    --

    Reply in group, but if emailing add
    2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

    Tom Del Rosso, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Tom Del Rosso

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Tom Del Rosso" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking for a new CAD workstation, which will do a lot of math
    > intensive
    > engineering simulations as well as AutoCAD drafting. It will be in a
    > Windows domain. I don't know at this time exactly what apps will be used,
    > but they will be specialized for things like concrete stress analysis.
    >
    > I'm trepidacious about compatibility with XP Pro x64, and not sure how
    > great
    > the advantage is going to be. Most of what I've read is about driver
    > issues, but this will be bundled with a Dell, so application compatibility
    > is probably the only issue. What's your perspective, if you've used this
    > OS
    > for engineering apps?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Reply in group, but if emailing add
    > 2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

    Dell is using Intel procs with EM64T; If you want speed for apps like CAD,
    you should buy an AMD64 processor, or the newer AMD X2 Dual core. AMD
    chips far outperform their Intel counterparts. AMD64 chips have an onboard
    memory controller and use the much faster hypertransport bus, neither of
    which Intel has. AMD chips are designed from the ground up as 64 bit chips
    (and are now the standard for x64), while Intel is still trying to get EM64T
    to run on it's P4 "64 bit" chips. Simply pick up any recent computer
    magazine, and you will find tests that confirm that AMD is a far superior
    chip.
    Ex: July, 2005 issue of PC World Magazine, page 28.
    Maximum PC magazine, August Issue, Page 20.
    Etc, etc, etc.

    Seems as if Intel has lost it's edge...kinda sad really, watching their fall
    from grace...but yet I say to AMD:
    More power to ya!

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Aug 10, 2005

  3. "The big benefits of course will not be realized by the consumer or
    enthusiast, but by persons in technical environments who use memory and
    mathematically intensive applications such as databases. Windows XP
    Professional x64 provides the highest levels of performance and scalability
    for Digital Content Creation, Computer Mechanical Design & Analysis and for
    Financial & Data Analysis. "

    So, Windows XP Professional x64 is definitely target for your type work
    scenario.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2005
  4. This is a good fit for you. Even though there isn't, yet, a 64-bit version of
    AutoCAD, so far as I know, it's certainly something we can expect from them.
    And other large engineering applications should also be moving in that
    direction if they're not already there. And some are. Even many existing
    32-bit apps will benefit from the additional virtual memory address space
    available to 32-bit apps in the WOW64 subsystem, IF they were written to take
    advantage of additional memory, which many engineering apps have been. You
    might find
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/techinfo/overview/x64benefits.mspx
    interesting as well.

    The real issue for you is likely to be drivers if you need support for
    specialized hardware (such as large format plotters, for example). The Dell
    folks won't take responsibility for anything outside of their box, so you
    need to think about any issues there.

    And, unlike what Bobby said, the EM64T chips are a perfectly viable
    alternative. For what you're doing, I'd recommend using dual core CPUs, and
    multiple CPUs if you can -- that Dell Precision 670 for example is a pretty
    good choice.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Tom Del Rosso

    NNBXX Guest

    True. I have a dual Xeon Dell Precision 670 workstation, and it is
    definitely a *perfect* tool for CAD. Very fast rendering, for example.
    Faster than equivalent dual Opteron. Sorry for AMD fans, but AMD is not the
    Number One everywhere ;)

    NNBXX, Aug 10, 2005
  6. It's a good box, even though I won't buy Dell any more. And, in the winter,
    think of all you'll save on heating bills -- with the dual Xeons you'll
    practically heat the entire house. :(

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005
  7. Tom Del Rosso

    John Barnes Guest

    Interesting since most Dell 64-bit workstations recommend Linnux.

    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2005
  8. Tom Del Rosso

    John Barnes Guest

    Now looks like they have split it and are delivering some workstations with
    Windows X-64 installed. Great.

    John Barnes, Aug 10, 2005
  9. But AutoCAD isn't available for Linux.

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 10, 2005
  10. Yes. I've actually worked with the Precision 670 (worked on the support for
    automatic deployment of them for MS Business Desktop Deployment 2.5). Nice
    machine.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 10, 2005