new digital camera...G5? or what?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mark coomey, Dec 14, 2003.

  1. mark coomey

    mark coomey Guest

    I'm after a new digital camera.

    After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    My First Digital Camera was A Nikon 990. I loved that camera. It took
    great photos. Great Sharpness and true colour definition, and I loved
    using the macro lens, getting around 3-4 cm from the subject. I had two
    major problems with it.

    1. It was pathetic in low light, could not focus to save itself.
    2. The AA Rechargeable batteries were a pain, but the housing that
    contained it was very weak and lead to the demise of this camera when
    the small plastic supports that kept the housing closed snapped off.

    With all the switches and buttons on my Nikon, I found myself being lazy
    and wanting to revert back to what I had before I went digital, more the
    compact camera, slip it in your pocket convenience. press the button. As
    long as I had a good lense , even no zoom wasn't much of an issue.

    So I moved 'up' in the world and bought a sony dsc-p7. Hmmm...seemed ok
    at first. Took better pictures in low light. The macro lens now
    restricted me to 10cm shots which was **very** disappointing. Also low
    light shots appeared to me to contain considerable noise. Also, I now
    had not enough control. I wanted to be able to go back to my aperture
    control settings and shutter priority of the Nikon. Even tring to take a
    photo of my daughter jumping off a rock into the lakewater was missed by
    the sony.

    So then came the decision that I need to sell my sony before it is
    worthless. And after a year of owning it, I sold it to a friend who
    wanted it for exactly what it took, effort free digital images.

    I have looked through the internet and have almost decided upon the
    canon G5. In my mind it almost fits the bill. Here's the features that
    I'm looking for.
    at least 4 megapixels
    A good lens.
    Manual control as well as automatic controls.
    Good colour definition.
    Fast camera speed between photos, and startup.
    Excellant macro ability.
    4x zoom
    Preferrably rechargeable rather than AA batteries.
    Slow shutter speed
    Natural to hold (a lot of camera put me off with their rather unusual
    shapes and curves. I'd like to have a camera that sits well in the hand
    and feels like a camera)
    good auto and low light focus
    Not too heavy or too large and clunky.
    Twistable LCD display a bonus.
    Reputable brand.

    The other feature that I hadn't put into the equation but the canon G5
    has is time lapse. I work in moving images for TV and this would be a
    most **excellant** feature.

    The other cameras I was looking at was:

    The Canon S400. It has several things going for it. Great lense. Great
    picture quality. compact. more control settings. However, I think it may
    be a little too small to hold, the dials are a little stiff and
    cumbersome. LCD display small.

    Sony V1. This is a great size. Has all the features. Light weight. Rates
    highly at various sites. Feels good to hold. However, I'm a bit put-off
    by my last sony purchase. The menu system onboard the camera looks
    tiresome. Short battery life sounds annoying. macro isn't as close as I
    want.

    Nikon 5400. looks also to be pretty good. I was pretty impressed with my
    nikon 990, if I could find a more standard looking unit that had the
    same controls. However, the 5400 has low light focusing problems as
    well. So it was soon off the list.

    Canon A80. Was also an option. Seemed to have quite a few feature
    similar to the G series.

    As you can see, I'm still a little hesitant. I think I'd still sway
    towards the G5 unless someone can convince me of something I've missed.

    I've also read recently that a G6 may raise it's head early next year.
    That it will be more compact, and have some nice new features. I'm not
    going to buy until next year. Should I see what eventuates with the G6?

    Thanks for any comments,
    Mark Coomey

    mark coomey, Dec 14, 2003

  2. mark coomey

    Jim Waggener Guest

    "mark coomey" <> wrote in message
    > I'm after a new digital camera.
    >
    > After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    > interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    What's your budget?

    Jim Waggener, Dec 14, 2003

  3. mark coomey

    mark coomey Guest

    > What's your budget?

    I believe the cost of a G5 is nearing the top end of my money strings!

    Mark

    mark coomey, Dec 14, 2003
  4. mark coomey

    > > What's your budget?

    > I believe the cost of a G5 is nearing the top end of my money strings!
    >
    > Mark

    Then buy a G3

    Jim Waggener, Dec 14, 2003
  5. mark coomey

    R2D2 Guest

    mark coomey <> wrote in news:mcoomey-
    :

    > I'm after a new digital camera.
    >
    > After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    > interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    The G3 is a better camera and you can use the price difference to buy a
    nice memory card.

    R2D2, Dec 14, 2003
  6. mark coomey

    NightThumper Guest

    >The G3 is a better camera and you can use the price difference to buy a
    >nice memory card

    Hows that??? The G3 runs $498 and the G5 runs $513. What price difference???

    NightThumper, Dec 14, 2003
  7. mark coomey

    R2D2 Guest

    (NightThumper) wrote in

    >>The G3 is a better camera and you can use the price difference to buy
    >>a nice memory card

    > Hows that??? The G3 runs $498 and the G5 runs $513. What price
    > difference???

    G5 down that low? I still would buy the G3 instead. Use the extra money for
    a 12 pack of beer.

    R2D2, Dec 14, 2003
  8. mark coomey

    Pete Rissler Guest

    > I have looked through the internet and have almost decided upon the
    > canon G5. In my mind it almost fits the bill. Here's the features that
    > I'm looking for.
    > at least 4 megapixels
    > A good lens.
    > Manual control as well as automatic controls.
    > Good colour definition.
    > Fast camera speed between photos, and startup.
    > Excellant macro ability.
    > 4x zoom
    > Preferrably rechargeable rather than AA batteries.
    > Slow shutter speed
    > Natural to hold (a lot of camera put me off with their rather unusual
    > shapes and curves. I'd like to have a camera that sits well in the hand
    > and feels like a camera)
    > good auto and low light focus
    > Not too heavy or too large and clunky.
    > Twistable LCD display a bonus.
    > Reputable brand.

    The G3 or G5 will fill your requirements, except for the "Excellent Macro
    Ability". At best these two have mediocre macro capabilities. To increase
    the macro you'll need to add close-up filters. Here's a link using a G5 with
    some close-up filters.

    http://www.tccycling.com/equipment/canon_g5_macro.htm

    As for the "Not too heavy or too large and clunky" that something you'll
    have to determine. The G5 is nowhere near compact, unless you have big
    pockets. It has been described as "boxy".

    The main difference between the two is the G3 is 4MP vs. the G5 5MP.
    Evidently with the 1 MP increase of the G5 you get slightly more "purple
    fringing" and a slight increase in noise. Personally, I downloaded several
    photos from the G3 and G5 off the web and evaluated my shooting conditions
    and needs and bought the G5. I've been very satisfied with my purchase.
    Here's a couple of links to reviews, they both have sample images you can
    download.

    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/g5.html
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_g5-review/index.shtml

    --
    Pete Rissler
    http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

    Pete Rissler, Dec 15, 2003
  9. "Pete Rissler" <> writes:

    >The G3 or G5 will fill your requirements, except for the "Excellent Macro
    >Ability". At best these two have mediocre macro capabilities. To increase
    >the macro you'll need to add close-up filters. Here's a link using a G5 with
    >some close-up filters.

    It's worth noting that the G3/G5 will approximately fill the frame with
    something the size of a business card. This is quite good macro
    capability when compared with most non-digital cameras of any sort, and
    probably better than what most people will need.

    There are similar cost digicams that do focus closer (e.g. Nikon), so if
    close focus is really important to someone they're probably best to look
    elsewhere. But the Canons are far from "mediocre" in the macro
    department.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Dec 15, 2003
  10. mark coomey

    gr Guest

    "mark coomey" <> wrote
    > I'm after a new digital camera.
    >
    > After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    > interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    Consider the Olympus C-5050. It's a better camera than the G5 (or G3). 1"
    super-macro focusing, pixel mapping, bright lens, metal body, AA battery
    tech, etc. It's about the same price as the G5.

    gr, Dec 15, 2003
  11. You could also look at the new Panasonic DMC-FZ10, it has all you need
    and more, like a 12x Optical stabilized zoom.

    Peter Parlewicz, Dec 16, 2003
  12. mark coomey

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "gr"
    Date: Mon, Dec 15, 2003 5:06 AM

    "mark coomey" <> wrote
    > I'm after a new digital camera.
    >
    > After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    > interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    Consider the Olympus C-5050. It's a better camera than the G5 (or G3). 1"
    super-macro focusing, pixel mapping, bright lens, metal body, AA battery
    tech, etc. It's about the same price as the G5.

    >><BR><BR>

    But the G3 is HIGHLY recommended and the 5050 is recommended at DPReview.

    FredBillie, Dec 16, 2003
  13. mark coomey

    gr Guest

    "FredBillie" <> wrote
    > But the G3 is HIGHLY recommended and the 5050 is recommended at DPReview.

    Gee, what a surprise, coming from a site with a strong pro-Canon bias.

    Look around for other reviews. Taking one person's opinion as gospel is a
    sure way to make the wrong decision. Hey, both the G3 and C5050 are great
    cameras. IMO, the C5050 has some very useful features and build quality that
    makes it a better buy. Dpreview didn't like it as much because
    (1) It's not Canon, and
    (2) They used a very badly done noise test that was strongly weighted
    against the Olympus which uses a much higher default sharpening setting.
    This is, of course, fully customizable, and lowering the sharpening level to
    something more like the Canon line results in much cleaner images. (Which
    you can only tell with a magnifying glass anyway.)

    Oh, Olympus later lowered the default sharpening level with the latest
    version of firmware. I guess they got tired of people reading dpreview and
    not thinking past their nose. It's a shame that dpreview continues to do
    those noise and crom. tests without adjusting for differences in internal
    sharpening, contrast, and saturation algorithms. I guess since Canon uses
    lower sharpening levels and that favors them, dpreview doesn't mind
    continuing to publish rubbish. Oh, and they don't even list such key
    features as pixel mapping in their feature list. Again, I guess because
    Canon doesn't support it.

    gr, Dec 16, 2003
  14. mark coomey

    NightThumper Guest

    I can't speak to any other camera model except the G5. I just recieved mine
    the other day and am absolutely delighted with it. No regrets

    NightThumper, Dec 16, 2003
  15. mark coomey

    John Horner Guest

    > After weeks of scouring the internet for information on models I'm
    > interested in..I've 'almost' decided on the G5.

    I really do not like the feel of a G5 in hand, and the poor placement of the
    viewfinder with respect to the lens barrel is a rookie design mistake one
    expects from a $19.99 Chinese point and shoot .... not from Canon.

    I purchased the Olympus C-5060 which for me is a much finer instrument to
    use than is the G5.

    John

    John Horner, Dec 22, 2003