    Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    start with.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004

  2. Hugo Drax

    DJ Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:51:11 -0500, "Hugo Drax" <>
    wrote:

    >Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better than
    >my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    >

    >Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    >important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    >start with.

    Don't buy one though. In 2006 Minolta will release the Dimage '06 which will be
    even better. If you must buy one hurry up before the price drops.

    DJ, Jan 28, 2004

  3. Hugo Drax

    end user too Guest

    "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    than
    > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    Is that black plastic or magnesium body on the D70? Where is that info on
    the website? Love that 1/8000 shutter!

    end user too, Jan 28, 2004
  4. Hugo Drax

    fuzzface Guest

    "Hugo Drax" <> schreef in bericht
    > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    than
    > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    You don't have a 10D to start with. Ur only concern is brand. IF u own a
    better camera, can U make better photographs with it? Don't think so (hence
    the old masters)

    > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    > start with.

    Yeah a Nikon D2H versus the upcoming 1D mark II? bye bye Nikon!
    lol.

    fuzzface, Jan 28, 2004
  5. Hugo Drax

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Hugo Drax wrote:

    > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better than
    > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    Sigh.. wait a year.. the D70 will be old and outdated too :)

    Jim Townsend, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Hugo Drax

    Charlie Self Guest

    Hugo Drax babbles:

    >Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better than
    >my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    >

    >Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    >important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    >start with.

    You've seen some specs. Neither you nor anyone else outside Nikon has seen
    anything else, nor will they for some time to come. I'd say that camera is late
    and not kicking ass.

    Charlie Self
    "To create man was a quaint and original idea, but to add the sheep was
    tautology." Mark Twain's Notebook

    Charlie Self, Jan 28, 2004
  7. 1) It's not kicking anything yet. It should be a great camera, but there's no need to be wasting
    all that kleenex over it until it's tried and tested.

    2) Nikon aren't dropping any "big one on the entry level market". They're simply responding to a
    competitive threat. A full year afterwards.

    --
    Colm

    "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    : Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better than
    : my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    :
    :

    Colm Gallagher, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Hugo Drax

    end user too Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > Hugo Drax babbles:
    >

    > >Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    than
    > >my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    > >

    > >Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > >important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    > >start with.

    > You've seen some specs. Neither you nor anyone else outside Nikon has seen
    > anything else, nor will they for some time to come. I'd say that camera is

    late
    > and not kicking ass.

    Beware: The Nikon support site does not even show the D70 exists!

    end user too, Jan 28, 2004
  9. I agree with Charlie. He knows his cameras AND woodworking tools.

    Nikon should've released that camera at the 2003 PMA. Timing is everything,
    and its going to take a while and some superior engineering for Nikon to
    overcome the head start they let Canon get in the DSLR market.

    Glenn de Souza
    Scottsdale, Arizona

    Glenn de Souza, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    "fuzzface" <> wrote in message

    > Yeah a Nikon D2H versus the upcoming 1D mark II? bye bye Nikon!
    > lol.

    Ahh yes, the same speed with 4 megapixels more that PJ's generally don't
    want, and continuing the tradition of bizarre canon ergonomics.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 28, 2004
  11. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "fuzzface" <> wrote in message

    > "Hugo Drax" <> schreef in bericht
    > > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    > than
    > > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    > You don't have a 10D to start with. Ur only concern is brand. IF u own a
    > better camera, can U make better photographs with it? Don't think so

    (hence
    > the old masters)

    Your post makes no sense.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004
  12. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "Colm Gallagher" <> wrote in message
    > 1) It's not kicking anything yet. It should be a great camera, but there's

    no need to be wasting
    > all that kleenex over it until it's tried and tested.
    >
    > 2) Nikon aren't dropping any "big one on the entry level market". They're

    simply responding to a
    > competitive threat. A full year afterwards.
    >
    > --
    > Colm

    yes it is 999 gets you much more with nikon VS what Canon does at 1500 so
    this means the DSLR price wars will really start at the entry level.Good
    news for everyone.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004
  13. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    than
    > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    >

    > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    > start with.

    Once AGAIN...Nikon is too little-too late.

    I HOPE it is a killer camera though, as that can only make Canon answer back
    with even more vigor than they already do. Frankly, I'd guess Canon ALRADY
    has their "answer" in the works, as Canon seems able to nearly always be a
    step or two faster than anyone.

    Mark M, Jan 28, 2004
  14. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message

    > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    > than
    > > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    > >

    > > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    > > start with.

    > Once AGAIN...Nikon is too little-too late.
    >
    > I HOPE it is a killer camera though, as that can only make Canon answer

    back
    > with even more vigor than they already do. Frankly, I'd guess Canon

    ALRADY
    > has their "answer" in the works, as Canon seems able to nearly always be a
    > step or two faster than anyone.

    Its never to little too late, remember there are millions still shooting
    film and/or P&S digital. I already know 3 film shooters who are going to
    jump on this new Nikon bodies like flys on shit. I will be the only guy
    shooting a Canon DSLR out of the group. When someone asks me for an entry
    level DSLR I would have to answer D70. I think this is a great think only
    cheaper and better from here on down. I give Nikon a thumbs up for this.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004
  15. "Mark M" <> writes:

    > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately better

    > than
    > > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    > >

    > > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand they
    > > start with.

    > Once AGAIN...Nikon is too little-too late.

    Why is it always "too little too late" with Nikon, and yet Canon is
    always "one step ahead"?

    --
    "I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...
    I want to achieve it through not dying."

    Aaron J. Ginn, Jan 28, 2004
  16. "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in

    > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately
    > better than my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    <chuckle> Nikon responds a bit late to the 10D, and you're assuming Canon
    has no announcement at PMA. I wouldn't make that assumption.

    > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand
    > they start with.

    I think we should wait for some independent testing to see whether this is
    "the big one"; to be honest, Nikon's been a follower in the digital market
    for years, and this is yet another example.

    --
    Albert Nurick www.TheDeliciousLife.com
    A guide to the good life

    Albert Nurick, Jan 28, 2004
  17. They'll be announcing next year's Nikon ;-)

    --
    Colm

    Colm Gallagher, Jan 28, 2004
  18. Hugo Drax

    Mark M Guest

    "Aaron J. Ginn" <> wrote in message
    > "Mark M" <> writes:
    >
    > > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in message
    > > > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately

    better
    > > than
    > > > my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.
    > > >

    > > > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > > > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand

    they
    > > > start with.

    > > Once AGAIN...Nikon is too little-too late.

    > Why is it always "too little too late" with Nikon, and yet Canon is
    > always "one step ahead"?

    Ask Nikon.
    I don't know why they've been so slow to bring new products to market.
    Canon has long been the pioneer of image stabilization...Nikon is still
    trying to respond adequately...8 years later. Canon has been first to
    market with the consumer level DSLR, and is still breaking new
    ground--several years after the D30 broke the barrier. Now with teh
    sub-$1K, Canon is again at least a year ahead of Nikon.

    Mark M, Jan 28, 2004
  19. Hugo Drax

    Gavin Cato Guest

    > Now with teh
    > sub-$1K, Canon is again at least a year ahead of Nikon.

    Gosh you speak some drivel.

    The image stabilization has some merit but the rest is utter crap.

    Gavin Cato, Jan 28, 2004
  20. Hugo Drax

    Hugo Drax Guest

    "Albert Nurick" <> wrote in message
    > "Hugo Drax" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Wow looks like Nikon is kicking ass with its D70, its definately
    > > better than my 10D body for 500 less, and forget the Crippled Drebel.

    > <chuckle> Nikon responds a bit late to the 10D, and you're assuming Canon
    > has no announcement at PMA. I wouldn't make that assumption.
    >
    > > Nikon decided to drop the big one on the entry level market which is
    > > important since the new people will invest and stick with the brand
    > > they start with.

    > I think we should wait for some independent testing to see whether this is
    > "the big one"; to be honest, Nikon's been a follower in the digital market
    > for years, and this is yet another example.

    I think this time they have something positive with the D70 and I know 999
    is a sweet spot price for the featureset. I am glad this happened, this
    means Canon will have to respond with cheaper and better products. Everyone
    wins if Nikon is a strong competitor. You should be glad they came out with
    the D70.

    Hugo Drax, Jan 28, 2004