    I figure it was in the driver cd envelope and got dragged into the drive
    mechanism when I used the cd. So instead of debugging my system I
    delabelled it this weekend.
    Colin Barnhorst, Aug 30, 2006

  2. Colin Barnhorst

    Jane C Guest

    LOL that's a new one...delabelling ;) Glad the box is up and running.
    Sounds great. :)
    My DVD burner decided to go to that resting place in the sky, so I now have
    a brand new Pioneer one. XP x64 didn't bat an eyelid at the hardware
    change. Running as solid as ever. Vista 5536 on the other hand made a
    lovely song and dance about finding new hardware and installing drivers.
    Show off it is ;o)

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation ;)

    Jane C, Aug 30, 2006

  3. Colin:
    I thought that I was the only one that did stuff like that. I had
    the same thing happen when I was installing the raid drivers on this
    computer with a floppy. The third installation wouldn't read the floppy for
    the drivers, when I changed the floppy I found an unknown piece of paper in
    the old drive. At least the floppy drive was much cheaper but just as
    aggravating.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Aug 30, 2006
  4. Colin Barnhorst

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 00:54:37 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote:

    >I figure it was in the driver cd envelope and got dragged into the drive
    >mechanism when I used the cd. So instead of debugging my system I
    >delabelled it this weekend.

    Good thing you found the culprit before you were completely bold :)

    Jud Hendrix, Aug 30, 2006
  5. A classic, Colin. Thanks. Made my morning.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 30, 2006
  6. On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 07:54:37 +0100, Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst
    <@msn.com>> wrote:

    > I spent the weekend shaking out my new Core 2 Duo E6600 box. XP Pro x64
    > installed in about fifteen minutes. It zips right along.
    >
    > When I said shaking out, I meant it literally. My primary optical drive
    > suddenly wouldn't read a cd. After tearing my hair out for a couple of
    > hours, one time when I ejected yet another cd a small label (Powered by
    > Asus) fell out on to the floor. After that the optical drive worked just
    > fine.
    >
    > I figure it was in the driver cd envelope and got dragged into the drive
    > mechanism when I used the cd. So instead of debugging my system I
    > delabelled it this weekend.

    I am VERY impressed by mt E6600 system I put together a few weeks back. I
    went for a Asus P5B motherboard. Decent board, but VERY picky about
    memory modules. Once it's up and running, rock solid stability, and earth
    shattering performance...
    Mark Gillespie, Aug 30, 2006
  7. Colin Barnhorst

    DP Guest

    As Gilda Radner said many many many years ago: "It's always something!"

    DP, Sep 4, 2006