracts that illustrates my meaning. In that image the
    > underlying work was done in camera, but I did some post processing to
    > enhance the image. You will have to see the debut of those images until
    > the official posting.
    > Most important rule, keep shooting what you like.

    Here is one example submitted in a prior SI.
    <http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/131370989>

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Nov 17, 2012
  4. Pablo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:23:23 -0500, PeterN <>
    wrote:

    : Most important rule, keep shooting what you like.

    The other evening, Gregory Heisler, an extremely successful photographer by
    any measure, told us that that was the best advice he ever got. And that he
    wished he had followed it more than he did.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 17, 2012
  5. Pablo

    philo  Guest

    On 11/17/2012 08:33 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:23:23 -0500, PeterN <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Most important rule, keep shooting what you like.
    >
    > The other evening, Gregory Heisler, an extremely successful photographer by
    > any measure, told us that that was the best advice he ever got. And that he
    > wished he had followed it more than he did.
    >
    > Bob

    Yep...who cares what others think...
    as long as you like what your doing...that's most important.
    Chances are though, others will appreciate the work too

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo , Nov 18, 2012
  6. Pablo

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 20:28:45 -0600, philo  <> wrote:
    : On 11/17/2012 08:33 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    : > On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:23:23 -0500, PeterN <>
    : > wrote:
    : >
    : > : Most important rule, keep shooting what you like.
    : >
    : > The other evening, Gregory Heisler, an extremely successful photographer by
    : > any measure, told us that that was the best advice he ever got. And that he
    : > wished he had followed it more than he did.
    :
    :
    : Yep...who cares what others think...
    : as long as you like what your doing...that's most important.
    : Chances are though, others will appreciate the work too

    Indeed, Heisler said that the older photographer who gave him the advice told
    him that too.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 18, 2012
  7. Pablo

    Paul Ciszek Guest

    In article <>, Pablo <> wrote:
    >Howdy all.
    >
    >Following my recent realisation that I'm terminally photographically
    >challenged, I decided to change route slightly. Instead of looking for
    >something worth shooting, I'm going to just take my camera out for a walk
    >now and then and try to make something out of nothing, so to speak.
    >
    >Here's the first:
    >
    ><http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/8190672650/in/photostream>

    The two fish in this one are rather subtle:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/wibbleypants/7995576282/in/photostream/

    Paul Ciszek, Nov 18, 2012