new CRT problems

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Mac, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Hi, i have a 19" Mitsibishi 1996FD monitor.
    It is set at 85 Hz. and the resolution is 1152*864.

    When i am viewing powerpoint slides, and the slide switches from a completly
    black slide to a white slide, the monitor seems to take a while to get
    focused to the text.
    Its only takes a millisecond or so, but it is long enough to notice, and
    causes a little eye strain.
    Is there something wrong with my refresh steetings?

    The same thing occurs when i minmise a dark screen window(eg, a web page
    with a dark backround), the text on the desktop for the icons is blured for
    a millisec or so, before it becomes clear.

    Also when veiwing a white screen (such as in a wordprocessor), the projected
    image is "narrow", but when a black screen is projected, the image is wide
    so that i have to adujst the monitor settings to make the whole screen fit
    in.(i have posted a image to http://www.imagestash.com/files/18164.jpg to
    show this )

    +>Also, this problem is easliy seen when in excel: initially all the cells
    are white (and the projected image is "narrow"), but when i highlight the
    cells , so they are now black, the projected image becomes wider.

    Thanks for any help with this, im just wondering if this is normal for a 19"
    CRT?

    Mac

    Mac, Sep 3, 2004

  2. Mac

    Thor Guest

    > Thanks for any help with this, im just wondering if this is normal for a

    19"
    > CRT?

    Send it back. Clearly isn't working as it should.

    Thor, Sep 3, 2004

  3. Mac

    Kenny Guest

    I have a CTX 19", have resolution set at 1280x1024 which is what CTX
    recommends. Have refresh rate set at 60Hz though I'm not sure if that's
    correct.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Sep 3, 2004
  4. Mac

    JK Guest

    What video card do you have? Is it slow integrated video?

    JK, Sep 3, 2004
  5. Mac

    Jerry G. Guest

    In any case, if there is a change of anything to do with the scans, the
    monitor would need at least the time span of 2 to 4 frames to change. At 85
    Hz, the frame rate is 11.6 ms. At 4 frames, this works out to 20 ms, or
    1/5 of a second. This is why when you change the scans on any monitor, you
    will see the delay of both the software to re-address the display, and then
    the display itself.

    If the display is changing size with the amount of brightness from the tube
    (CRT), this means that the high voltage (HV) is not regulating properly.
    This type of fault can be from the high voltage section, scan circuits, or
    from the power supply section.

    When the screen goes to higher luminosity, either from more contrast, or
    more brightness, the HV current will go up, thus the HV itself is
    decreasing. This is because there is a higher demand for beam current. This
    places more load on both the power supply and the HV generator that is being
    powered from the power supply. At the same time, if the supply is dropping,
    the scans will also drop, due to the added load.

    If the supply is good, and the HV generator is not able to properly regulate
    its output, the raster size will also change with variations of brightness.
    This is because when beam current goes down, the beam is easier for the
    deflection yoke to pull during the scans. Therefore a larger raster will be
    seen. Higher beam current means a higher rate of mass in the electron beam,
    therefore it is harder for the deflection yoke to pull the beam for the
    deflection.

    The reason for any delays in this action, is because time is required for
    the various circuits to respond. There are electrolytic de-coupler
    capacitors (stabilizing and noise reduction capacitors) in the distribution
    of the power for the various circuits. These will take some time to respond
    to changes of characteristics, thus, the delay in this respect.

    When running a monitor at higher scan rates, this also puts more stress on
    the deflection circuits. It also puts more stress on the power supply. As
    the monitor is aged, and many of the internal components start to wear down,
    the performance of the monitor will degenerate with age. The higher the scan
    rates being demanded, the warmer the power supply and deflection circuits
    will run.

    There comes a time when the monitor would have to be either serviced or
    replaced. Considering if the monitor is more than a few years old,
    consideration must be taken to the condition of the CRT, and to the rest of
    the monitor. It would never be feasible to change a CRT, or too many of the
    internal parts. Most of the manufactures don't even support after warranty
    service for most computer monitors, unless the model is a very expensive
    type that is used for very high end cad, or photo systems applications. Some
    of the TV service centres can repair general computer monitors, as long as
    they can find generic parts that can work in them, they don't require the
    service manual for the particular fault, no specialized tools or jigs are
    required, and the customer is willing to fork out the dollars for the labour
    and the parts.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Sep 3, 2004
  6. Mac

    Rv! Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message news:...
    > In any case, if there is a change of anything to do with the scans, the
    > monitor would need at least the time span of 2 to 4 frames to change. At 85
    > Hz, the frame rate is 11.6 ms. At 4 frames, this works out to 20 ms, or
    > 1/5 of a second.

    1/50 of a second. Nothing else checked.

    Rv!, Sep 3, 2004
  7. Mac

    Mac Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for all your help,
    I am running the monitor on a Geforoce FX5200 card,
    and bought to montor new,
    i think i will have to take it back to the retailer(now that i am armed with
    the technical knowledge)

    thanks again!,
    Mac

    Mac, Sep 4, 2004