New Dells

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Swizzard, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Swizzard

    Swizzard Guest

    I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.

    Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    they want to sell computers?

    pullgees
    Swizzard, Nov 3, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Swizzard

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Swizzard) wrote in news:997b6724.0311031325.184fa3f8
    @posting.google.com:

    > Do
    > they want to sell computers?
    >


    Yes, but their theory seems to be based on "We can sell less computers and
    make money if we outsource to cheaper countries and cut back on quality."

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    website: under construction
    Need a technician in the south Jersey area?
    email/IM for rates/services
    DeMoN LaG, Nov 3, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Swizzard

    Night_Seer Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > (Swizzard) wrote in
    > news:997b6724.0311031325.184fa3f8 @posting.google.com:
    >
    >> Do
    >> they want to sell computers?
    >>

    >
    > Yes, but their theory seems to be based on "We can sell less
    > computers and make money if we outsource to cheaper countries and cut
    > back on quality."


    I had to deal with Dell call centers, and people I couldn't understand
    one bit. I should have never gotten a Dell in the first place, but now
    I will really never buy one.

    --
    Night_Seer
    Night_Seer, Nov 3, 2003
    #3
  4. Swizzard wrote:

    > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
    >
    > Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    > understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    > also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    > they want to sell computers?
    >
    > pullgees


    First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
    floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
    what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
    that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
    most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
    economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
    it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)

    Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
    mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
    floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
    everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
    128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
    floppy drive anyway IMO.)

    As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
    work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
    possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
    communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)
    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 3, 2003
    #4
  5. Swizzard

    JC Guest

    I've had a bad experience with Dell customer service and support as well.
    That includes phone calls that were a total waste of time and direct email
    questions that only received the "form letter" answer and a run around. Now
    they won't even respond to my emails. Of course why should they? I'm only
    a customer who sent them a great deal of money not too long ago! I regret
    ever buying anything from them.


    "Swizzard" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
    >
    > Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    > understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    > also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    > they want to sell computers?
    >
    > pullgees
    JC, Nov 4, 2003
    #5
  6. Swizzard

    Plato Guest

    Swizzard wrote:
    >
    > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.


    So what. One can buy PCs with no drives at all. You get what you pay
    for.




    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Nov 4, 2003
    #6
  7. Swizzard

    Guest

    On 3 Nov 2003 13:25:56 -0800, (Swizzard) wrote:

    >I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    >CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    >is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.


    I don't understand the complaint. It is a menu. You sellect what you
    do and do not want. If you want CDRW but no floppy, they don't buy a
    floppy. If you want a floppy, buy it.

    >Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    >understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    >also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    >they want to sell computers?


    I have had excellent service from the support people.

    Haven't tried sales, but that's why they have a menu.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem
    , Nov 4, 2003
    #7
  8. Swizzard

    Guest

    On 3 Nov 2003 13:25:56 -0800, (Swizzard) wrote:

    >I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    >CD r/w....


    If you are looking at the menu that does not show prices of each
    individual option, try locating the link in a box to the right. It
    will take you to a menu where prices of each up or downgrade are
    shown.

    Roy - Carpe Noctem
    , Nov 4, 2003
    #8
  9. Swizzard

    Swizzard Guest

    Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Swizzard wrote:
    >
    > > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    > > understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    > > also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    > > they want to sell computers?
    > >
    > > pullgees

    >
    > First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
    > floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
    > what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
    > that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
    > most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
    > economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
    > it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)


    Wrong they are sold without floppy drive. Yes of course there are
    options, if you ask for them. A first time computer user/buyer might
    not relize that.
    >
    > Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
    > mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
    > floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
    > everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
    > 128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
    > floppy drive anyway IMO.)


    I'm not familiar with a USB keychain drive but if that is a portable
    separate drive then that's fine. I'm talking about an exterior disc
    so that if something goes wrong you have all your documents saved on
    that disc floppy or CD. Do these drives you mention come with all
    Dells even bottom of the range?

    > As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
    > work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
    > possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
    > communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)


    This is sound advice for the call centres. If a customer is having
    difficulty hearing because of bad pronouciation or a rough line after
    finally getting through, then that call centre is failing resulting in
    lost sales and Dell has just lost mine.

    pullgees
    Swizzard, Nov 4, 2003
    #9
  10. Swizzard wrote:
    > Calvin Crumrine <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Swizzard wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    >>>CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    >>>is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    >>>understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    >>>also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    >>>they want to sell computers?
    >>>
    >>>pullgees

    >>
    >>First, it's not that they're sold without floppy drives-mostly the
    >>floppy drive is available as an option. While I disagree with Dell about
    >>what should be standard in the end it's up to the buyer to make sure
    >>that they get everything they need. With bootable CD's I've found that
    >>most people go for years without using their floppy drives-so
    >>economically it makes sense to get rid of them. (But then economically
    >>it often makes sense to get rid of insurance too.)

    >
    >
    > Wrong they are sold without floppy drive. Yes of course there are
    > options, if you ask for them. A first time computer user/buyer might
    > not relize that.


    All that I've seen have had them listed right there on the options
    page-not necessary to ask for them, although if you're ordering over the
    phone...

    I have seen a number sold on eBay, etc. which don't have options &
    therefore don't have floppies-but then I've never understood the status
    of those sales since Dell claims that they only sell direct. My best
    guess is that although these might be 'new in box' Dell would regard
    them as used-although if they've never been set up & registered it
    probably doesn't matter to them.

    >
    >>Second, I'm not sure why you say there's no means to back up-perhaps you
    >>mean "no means I want to use". The Dells I've seen that came without the
    >>floppy drive came with a USB keychain drive. While it won't hold
    >>everything it'll hold the essential files. (The smallest I've seen is
    >>128MB-if you're backing up more data than that then you don't want a
    >>floppy drive anyway IMO.)

    >
    >
    > I'm not familiar with a USB keychain drive but if that is a portable
    > separate drive then that's fine. I'm talking about an exterior disc
    > so that if something goes wrong you have all your documents saved on
    > that disc floppy or CD. Do these drives you mention come with all
    > Dells even bottom of the range?


    Yes, portable separate drive (actually, Flash RAM IIRC). Not sure if
    most PC's can boot from it-probably depends on the BIOS-but if Dell's
    smart (debatable) then they made sure that *their* PC's could boot from
    it before they started offering it in place of the floppy drive.

    As for all Dells, don't know. If it doesn't have a Customize button then
    I don't bother looking at it.
    >
    >
    >>As for the call center, I've not had any problem with them. Of course I
    >>work with all *sorts* of people. Speak clearly, with as little accent as
    >>possible, and really *listen* and you should have little trouble
    >>communicating. (Basically, don't take communication for granted-work at it!)

    >
    >
    > This is sound advice for the call centres. If a customer is having
    > difficulty hearing because of bad pronouciation or a rough line after
    > finally getting through, then that call centre is failing resulting in
    > lost sales and Dell has just lost mine.
    >
    > pullgees


    Definitely good advice for both customers & call centers. Advice was
    worded for customers because I was *talking* to a customer. If I'd been
    talking to Dell I would have worded the same advice for the call center.
    Calvin Crumrine, Nov 4, 2003
    #10
  11. Swizzard

    Peace2Peace Guest

    Re: New Dells' Name = Hell

    I think Dell is thinking of changing its brand name to HELL.

    Hi JC

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 00:23:52 GMT
    "JC" <> wrote:

    > I've had a bad experience with Dell customer service and support as well.
    > That includes phone calls that were a total waste of time and direct email
    > questions that only received the "form letter" answer and a run around. Now
    > they won't even respond to my emails. Of course why should they? I'm only
    > a customer who sent them a great deal of money not too long ago! I regret
    > ever buying anything from them.
    >
    >
    > "Swizzard" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.
    > >
    > > Has anyone tried communicating to Dell's call centre in India? Can you
    > > understand them, was the line crisp and clear? Not when I tried and
    > > also I got routed to the switchboard twice when I wanted Sales. Do
    > > they want to sell computers?
    > >
    > > pullgees

    >
    Peace2Peace, Nov 5, 2003
    #11
  12. Swizzard

    Albert Day Guest

    I'm glad I read this, I will never buy a Dell computer.
    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    news:3fa74f69$0$95875$...
    > Swizzard wrote:
    > >
    > > I see that some new Dell desktops are sold without any floppy drive or
    > > CD r/w therefore no means to back up. Is this normal practice now? It
    > > is an utterly stupid idea. Like buying a car without a spare wheel.

    >
    > So what. One can buy PCs with no drives at all. You get what you pay
    > for.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Albert Day, Nov 5, 2003
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=

    New computer, New OS, New Wireless Problem :-\

    =?Utf-8?B?RGFu?=, Jul 28, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    573
    Malke
    Jul 31, 2005
  2. paul j
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,310
    paul j
    Apr 7, 2005
  3. Alick Lv
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    3,850
  4. Anon

    Help me decide between two Dells

    Anon, Feb 19, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    301
    bmoag
    Feb 19, 2006
  5. Tom Del Rosso

    New Dells with XP Pro x64 for CAD

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 10, 2005, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    334
    Charlie Russel - MVP
    Aug 10, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page