    (do you do your own cleaning?)
    thank you.
    Paul
    Paul Dörig, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Paul Dörig

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Paul Dörig wrote:

    > Hi
    > i would like to switch to digital photography. with the prices at canon
    > nearly the same for those two differt camera philosphies i wonder which main
    > differences there are between them (besides beeing able to use different
    > lenses of course with 300d). which main advantages/disadvantages ? who buys
    > which?

    Huh.. Are you asking what the difference is between the Ixus and 300D ?

    One is a compact credit card size point and shoot camera, the other is a full
    sized SLR with manual functions. They're designed for completely different
    applications. They are nowhere near the same price either..

    Go to www.dpreview.com and click on 'side by side'. From the list, choose the
    Ixus and the 300D..

    > And finally: how serious is the dirt problem on the chip if i get the 300d
    > (do you do your own cleaning?)
    > thank you.

    You have to live with it. It isn't a BIG deal though.. I find a quick puff
    now and then with a bulb blower is good enough..

    The dust normally shows up in featureless areas (like the sky) when you are
    using a small aperture. Every now and then one or two specks will show up..
    They aren't hard to clone out.
    Jim Townsend, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Jim Townsend wrote:
    > One is a compact credit card size point and shoot camera, the other
    > is a full sized SLR with manual functions.

    full sized SLR *body*.
    The chips got the same specs as most other dSLRs' -> crop factor.

    Not trying to be a smartypants, just trying to avoid eventual
    misunderstandings.

    Ta! - Mathias
    Mathias Schmid, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Paul Dörig

    Lucas Tam Guest

    "Paul Dörig" <> wrote in news:3f857501_4
    @news.bluewin.ch:

    > who buys which?

    Ixus - point and shoot, pocketable, small, for the novice user

    300D - Novice enthusiast who has outgrown point and shoot cameras, and
    wants the ability to change lenses.

    If you get the 300D, you'll end up wanting a smaller camera for times when
    discretion is needed such as dinners, parties, etc.

    However, if you get a Digital Ixus, you'll end up wanting a more
    sophisticated camera for demanding photograph (i.e. Travel)

    It's a no-win situation... I bet you'll end up buying both (sooner or
    later).

    --
    Lucas Tam ()
    Lucas Tam, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Paul Dörig

    Mark B. Guest

    "Paul Dörig" <> wrote in message

    > Hi
    > i would like to switch to digital photography. with the prices at canon
    > nearly the same for those two differt camera philosphies i wonder which

    main
    > differences there are between them (besides beeing able to use different
    > lenses of course with 300d). which main advantages/disadvantages ? who

    buys
    > which?
    > And finally: how serious is the dirt problem on the chip if i get the 300d
    > (do you do your own cleaning?)
    > thank you.
    > Paul

    Geez, you couldn't have picked two that are further apart. One is a compact
    digicam with a teeny tiny sensor, the other has an APS sized sensor that has
    less noise at ISO 800 than the IXUS at 200. One is great if you need a
    pocketable digicam, the other if you need lens interchangeability. Quality
    wise, the 300D blows away the IXUS. You need to decide whether you want
    portability or system flexibility (lenses, external flash, etc.) in a
    digital cam.

    Mark
    Mark B., Oct 10, 2003