New critical update for Internet Explorer 6 (win98)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by kirk lives!, May 2, 2004.

  1. kirk lives!

    kirk lives! Guest

    Windows Update is telling me that this update is available.

    Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167)
    Download size: 378 KB, 2 minutes
    An identified issue may cause errors when Internet Explorer attempts to
    renew a connection to a server. You should apply this update if you begin to
    receive errors connecting to websites after you have applied the KB832894
    security update to Internet Explorer. After you install this item, you may
    need to restart your COMPUTER

    Does anyone know what sort of problems I'd be having if the above update
    should be installed? Could/Would installing it if I didn't need it cause
    some other problem with my machine.

    Recently my computer has been freezing almost hourly. Could this be result
    of the problem?

    P.
    kirk lives!, May 2, 2004

  2. kirk lives!

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 07:33:44 +0100, "kirk lives!" <> wrote:
    >Windows Update is telling me that this update is available.
    >
    >Critical Update for Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 (KB831167)
    >Download size: 378 KB, 2 minutes
    >An identified issue may cause errors when Internet Explorer attempts to
    >renew a connection to a server. You should apply this update if you begin to
    >receive errors connecting to websites after you have applied the KB832894
    >security update to Internet Explorer. After you install this item, you may
    >need to restart your COMPUTER
    >
    >Does anyone know what sort of problems I'd be having if the above update
    >should be installed? Could/Would installing it if I didn't need it cause
    >some other problem with my machine.
    >
    >Recently my computer has been freezing almost hourly. Could this be result
    >of the problem?
    >
    >P.

    Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.

    You can also try this to see if it works:
    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
    Right-click "My Computer", "Performance" tab, Click "Graphics" button
    Unk, May 2, 2004

  3. kirk lives!

    kirk lives! Guest

    ----
    Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.

    You can also try this to see if it works:
    Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
    Right-click "My Computer", "Performance" tab, Click "Graphics" button
    -----

    Just one thing before I look at that.

    The freezing only began after I installed a wireless mouse. Looking at the
    Min system req. on the box it says "Pentium CPU". I have (just!) found out I
    have an Intel Celeron CPU.
    Could this be the cause?
    The mouse seems to work fine..... until the freezing happens, then nothing
    happens and I must switch off power (CTRL-ATL-DEL not work either)

    P.
    kirk lives!, May 2, 2004
  4. kirk lives!

    Stevo Guest

    "kirk lives!" <> wrote in message
    > ----
    > Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    > Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    > clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    > Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.
    >
    > You can also try this to see if it works:
    > Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
    > Right-click "My Computer", "Performance" tab, Click "Graphics" button
    > -----
    >
    > Just one thing before I look at that.
    >
    > The freezing only began after I installed a wireless mouse. Looking at the
    > Min system req. on the box it says "Pentium CPU". I have (just!) found out

    > have an Intel Celeron CPU.
    > Could this be the cause?
    > The mouse seems to work fine..... until the freezing happens, then nothing
    > happens and I must switch off power (CTRL-ATL-DEL not work either)
    >
    > P.

    I have seen this happen with a couple of different brands of wireless
    mice/keyboards..

    If you still have the old cabled mouse, try reinstalling that to see if the
    problem keeps happening...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, May 2, 2004
  5. kirk lives!

    Rick Merrill Guest

    .... freezing from overheating ...

    This genuine phrase must be the oxymoron of the day!
    Rick Merrill, May 2, 2004
  6. kirk lives!

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "kirk lives!" <> wrote in message
    > ----
    > Most common cause of freezing seems to be overheating and memory problems.
    > Check to see that all the internal fans are working correctly and not
    > clogged or obstructed. Reseat the memory, or try 1 stick at a time.
    > Leave the case cover off to see if it runs cooler and stops freezing.
    >
    > You can also try this to see if it works:
    > Try lowering the "Hardware Accelerator" setting a notch or two.
    > Right-click "My Computer", "Performance" tab, Click "Graphics" button
    > -----
    >
    > Just one thing before I look at that.
    >
    > The freezing only began after I installed a wireless mouse. Looking at the
    > Min system req. on the box it says "Pentium CPU". I have (just!) found out

    > have an Intel Celeron CPU.
    > Could this be the cause?
    > The mouse seems to work fine..... until the freezing happens, then nothing
    > happens and I must switch off power (CTRL-ATL-DEL not work either)
    >
    > P.

    No, it's not the CPU type. A Celeron is modeled after the Pentium II
    processor (scaled back, but still more than a Pentium).
    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004