    time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them you
    must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
    able to sell you goods here.

    Woger, Jul 19, 2009

  2. Woger

    Peter Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
    > same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
    > them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
    > will not be able to sell you goods here.

    Yes, that is pretty much the case. There is no secret about it.
    USA is trying to tell developing countries that they need to enact
    oppressive copyright laws (so the USA corporations make more money).

    Actually, what developing countries need is the type of copyright laws that
    USA had when it was a developing country in the 19th century. Back then,
    USA media industry freely copied whatever foreign material they liked
    (Charles Dickens was a favourite) and only had to respect local copyright
    material.

    For another angle on modern trends where media law and technology
    intersects, check out the video from this site ...
    http://www.ripremix.com/

    Peter

    Peter, Jul 19, 2009

  3. Re: New Copyright laws

    In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
    > same time ...

    Something to do with all this file sharing popping up all over the western
    world at the same time?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2009
  4. Woger

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message

    > Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
    > same
    > time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them
    > you
    > must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
    > able to sell you goods here.

    Welcome to Earth, Alien.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jul 19, 2009
  5. Woger

    Peter Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
    > same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
    > them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
    > will not be able to sell you goods here.

    The idea that companies with obsolete business models, or entrenched
    interests could use copyright law to rip off consumers and artists is not
    new.

    USA debate from 1909
    http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2009/07/17/were-we-smarter-100-years-ago/

    UK debate from 1841
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329

    The striking thing is that how little is really new in this debate, and how
    maybe we *were* smarter back then.

    Peter, Jul 19, 2009
  6. Woger

    eyes Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the same
    > time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us them you
    > must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you will not be
    > able to sell you goods here.

    Especially when most countries seem to quash the new laws they keep on
    raising their ugly head.

    I suspect its that new ACTA treaty that is so secret we are not allowed
    to know what it is about.

    eyes, Jul 19, 2009
  7. Woger

    impossible Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Woger wrote:
    >>
    >> Why are these new laws all popping up all over the western world at the
    >> same time, me thinks its the US waving a big stick, if you trade with us
    >> them you must have strict punishable laws for copyright abusers, or you
    >> will not be able to sell you goods here.

    > The idea that companies with obsolete business models, or entrenched
    > interests could use copyright law to rip off consumers and artists is not
    > new.
    >

    > USA debate from 1909
    > http://www.thepublicdomain.org/2009/07/17/were-we-smarter-100-years-ago/
    >
    > UK debate from 1841
    > http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/4/25/1345/03329
    >
    > The striking thing is that how little is really new in this debate, and
    > how
    > maybe we *were* smarter back then.

    What? Nothing from the 17th or 18th centuries to justify illegal downloads?
    How disappointing is that!

    impossible, Jul 19, 2009