    adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.

    Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)

    Thanks in advance.

    Chad S, Jun 9, 2007

  2. Chad S

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Chad S" <> wrote in message
    news:g3Aai.17318$...
    >I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    >dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy
    >who I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday
    >and find to my horror that I all I have is a great Dell desktop with
    >everything usb behind it and the only thing with the pin plug behind is for
    >the screen that came with it. I just do not know how to connect my modem
    >(Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go onto
    >Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to a
    >usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Should have read the SPECS huh? What model Dell?

    Adapters are no problem. Go shopping.

    Parallel:
    http://www.xpcgear.com/usb2parallel.html?gclid=CIXk2qa2z4wCFRK1YgodfAs-tQ
    http://www.buyextras.com/usbtoparallel.html?gclid=CKrK47G2z4wCFQ8uYAodflJIrw

    Serial:
    http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_288.html
    http://www.buyextras.com/setousbco.html?gclid=CIuRi7a3z4wCFQtzYAodhX_VrQ

    Millions more out there: shop happy!

    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007

  3. Chad S

    olfart Guest

    > "Chad S" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    >>dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy
    >>who I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday
    >>and find to my horror that I all I have is a great Dell desktop with
    >>everything usb behind it and the only thing with the pin plug behind is
    >>for the screen that came with it. I just do not know how to connect my
    >>modem (Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go
    >>onto Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >>computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to a
    >>usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >>one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >>25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > Should have read the SPECS huh? What model Dell?
    >
    > Adapters are no problem. Go shopping.
    >
    > Parallel:
    > http://www.xpcgear.com/usb2parallel.html?gclid=CIXk2qa2z4wCFRK1YgodfAs-tQ
    > http://www.buyextras.com/usbtoparallel.html?gclid=CKrK47G2z4wCFQ8uYAodflJIrw
    >
    > Serial:
    > http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_288.html
    > http://www.buyextras.com/setousbco.html?gclid=CIuRi7a3z4wCFQtzYAodhX_VrQ
    >
    > Millions more out there: shop happy!

    problem is the serial and parallel adapters don't always work with all types
    of hardware. I tried one on my XPS to hook up an old scanner and never could
    get it to go.

    olfart, Jun 9, 2007
  4. Chad S

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "olfart" <> wrote in message

    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Chad S" <> wrote in message
    >>>I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    >>>dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy
    >>>who I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday
    >>>and find to my horror that I all I have is a great Dell desktop with
    >>>everything usb behind it and the only thing with the pin plug behind is
    >>>for the screen that came with it. I just do not know how to connect my
    >>>modem (Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go
    >>>onto Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >>>computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to
    >>>a usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >>>one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >>>25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.
    >>>

    >> Should have read the SPECS huh? What model Dell?
    >>
    >> Adapters are no problem. Go shopping.
    >>
    >> Parallel:
    >> http://www.xpcgear.com/usb2parallel.html?gclid=CIXk2qa2z4wCFRK1YgodfAs-tQ
    >> http://www.buyextras.com/usbtoparallel.html?gclid=CKrK47G2z4wCFQ8uYAodflJIrw
    >>
    >> Serial:
    >> http://www.usbgear.com/usa/item_288.html
    >> http://www.buyextras.com/setousbco.html?gclid=CIuRi7a3z4wCFQtzYAodhX_VrQ
    >>
    >> Millions more out there: shop happy!
    >>

    > problem is the serial and parallel adapters don't always work with all
    > types of hardware. I tried one on my XPS to hook up an old scanner and
    > never could get it to go.

    Quite true - especially with scanners and tape backups, stuff like that. I
    think maybe it's because the parallel interface isn't native for those
    devices in the first place - weren't they were originally SCSI, then
    adapted?

    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007
  5. Chad S

    Chad S Guest

    Well I did read the specs just I asked all the questions that I needed to
    ask and got yes's to all of them so I guess Im stuck for now. And yes my new
    Dell is the DimensionTM E521
    Thanks for the website addresses, I will check them out!

    Chad S, Jun 9, 2007
  6. Chad S

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-09, olfart <> wrote:
    > "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote in message
    >> "Chad S" <> wrote in message

    [...]

    >>I just do not know how to connect my
    >>>modem (Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go
    >>>onto Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >>>computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to a
    >>>usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >>>one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >>>25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    [...]

    >> Adapters are no problem. Go shopping.

    [...]

    > problem is the serial and parallel adapters don't always work with all types
    > of hardware. I tried one on my XPS to hook up an old scanner and never could
    > get it to go.

    I used a 'serial' modem with a serial/USB adaptor for years. The OS
    couldn't auto-detect the modem, only the USB adaptor, but manual set-up
    was fine. I confess I never tried it with a Windows OS, only Linux.

    If there is a free PCI slot inside the PC, a 'serial card' could be fitted
    to get a serial socket or two. Likewise for a parallel socket. You might
    find PCI cards that have both in the one card.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jun 9, 2007
  7. Chad S

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Chad S" <> wrote in message
    > Well I did read the specs just I asked all the questions that I needed to
    > ask and got yes's to all of them so I guess Im stuck for now. And yes my
    > new Dell is the DimensionTM E521
    > Thanks for the website addresses, I will check them out!

    Well, there ya go:
    http://www.dell.com/content/product...imen_e521?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~tab=specstab

    The specs. With pics. No serial, no parallel.
    There ARE two PCI slots. Maybe cheaper (and more effective) than those
    adapters would be an add-on card that puts a serial and a parallel port into
    the computer:

    http://www.usbgear.com/pci-dual-serial-single-parallel-card.cfm
    http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...37&satitle=pci i/o serial parallel&category0=

    WhzzKdd, Jun 9, 2007
  8. Chad S

    Plato Guest

    Chad S wrote:

    > I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    > dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy who
    > I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday and

    Many new PCs dont have serial ports as they assume you will be using USB

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jun 10, 2007
  9. Chad S

    Felony Bob Guest

    "Chad S" <> wrote in message
    >I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    >dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy
    >who I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday
    >and find to my horror that I all I have is a great Dell desktop with
    >everything usb behind it and the only thing with the pin plug behind is for
    >the screen that came with it. I just do not know how to connect my modem
    >(Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go onto
    >Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to a
    >usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >
    > Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    An internal modem card will run you $10-15 in the store, less online.

    Felony Bob, Jun 10, 2007
  10. Chad S

    Alfred Guest

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 21:56:12 -0400, "Felony Bob" <bob@fedpen> wrote:

    >"Chad S" <> wrote in message
    >>I recently bought a new Dell Desktop and when I bought it (since Im on
    >>dial-up) I asked about me installing my external modem to it and the guy
    >>who I spoke to said 'No problem' Anyways I receive the desktop yesterday
    >>and find to my horror that I all I have is a great Dell desktop with
    >>everything usb behind it and the only thing with the pin plug behind is for
    >>the screen that came with it. I just do not know how to connect my modem
    >>(Askey 56K Data Fax Voice Modem PnP) to this computer before I go onto
    >>Broadband. So Ive boxed it back up again and gone back to my current
    >>computer :-( Is there some sort of converter from a ninepin male plug to a
    >>usb so that I can still connect my modem or do I just have to buy a new
    >>one? I also have the same type of problem for my printer which has a male
    >>25pin plug and need an adaptor for that to connect from a usb adaptor.
    >>
    >> Any ideas on what I need to look for (technical name for the adaptor?)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>

    >An internal modem card will run you $10-15 in the store, less online.

    Or something like this
    http://tinyurl.com/38oyrj
    USB to Serial 9-Pin Male Adaptor

    But it may need drivers